Turkey roll vs. Turkey

@FayeHazel (18027)
Do you ever like the cheap version of something, better than the actual version of said item? I'm like that with turkey, vs. turkey roll. A turkey baked to a golden brown is the centerpiece of many a holiday meal. However, I simply am not that impressed with it. I don't dislike it, I just am not crazy over the Thanksgiving staple of turkey. There is something to be said for the variety of food that can be made from the turkey such as soup... but other than that.... not a big fan. Any day I would take the much cheaper "turkey roll". Now that may not be the right name for it. When I searched photos for an images of turkey roll, I was presented with images of turkey meat rolled up with fillings. No. by turkey roll, I mean what is also called turkey roast. These were cheap when I was a kid, now they are around $5 and can serve 3-4 people, so it is still relatively cheap. It comes in a tinfoil pan and is sort of like meat loaf made out of ground turkey. Love that stuff! Photo:Pixabay
Turkey happens to be one of my favorites and prefer it over chicken and beef.
@FayeHazel (18027)
It's interesting people and preferences, isn't it?
I stopped eating meat 14 years ago - but I do remember years before I tasted a kind of processed turkey meat sandwich.
@FayeHazel (18027)
Congratulations on being vegetarian :-)
I've had that, and it's okay. I prefer the real bird. I know it's real, it's just all ground up.
@FayeHazel (18027)
I know I'm odd in this respect. (ha ha, many others too) ... I'm sure the actual turkey is better for you - less processed. In fact.... I think I will have my turkey roll tonight. YuM!
@FayeHazel It is less processed. I don't want to even guess at the sodium level in the turkey roll.
@bluesa (13421)
• Johannesburg, South Africa
Turkey is not a popular meat here. More South Africans try to make Turkey for Christmas but many more still stay with roast beef or lamb or chicken. I am happy you enjoy turkey roll, I really enjoy crumbed chicken. :-)
@FayeHazel (18027)
Mmmm, roast beef sounds great! (Actually to me sounds better than turkey) -- that crumbed chicken is good too. I haven't had it in a long time. You have inspired me. :-)
Here in Latvia turkey meat is expensive and not of good quality. Don't know what they feed those turkeys. What is good is a pressed kind of turkey meat which is great on sandwiches.
@FayeHazel (18027)
Oh that's funny. I wonder why it's more expensive there? I know a pressed beef that is quite tasty, too
For many people with a certain blood type, TURKEY meat is a staple and they do not wait for Thanksgiving to enjoy it; however with that meat I go with strictly off the bone, most minimally processed (just salt and broth and no chemical anything) and pay about 7 dollars a pound . . .
@FayeHazel (18027)
Meat off of the bone is the healthiest way to get it. I'm sure my beloved "loaf" or "roll" is highly processed. *sigh*
@FayeHazel it may not be just look at the ingredients--- usually less than 4 means it was almost all natural with minimal processing like just packaging WITHOUT added sodiums to so-call lock in flavor . . . look up a company called Dietz and Watson a brand of butchers who do not use chemicals to preserve their turkey deli meat
@FayeHazel (18027)
@enlightenedpsych2 It's good to know there are places who do not use a ton of chemicals -- sometimes it's scary reading those packages
• Pamplona, Spain
I have eaten another roll but made with beef. I like turkey like that also but have not eaten it over here rather in Great Britain. Enjoy it.
@FayeHazel (18027)
Ah yes, the is very similar to the beef roll :-)
• Pamplona, Spain
@FayeHazel I love beef roll in pastry although I have not made it or eaten it in ages.
@FayeHazel (18027)
@lovinangelsinstead21 Oh that sounds fun! I haven't had it in a pastry.....
I don't think I've ever seen that! So it's all premixed in a tinfoil pan and you just bake it (or it comes fully cooked)? I've seen that with beef - a premade meat loaf - but not ground turkey. Oh, but I do love "regular" turkey!
@FayeHazel (18027)
Oh yeah - all comes pre-mixed in a tinfoil pan - you just bake it. It's raw and it takes something like 3 or 4 hours to get done (!) but an easy meal. I managed to find a picture, picture comes from Pindaddy
@FayeHazel I'll have to look for that - I'm curious! I know Jennie-O products, but haven't seen this . . . is it in the meat or frozen section?
@FayeHazel (18027)
@much2say Oh cool! It's been harder and harder to find around here. It's usually in with stuff like the pre-made burgers, chicken wings, frozen section. If you find it I'll be curious to know your thoughts
I only eat regular turkey. But it's interesting to see others dont like it.
@FayeHazel (18027)
I know, funny what people like or dislike, isn't it?
@FayeHazel just interesting as never heard people didnt like turkey til last year.
@FayeHazel (18027)
@Courtlynn ha ha, I know... strange....
@Ganma7 (2829)
I prefer a real turkey baked then left ver turkey sandwiches
@FayeHazel (18027)
Turkey leftovers are nice, better than the fresh, my opinion only tho lol
@Ganma7 (2829)
@FayeHazel I agree! Yummy
@Ganma7 (2829)
Beautiful picture
@FayeHazel (18027)
Isn't it? Someone has a quite a skill for cooking food that looks tasty
@dgobucks226 (12193)
I am not a big turkey fan but I like roasted chicken. I do like deli turkey for sandwiches though.
@FayeHazel (18027)
I'm with you there. When it comes to eating meat I would much rather have chicken or beef... deli turkey is good tho
I only eat fresh whole roasted or deep fried turkey on Thanksgiving. Once in a blue moon I have a turkey sandwich from the deli. I'd much rather eat other things. I never heard of a turkey roll. lol
@FayeHazel (18027)
Deep fried turkey is good too. I managed to find a photo (from pindaddy) of my cheap turkey loaf. MMmmm tasty
@Teep11 (7067)
Going the cheap route will need to occur but there will be occasions when we're going to want to spend a little extra. Choices huh?
@FayeHazel (18027)
So true. In this case I don't mind cheap :-)
I'd just as soon have chicken although I don't mind turkey. We mostly have turkey rolls at Christmas. I don't think I've ever cooked a whole turkey.
@FayeHazel (18027)
I agree, a nice rotisserie chicken.... now that is good eats :-)
Sorry I couldn't comment on the matter because I haven't tasted both of them yet.
@FayeHazel (18027)
Ah I hope you get the chance if you want :-)
I don`t think I ever seen one of these.
@FayeHazel (18027)
Ah I managed to find a photo - photo from pindaddy
I have bought a turkey roll before but have not seen one in a long time.
@FayeHazel (18027)
I recently picked one up. It just sounded so good