Gazing adoringly at a glass of water

@FayeHazel (19038)
So, awhile ago - I saw an ad for a popular water softening company. The ad, which was plastered on the side of a large van, featured a cute little girl gazing lovingly and adoringly at a glass of water. Hmm. Now I'm not dissing the benefits and downright health needs of water. Water is needed for life, and drinking enough plain water is needed for health. Clean water is often under appreciated - as in addition to drinking it - we need it to wash our bodies and our items. However I think the above appreciation of water is more of an adult understanding. I can remember from my own childhood that I usually preferred juice, milk or the occasional soda or flavored punch mix. How many kids would gaze that eagerly at a glass of water? The whole thing struck me as sort of funny. Photo: Pixabay
That reminds me of the time my dad was a little boy, and he was so thirsty he drank out of a mud puddle. It also makes me think of my niece whom, when offered a drink at a gas station, asked for Bug Juice. Oh, the names of sugary kid drinks!
@FayeHazel (19038)
Oh dear. Poor dad drinking out of a mud puddle. Ha! Bug juice. That's a good one.
The only time I ever gazed at a cup of water like that, was after a day in the fields lol.
@FayeHazel (19038)
Ah yes, when one is particularly thirsty there is nothing quite like a glass of water
@Spontaneo (1587)
A kid without good, pure, clean water. While growing up, we only had well water. I hated the well water. Well, when I would go into the city, I would always grab a glass of water. I always called it "city water". The city people would complain about it having chlorine. It tasted good to me!
@FayeHazel (19038)
You have a point. A kid without clean water would be the sort of kid to gaze adoringly at a full glass. It's funny. I'm the opposite. I miss the well water. City water is .... tolerable.
• Trinidad And Tobago
I hardly drink water when I was a kid. Even today it's hard for me. I mix in a little mauby to help me swallow.
@FayeHazel (19038)
I know, it's a struggle for me too to get enough water. I had to look up Mauby - we don't have it here. Sounds good! I find it helps to store some water in a glass jar in the fridge and add some fruit, gives it a light flavor. That helps. :-)
• Trinidad And Tobago
@FayeHazel Indeed. I am thinking of putting lemon in the water to drink. Mauby is made from a bark and I just love how refreshing it is.
@FayeHazel (19038)
@Gita17112016 Lemon water is very good. I also like adding lime, or cucumber. Some people like adding mint leaves, that isn't my favorite though. I wish we had mauby.
I doubt that I ever even had water as a kid! It was always milk. Ick!
@FayeHazel (19038)
Lol, same here too! Apple juice, please!
@FayeHazel If we were lucky, we had soda or Kool Aid!
@FayeHazel (19038)
@DianneN Oh Kool Aid was the best, wasn't it? Esp. the weird flavors like blue!
I am sure not many kids would gaze at it unless there was a cell phone in the picture. They are too busy with their cell phones these days.
@FayeHazel (19038)
Ha ha! Exactly
@FayeHazel I see you liked that Faye.
@zarlamain (24889)
Kids who hardly see clean water in their lives. Kids who are thirsty for water. Kids who live in third world countries.
@zarlamain (24889)
@FayeHazel Yes, so many things we take for granted are rare for people around the globe. It's really sad. Yes, it sure is.
@bluesa (14187)
• Johannesburg, South Africa
True! I still prefer juice or punch mix over water. Lol
@FayeHazel (19038)
Unfortunately the same is true with me
@bluesa (14187)
• Johannesburg, South Africa
My nephew actually loved milk but would ask more for water than milk or juice. I was very proud.
@FayeHazel (19038)
That is a great habit - I'm happy he was into water early on
@KrauseHome (35522)
Maybe they live in an area where the Water is not good to drink so they never get a chance to drink much of it, or their family does not give them much water to drink. I know many times parents never think about the importance of water so they often only give their child Milk, Kool aid, Juice, etc
@FayeHazel (19038)
True - I think the only kids that would (realistically) be that enthused are maybe kids who are deprived.....? It's true, it seems like a lot of kids tank up on other drinks.... which (I think) should be saved for treats
Your right the little girl in the photo probably isn't very realistic. Both my kids hate water. I drink it a lot but preferred just about anything but when I was young.
@FayeHazel (19038)
Ah yes, I'm ever trying to drink more water myself. That does make sense - when we're young it seems harder to deal with the fact that water is boring
Not many a kid would choose a glass of water over a soda or juice, I would think. Perhaps if kids see that kid staring eagerly at that glass of water, they will do the same.
@FayeHazel (19038)
Hm, that's a good point too, maybe they are trying to encourage good habits that way. :-)
As the times get worse and our natural resources deplete every second, it is no wonder that the gaze of a child on a glass of water has some serious rippling effect . . .