I Can Drive Stick, But I Do Not Like To

I can drive a car with manual transmission thanks to my husband's love of sports cars. He is a good teacher, and I caught on right away. However, I do not like driving a car with manual transmission due to all the work involved in driving a car that has that darn stick shift. Pressing the clutch with my left leg makes the knee I injured in high school gymnastics take a beating. When I stop on a hill with the clutch engaged, the car will roll back when I take my foot off the break to accelerate after the stop. That rolling back of my car has me panicking due to my fear of rolling back too much and hitting the car behind me. According to US News and World Report, only 18% of Americans can drive a car with a stick shift. Only around 5% of the cars sold in the US today have manual transmissions. I would think it would be rather difficult to resell a car with manual transmission. Also, the resale value of a car with manual transmission would most likely be less than the same car with an automatic transmission.
I don't see how all of you drive any kind of car; I know i could not do it so admire anybody who drives. Unless of course, all they do is crash into other cars on the road!
Well, I think when you start driver's training at age 15 and then get your license at 16, learning to drive is easy. I think the older a person gets, the harder it may be to learn to drive.
@FayeHazel (17981)
I do feel you there. It was difficult for me learning to drive. It is a big , and dangerous responsibility
@FayeHazel (17981)
@Marty1 Yes - I drive now. Though I am careful to plan my routes (I will go out of my way, or go at odd times of day to avoid busy routes that make me nervous) - and if I'm going somewhere new (another panic situation) I research it first as much as is possible. A lot of people don't "get it" though. I respect you for not pursuing driving if you do not feel comfortable .... but that must have been a cute joke lol
Soon we won't have to do any driving at all - just relax , take in the scenery, text, talk on the phone or read a book.
I would enjoy not having to drive ever again!!
@Madshadi (8937)
• Brussels, Belgium
And what about all those wasted hours of learning to drive?
@topffer (34091)
• France
Only 11% of cars in France have automatic transmissions. All my cars had manual transmissions, and I feel very uncomfortable with an automatic transmission, it is too wishy-washy, I am never sure to reach quickly a good speed to overtake another car. Although it is possible and cheaper to have a driving licence only for cars with automatic transmissions, French do not like them...
@mrki444 (953)
• Osijek, Croatia (Hrvatska)
You have different price driving licenses depends on transmission? In Croatia price is same.
@topffer (34091)
• France
@mrki444 The license is free (something like a 15 Euros fiscal stamp), but today in France it is mandatory to have 20 hours of driving lessons in a driving school to obtain a driving license for manual (and automatic) transmissions, but it is 13 hours for automatic transmissions only, so it is a 25% saving on the lessons. I had my car driving license 40 years ago, after only 5 hours of driving lessons. I had already a driving license for big bikes (500cc or more) which was more difficult to obtain than a car license, and there was no mandatory hours of lessons at this time.
@mrki444 (953)
• Osijek, Croatia (Hrvatska)
@topffer In Croatia you need to drive at least 20 hours of driving lessons in a driving school, but everything is on manual transmission. License is valid for both transmissions.
I have both on my car.Manual and automatic.The manual is easy now.Just push the paddle to shift it.Easy I use the manual on stormy days.
Yes, my husband has both on the car he has now. He called it paddle-shift. Sounds like a good idea to use the manual on stormy days.
@Corbin5 yes and icy driveway.LOL
@Raelove (16813)
• Saco, Maine
Makes sense. The lower gears on a manual give you more control on stormy days, in snow, etc.
@LeaPea2417 (20368)
• Toccoa, Georgia
I don't know how to drive a stick , I only drive an automatic.
I prefer automatic over stick. Stick is just too much work for me.
@LeaPea2417 (20368)
• Toccoa, Georgia
@Corbin5 I agree with you.
@alberello75 (17479)
• Genova, Italy
When I went to driving school, I would have liked, only cars with automatic transmission. But after becoming familiar with the clutch, well, interesting to me only the manual transmission!
Yes, most people who get used to driving a car with a manual transmission do really well. I drove our first car that had manual transmission all the time, but once we had automatic, I preferred that.
@alberello75 (17479)
• Genova, Italy
@Corbin5 instead I always manual transmission and I would not go back
@kobesbuddy (46238)
• East Tawas, Michigan
All our cars when I was growing up, had a manual transmission. When Bruce and I bought a car, we bought it brand new with a three on the floor! Is it my favorite way to drive, heck no
I would not be happy driving a three on the floor either.
@kobesbuddy (46238)
• East Tawas, Michigan
@Corbin5 Bruce and I loved it, because we could pop the clutch and screech the tires:(
@kobesbuddy Big kids!!!
My children like driving manual transmissions and I think it depends on the make and model of the car as to whether the price is less.
I think young ones do not mind the hassle of driving cars that have manual transmissions. For me, it is a chore.
@Corbin5 I hate the stick on a hill especially when there is a traffic light at the top!!
@BelleStarr That was the hill I avoided that was near our home. The one with the traffic light.
@sallypup (27060)
• Moses Lake, Washington
I learned to drive on a stick shift. Not sure I can do it now. My daughter drives a stick- gads on her constant shifting when I visited her in busy Tucson. She said that her legs were getting exhausted after a day of showing me around.
