Happy National Puzzle Day

By DB
@dgobucks226 (13308)
January 29th is National Puzzle day and to celebrate, I have been working on my winter jig saw puzzle. Last year I completed one on different types of birds. This year I am ambitiously putting together a 1,000 piece puzzle of Sanibel and Captiva Islands located in the state of Florida. I find them very relaxing although my brain is getting quite a workout! "Studies have found that when we work on a jigsaw puzzle, we use both sides of the brain, and spending time daily working on puzzles improves memory, cognitive function and problem-solving skills." Other puzzles like word search and crosswords help increase our vocabulary. The first jig saw puzzle was made in 1760 by engraver and cartographer John Spilsbury of London. The early puzzles were made of wood. The name "jigsaw" came to be associated with the puzzle around 1880. Cardboard jigsaw puzzles appeared during the late 1800s, but were not immediately accepted over the wood ones due to the manufacturer's belief that cardboard puzzles would be viewed as being of inferrior quality. "Jigsaw puzzles soared in popularity during the Great Depression, as they provided a cheap, long-lasting, recyclable form of entertainment." Now that you know a little history behind the jigsaw puzzle and its rise in popularity, tell me, do you enjoy doing puzzles? When is the last time you attempted one? What kinds are your favorites? Source- www.NationalDayCalendar.com Photo- google images/Amazon.com
I used to do a lot once but I start one I find it hard it stop and I end up with an aching neck and shoulders so I've given up on them. but they are.great fun.
@dgobucks226 (13308)
That is so true Judy! Your neck and shoulders do ache after a time. I have learned some restraint. There is no time limit, tomorrow is another day, lol.
@dgobucks226 I think I'm a bit OCD. Once I start, I can't leave it alone so I've decided it's best not to start.
I did a few puzzles last year.
@dgobucks226 (13308)
Jigsaws? I find them a fun way to pass the time. And there is no time limit which I really like!
@peavey (16856)
I haven't done a real one in some time, but I have a program on my computer that can make a jigsaw from any image, so I do them on the computer often - like every day! I need to get out the card table and start a jigsaw puzzle. I have two that have never been opened.
@dgobucks226 (13308)
The computer one sounds interesting? Once you start on a puzzle they become a challenge you must complete. A good kind of addictive
@peavey (16856)
@dgobucks226 I agree! The computer program is by Tibo software and it's fairly inexpensive. I use it a lot.
@dgobucks226 (13308)
@peavey Thanks for the info
I have never done a jigsaw puzzle.
@Daelii (5821)
seriously? never ever?
@Daelii Never.
@dgobucks226 (13308)
It is seriously quite mind absorbing. In a different way, it's kind of like playing chess
I enjoyed doing puzzles when I was a kid and when I had the time to do so. When I start something I want to finish it and I won't stop working till I do. And since I know that puzzles take time, I just don't indulge in it anymore because I don't have such time.
@dgobucks226 (13308)
I see. It is hard to stop once you start something. I've learned to be patient. There is really no rush to complete them. The puzzles will not run away, lol. But I do understand your point about completing what you start.
@dgobucks226 You see, the moment I left something unfinished, I won't ever go back to that.
I love doing jigsaw puzzles! Haven't had much time this year.
@dgobucks226 (13308)
When my Mom was living and was in Florida for the winter she had a table out on the patio where there was a crossword to work on. Every once in awhile I would see if I could find some pieces to the puzzle. I bet that was the start to my own puzzle habit today[.
@dgobucks226 Possibly! I love all kinds of puzzles.
I used to do puzzles in the past, no more now, I do not have a table where to leave my pieces while I progress. I do online puzzles.
@dgobucks226 (13308)
I have no done online puzzles but they sound like fun. It is true, your table needs to accommodate the pieces or it can get awful messy.
@dgobucks226 This is why I do online puzzles, at least I save the game and the pieces are not on my table.
@dgobucks226 (13308)
@LadyDuck Yes, very sound reasoning there! And no cleanup, lol.
@pgntwo (21987)
• Derry, Northern Ireland
How puzzling:
I don't believe it! Yes, today was Curmudgeons Day, a day for the miserable, ill-tempered old grouches amongst us to feel perhaps a little less curmudgeonly...
@dgobucks226 (13308)
The puzzle or your link
@pgntwo (21987)
• Derry, Northern Ireland
@dgobucks226 That the day has two designations: National Puzzle Day and Curmudgeons Day.
@dgobucks226 (13308)
@pgntwo I see! Well, I suspect those Curmudgeons were not happy to share their day Guess they had something else to be grouchy about
@Madshadi (8922)
• Brussels, Belgium
I only played them on my phone when Internet was down. I didn't know it was that good for the memory
@dgobucks226 (13308)
There you go! Something to keep your mind focused and sharp
@Madshadi (8922)
• Brussels, Belgium
@dgobucks226 it’s good to play them from time to time to activate some lazy brain cells
@Icydoll (23560)
I like to solve puzzles...it's good relief from stress sometimes
@dgobucks226 (13308)
Yes Icydoll, it really is! You can really become absorbed in trying to find the right pieces and your not thinking about the stresses of life
@Daelii (5821)
I love them! my kids have a few . so the other day!
@dgobucks226 (13308)
I bet you worked on a puzzle?????? With your kids, great fun
@Plethos (10453)
i am not a puzzle person. they are not entertaining at all to me.
@dgobucks226 (13308)
Well, that's ok! Thanks for responding. "To each his own magic." Libba Bray- brainy quotes
Thanks for the history lesson about puzzles.
@dgobucks226 (13308)
You bet my friend!
I haven't done a puzzle in quite awhile but I do remember enjoying them. Maybe I should get one to keep my brain sharp!!
@dgobucks226 (13308)
Yep, it's like fuel for the memory
@peachpurple (12769)
I used to love puzzle, the one where you can hold them and flip them but my son just threw them
@FayeHazel (19112)
That is an interesting bit of trivia. I'm happy you enjoy the puzzles. :-) I admit I find them frustrating. A friend started one back this fall. It was a huge one, nice autumn scene with leaves and horses.
@dgobucks226 (13308)
I just finished one with a backyard scene with different type flowers. Enjoyable to do. I am doing my crosswords while on a mini vacation in Florida.
@FayeHazel (19112)
@dgobucks226 Ooo enjoy your vacation :-)
@dgobucks226 (13308)
@FayeHazel Thanks Faye
@KristenH (24747)
• Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
My late mother loved to do jigsaw puzzles in her time. I'm not a great puzzle solver, unless it's crossword.
@dgobucks226 (13308)
I like crosswords too. I do them a lot sitting on the beach in summer.
@KristenH (24747)
• Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
@dgobucks226 They're fun to do.
@bluesa (14316)
• Johannesburg, South Africa
I like working on a jig saw puzzle, but haven't had time lately, "D" for me it would be an ocean scene, or a wildlife scene. I also used to enjoy crossword puzzles and word searches, but same problem, lack of time.
@dgobucks226 (13308)
I understand. We must prioritize our everyday chores and activities and that alone can leaves little time for leisure.