JJ's Vinyl Madness Countdown #661

By JJ
I can't remember not knowing who this is. I know my Mom bought his 'Golden Hits' album when I was 5, and I just have a few hazy memories prior to that. I think she may also have had this one, because I remember being very familiar with the song 'The Moon Is High' which is on this album and not on the 'Golden Hits' release. But Mom's not around these days to ask, and for some unexplained reason she threw all her records away long before she died. The world may never know...I sure don't. Roger Miller - Roger and Out
This brilliant song by "Roger Miller" was released in 1964 and this is my favourite song by Roger and he made so many great songs.
They ought to just take a rope and hang you.
From the highest tree?
@FourWalls (13340)
@JolietJake -- Scar will weep for you.
@FourWalls Set free, Scar will be a King of the Road.
@FourWalls (13340)
Never heard of him. That album has one of my favorite opening lines in a song: “well, the moon is high and so am I.”
Huh, I can't imagine you of all people showing up here
@FourWalls (13340)
@JolietJake — don’t forget, the last word in lonesome is me, and the last word in Kroger is Roger!
I knew this one would stymie you!
@Rollo1 (16649)
• Boston, Massachusetts
Strangely, I sometimes have occasion to think kindly about Roger Miller. He was kooky and a little bit cool. He was being strange long before Lyle Lovett came along and showed people that country singers aren't all right in the head. King of the Road might come to mind now and then, and I often remind whiny family members "you can't roller skate in a buffalo herd, but you can be happy if you've a mind to".
There's a line in one of his songs (England Swings) that goes "Westminster Abbey, the tower of Big Ben" that when I was really young I was positive said "Where's Mr Abby"
Why? why would she just throw them away? They could have been sold for a price had she kept it. Nice to hear something like this, at least it's not just presley that I'm familiar with.
That sounds like quite the banjo picking going on in that song.
@silvermist (20107)
Never heard any of his songs.