I bet it would come back to you. I hadn't driven one for decades, and when my husband bought a Corvette, I just hopped in and had no problem at all. Kind of like riding a bike.
@sallypup (27060)
• Moses Lake, Washington
@Corbin5 You driving a Corvette! I like that.
@sallypup I did drive it. Silver it was. Then came the silver Porsche. After that the black Jaguar F-type sitting in the garage now. I have never driven the Jaguar even though it has both automatic and manual. My husband is a car nut, but I have no interest in them. I have to say the Jaguar is the prettiest one of them all.
@nanette64 (17610)
• Fairfield, Texas
The first car I ever drove at 13 was a stick shift @Corbin5 . Dad wanted to make sure I could handle it. I hated the rolling backward thing too and can you imagine doing it today with the fact that people think they have to pull up TO YOUR BUMPER? Automatic for me all the way.
Me too!! That rolling back thing is just too scary these days. I despise those bumper-riders!!
@nanette64 (17610)
• Fairfield, Texas
@Corbin5 Yeah if I had a stick today, I would deliberately 'roll' backwards.
I have tried to learn to drive a stick but not easy for me. I loved automatic too much.
Automatic is so much easier.
@Corbin5 Yes it certainly is Deborah.
Here in Switzerland 85% of the cars have a manual stick, very different from the United States and from Sates where the land is flat.
I would avoid areas that had a slight hill due to fear of the car rolling back into the car behind. Thanks goodness for automatic.
@Corbin5 It depends on how people use the car. Acceleration with manual transmission is superior and automatic transmissions still need to be serviced far more often than manual transmissions . In Europe and Japan, more than 80 percent of cars sold have manual transmissions. This is very different in the United States. Different roads, different needs.
My fiancé owned majority stick shift cars. I did manage to learn but didn’t have the courage to go on streets just the parking lot. Learned but definitely not called passing enough lol. I stalled a couple of times and most definitely will never go on a Hill. I’m afraid of hills even in an automatic, lol. We didn’t have any problems selling stick shift cars here, just sold one last year.
Glad you easily sold that stick shift. The manual is just too much work for me.
@Corbin5 Yep too much work and there's a lot of traffic here.
I don't know anyone who can drive stick
Yes, not many people can these days.
My husband taught me to drive his sports car when we were first married. It, too, had manual transmission and it was fun for me for two days only. Never again!
Me neither!! Just not fun for me and way too much work.
@Corbin5 I don't like the paddles either on some cars. I may have to give up driving and use my bicycle.
@DianneN I think all three of our cars have the paddle. I have never used it since I haven't a clue as to where it is located.
@mrki444 (953)
• Osijek, Croatia (Hrvatska)
I also drive car with manual transmission. I had never drive a car with automatic transmission.
My sister is one of the few in the US who still likes to drive a car that has a manual transmission. For me, I drive the car that has automatic transmission. Easier for me.
@mrki444 (953)
• Osijek, Croatia (Hrvatska)
@Corbin5 I drive car with manual transmission since it's easier in fix in case of malfunctioning.
@mrki444 You made the right choice. Having a car that is difficult to fix can cost make repairs costly.
• Trinidad And Tobago
I learn to drive with both but it has been about 30 years since I drove a manual. All my cars are now automatic. And you can hardly buy a manual car any more. I learn to use my left foot on both clutch and break while the right touches the ex. I like knowing about things.
I am glad I learned how to drive a car with manual transmission, but do prefer automatic.
• Trinidad And Tobago
@Corbin5 I don't drive anymore. MY niece do that for me now.
@Madshadi (8937)
• Brussels, Belgium
I drive a car with manual transmission as well. Although I would prefer an automatic. By the way there are cars that don’t roll back immediately when taking foot off the break.
I remember that the Fiat Spider my husband had did not roll back, but the Corvette did. Maybe the Corvette rolled back because I am a lousy driver.
@Madshadi (8937)
• Brussels, Belgium
@Corbin5 I think only the really skilled drivers can manage to start a car uphill without rolling it back. It takes a lot of practice and getting used to. No matter how fast I put my foot on the accelerator my car always rolls back a bit.
@Madshadi I sure am relieved my car is an automatic. Whew!
We have separate licenses for stick and automatic driving. Most young people get a stick licence but most cars are automatic. I'm not really comfortable with a stick transmission any more.
That is so interesting regarding the separate licenses. I can imagine that young people probably enjoy driving stick. Like you, I am not comfortable with a car that has a stick shift.
I taught my oldest son how to drive stick after not having been in one myself in about 20 years. It's a bit like riding a bicycle for me. I drive the manual stick car in our fleet once in a while and always find myself looking for the clutch and trying to shift when I switch back to one of our automatic vehicles.
@Platespinner Just as a matter of interest it's mostly referred to as 'driving a manual' here. You don't often hear it referred to as 'driving stick'.
@UncleJoe (9936)
• Virginia Beach, Virginia
I much prefer an automatic. I shifted enough gears when driving trucks, and I never used the clutch after 1st gear.
That clutch really was hard on my old knee injury. The rolling-back thing got on my nerves too. It is surprising how so many people do not know how to drive stick in the US.
@UncleJoe (9936)
• Virginia Beach, Virginia
@Corbin5 When I started driving (cars), only the rich had automatic transmissions. I would loathe to drive a stick now.