The words "I love you"

Pleasant Hill, California
I love hearing those words. There's a kid at the preschool who I "get" better than most for some reason. She's 3 1/2 and just a tad OCD. Things have to be "a certain way" for her and I've figured out those ways. Today, she dropped an "I love you, Horse" on me, and my heart melted just a bit. I think it was when I tucked her in for nap time (in just the right way, of course). I said "I love you too." That got me to thinking about who else I use those words with. There's my brother, two buddies, my 94-year-old Auntie, and a small handful of others. They are words that are wonderful to hear, and wonderful to say, but shouldn't be used too casually, in my opinion. Do you get to hear/use those words often? Are there times when you've heard or said those words, and were not sure whether it was the right thing?
Well.... There are different " I love you`s" for different types of love. Yes I say it often to family.
• Pleasant Hill, California
I'm glad I have certain friends I can say it to.
@TheHorse Me too
@rhpinc (1323)
• Santa Barbara, California
So true. I have experienced many of these different loves. Even love of Hate, which may or may not be a good thing...
@kobesbuddy (46701)
• East Tawas, Michigan
My daughter and son are very loving adults. They always remember to reassure me, with these words I so desperately need to hear. Of course, I confirm my love for them, in return. Aubrey our six year old granddaughter is very verbal, she never forgets to tell us how much she loves us. As you said, it melts my heart!
• Pleasant Hill, California
I'm glad your granddaughter is able to express her love and appreciation.
@kobesbuddy (46701)
• East Tawas, Michigan
@TheHorse She's quite young, but an extremely loving child:)
• Pleasant Hill, California
@kobesbuddy To me, that means shes been well loved.
@nanette64 (17612)
• Fairfield, Texas
Oh what a sweet, little girl @TheHorse . I don't use them unless I mean it.
• Pleasant Hill, California
Me neither. My little friend is a tad mad at me right now.
@nanette64 (17612)
• Fairfield, Texas
@TheHorse Uh-oh.
• Pleasant Hill, California
@nanette64 Yep, we had a few arguments this week.
• Eugene, Oregon
I say it a lot and it is returned with my wife and daughter. In the past, I was shocked to hear it a time or two and even more shocked that I heard myself impulsively utter the words.
• Pleasant Hill, California
I don't use those words that often. Maybe I should have more often in my younger days.
• Eugene, Oregon
@TheHorse That is when the trouble starts though.
• Pleasant Hill, California
@JamesHxstatic I wouldn't have used them when I didn't mean them.
@Platespinner (16520)
I have children. I use those words daily and hear them daily as well. Precious words they are!
• Pleasant Hill, California
Wu has never told me he loved me.
@TheHorse He really doesn't look like the type. If it's any consolation Emmett has never told me he loves me either (he is currently only allowed to interact on discussions that he starts himself--I don't trust him).
• Pleasant Hill, California
@Platespinner I'm worried that being small and plastic can lead to emotional issues.
I'm sure those words melted your heart. I don't say them a lot any more, but I still do to my siblings and my very good friend, and of course my children.
• Pleasant Hill, California
I'd like to hear them more.
@TheHorse I'm sure you're not alone. I would like to hear them more as well.
Daily to Vince at some time of the day or other and to our sons when they ring. Otherwise not too often - and not to friends.
• Pleasant Hill, California
Not even to old friends you may not see for a long time?
@TheHorse No, not straight out like that. I think they'd look at me very strangely if I did. However, I could easily say something like 'how lovely to see you' but that's about it. And I might end letters or emails with 'love, Judy'.
We use those three words within the family all the time . . . Hubby, kids, and I. Other than that, I don't really ever say that . . . my own family never says that to each other (maybe it's an old-style Japanese thing). Like you said, it shouldn't be used casually . . . sometimes a not-close friend might say that just to say it, but it's weird and I can't get myself to say it back . . . I just say "oh that's so sweet". I couldn't tell a person I love them unless I really love them!
• Pleasant Hill, California
I agree. Maybe there are cultural differences. I don't know.
The only human being I tell those words as often as I can is my son. And I mean it with all of my heart and soul. I have never ever done that to anybody at all not even my parents when they were still alive. But among my parents' children, I was the only one who would write them notes out of the blue and tell them I love them.
• Pleasant Hill, California
Do you know why that is?
@TheHorse Why I love my son so much?
• Pleasant Hill, California
@toniganzon Why you were the only one who would tell your sibs you loved them.
@dodoazo (19720)
Three-word phrase makes everyone spells bound. It makes the recipient happy and inspired especially it is said or expressed sincerely.
• Pleasant Hill, California
Sincerely. I worry when it's used to liberally.
@dodoazo (19720)
@TheHorse Well, we use it liberally among us in our family but not to others. We are too cautious of using them.
• Pleasant Hill, California
@dodoazo I have no problem using those words among family.
We have two different way in Italian to say "I love you", one is for your husband/boyfriend/lover, the other is for all those you love, friends, brothers, sisters, family. I say "I love you" to my husband every day and I hear the same from him.
• Pleasant Hill, California
Can you tell me the two phrases? In French, if I say, Je t'aime," can it apply to either situation?
@TheHorse In French is like in English, they also have the phrase "Je t'aime" in Italy we say "ti amo" to your husband/lover/partner and "ti voglio bene" to all the others. Our English teacher used to say that only in Italy we have this subtle difference.
• Pleasant Hill, California
@LadyDuck Does it apply to those in the Italian speaking part of Switzerland as well?
@Spontaneo (1392)
I say "I Love You" to family. One day I hope and pray that I may say it to a man I would hope to marry. I cannot even remember my last date.
• Pleasant Hill, California
Romantic love is always a good thing. But it's also time-consuming!
@Spontaneo (1392)
@TheHorse LOL If I ever find a man that is not married or gay, I could think of some clever things to do with my time... :)
• Pleasant Hill, California
@Spontaneo Well, the best looing guys are all gay. I'd recommend the ugly and productive.
@BabeSays (1829)
• Mauritius
My hubby is the only one who tells me I love you from morning to night and vice versa. I would give anything to hear these three words from my mother. Unfortunately I don't think that'll ever happen.
• Pleasant Hill, California
How come?
@BabeSays (1829)
• Mauritius
@TheHorse Because she doesn't say what's in her heart. People make her hate me. She has been chatting to everyone and people advice her bad about me. I know this because one night I was staying at her place and I overheard her conversation with her friend. Since it was on loud speaker I was able to hear everything. Her friend was telling her. You don't need your daughter. You have to be selfish now. She is married. You need to live your life and stop talking and thinking about her. She has her husband to love her. Ever since my mother kept getting away from me by emotions. Once I called my mom and told her I was sick and I wanted to see her. She said your tears has no effects on me anymore. And why should I come to see you. You have your husband to look after you. I am not coming. :'(
@TheHorse I believe I have heard those words. It is so special that the little said that to you because you understand and care.
@rhpinc (1323)
• Santa Barbara, California
I love to love :)