The Stillwinter's House: Flash Fiction

@patgalca (14649)
Orangeville, Ontario
Here is the story I wrote about a certain band I "know". This story was written in 15 minutes at writing group. Turns out it is 90% true. They don't have a basement but a "back house". The rest is pretty accurate. The prompt is in bold at the end. ~~~~~~~~ The Stillwinter’s House “It’s a pretty rundown old house,” said Ian as they wandered through the rental unit in a Southern California neighborhood. “But it’s cheap,” said Richie. They were two members of a band who thought living together would make life easier. “It’s three bedrooms. Obviously Gabby and Verenna can move in with us.” “Still, a third bedroom,” added Ian. “We need more people to help pay the rent. “Zoro is always couch surfing. He could join us.” Ian stood in the living room looking around thoughtfully. “I guess it will do if we can come up with the money.” “There is a basement. A great place to practice.” Richie led the way through a door and down stairs. “Yeah,” Ian agreed as he looked around at the sparsely finished room with wood panelling and old quilted carpeting. “This would work.” “Hello?” came a female voice from above. “We’re down here,” Ian called out. Gabby and Verenna, Ian and Richie’s respective girlfriends, made their way down to the proverbial rec room. “What do you think?” Richie asked. “I’m glad I’m not a member of the band and don’t ever have to come down here,” said Gabby. “What do you mean? This is a cool spot,” Richie gave her a puzzled look. “Cool is right,” Gabby agreed as she pulled her sleeves down over her hands. “Is there any heating down here?” Richie and Ian looked at each other. “It’s not cold down here, Gabs,” Ian said. “In fact it’s hot and stuffy,” Richie added. Ian went over to his girlfriend and put an arm around her. “You’re shivering, girl. You sure you’re not coming down with something?” “I find it a little chilly too,” Verenna added hugging herself. Richie rolled his eyes. “I guess it’s a good thing you’re not a member of the band either.” Verenna gave Gabby a sideways glance. “We went through the rest of the house,” Gabby said. “It’s fine, great, cheap. I could live here. But I’m not coming down into this basement – ever.” “Me neither,” Verenna agreed. Ian and Richie looked at each other puzzled, then back at the girls. “The basement suits our purposes for band rehearsal,” Ian said. “Good. Fine. Whatever.” Gabby started back up the stairs. Verenna was close behind her. “There’s more to this than it just being chilly, which it is not,” said Ian. “What’s going on Gabby?” She stopped half-way up the stairs and peered down at them. “The truth?” Richie and Ian nodded. “[/b]I swear I see ghosts everywhere down here[b]. Good luck with rehearsals.” She rushed up the stairs with Verenna close behind her.
@Srbageldog (8254)
Awesome story! Does the band actually live together? I used to think bands all lived together when I was younger, like The Monkees!
@patgalca (14649)
• Orangeville, Ontario
Three members of the band live there. There are (were) 5 members in the band but the drummer just quit. I think there may be another room mate who is not in the band. I'm not really clear on that because I know there are 3 bedrooms and they told me the only thing I got wrong was the basement.
@patgalca That is so cool. Yeah, houses in California don't typically have basements...at least none that I've ever heard of. I checked out this band's website and listened to a couple of their songs. I like them. I will have to check out more of their work.
@patgalca (14649)
• Orangeville, Ontario
@Srbageldog I'm glad you checked them out. They're live.me program is awesome. They draw cartoon pictures of all their followers when they've been there for a certain number of times. Eventually you get a song, which I have, and eventually a video. I'm not there yet. If you go to their website, in the live.me column you will see a place where you can listen to all the songs. You can scroll down until you see my name and listen to my song.
@BarBaraPrz (21073)
• St. Catharines, Ontario
Thanks for posting this. Good story. So what if they don't have a basement? It's fiction! Are you going to continue the story re: the ghosts and their shenanigans?
@patgalca (14649)
• Orangeville, Ontario
It's no big deal that they don't have a basement. I was just pointing out it was the ONLY thing that was not right. They actually do believe that room where they rehearse is haunted. I don't think I will continue, maybe. Right now my focus is getting my current novel done. I am determined to finish it within the next couple of months. I really only need a weekend to myself to do it. Easier said than done.
Pretty cool story well done.
@patgalca (14649)
• Orangeville, Ontario
Thank you. I forgot to say what the prompt is. I have edited the text. The line in bold at the end is the prompt.
@silvermist (20114)
Nice story.Quick thinking.
Great story. Enjoyed this. Could some ghosts be banging on some drums?