Does watching English Movies really improve English?

By Tim
I hear often people saying watch English movies and get your English improved. When I try that, I often failed to understand even what they speak. Their accent is difficult to understand and they speak too fast. I tried to watch movies with subtitles but that doesn't seem to be helping my English improved also. I still find it difficult to understand their accent. Is there any better way to improve English?
@Asylum (48281)
• Manchester, England
The biggest problem is the calibre of English used in many films. As you say, there are also a great variety of accents to contend with.
I think reading English books will help you improve because it is written ina more proper term verses all of the confusing slang used in movies. However I've heard that people became fluent in Spanish from watching movies in Spanish. So maybe a combination of reading and watching will help.
@akalinus (15793)
If you need basic English first, watch children's programs. Sesame Street would be a good one. There are language classes for beginners also. You would have to search to find the information.
Thanks for the info. Of course, I do search online for more information. will appreciate if you can share any link or website for learning. I'm not sure if this allowed in mylot though.
Read. Read. Read. Also, converse in English with native English speakers.
@thelme55 (14574)
Yes, it does and it improves my vocabulary.
@mandala100 (43627)
@infoforall Within my own personal experience in a way yes my friend.
@nomus24g (22996)
rather than watching movies, reading increases your vocabulary...
One improves his or her new language skill by practicing reading, listening and writing.
• Pleasant Hill, California
A friend of mine DID learn German partially by watching German soap operas. I'd say speak to English speakers as often as possible. I want to go back to France so I can really learn French.