Well That's Awesome

@irishidid (8563)
I had noticed what I believed to be a mistake on my credit card limit. $2,000 more credit than I should have had. My limit was only $1,000 and I had purposely set it up that way. I could have taken as much as $5,000. My credit union is in the grocery store so when I went there yesterday I stopped on our way out and asked the teller about it. He asked if I had my credit card with me, luckily I did and he checked it. Yes, they did up my credit limit so it was no mistakes. I have never been late with a payment and my credit score is at the awesome level. As far as I'm concerned I still consider it at the original $1,000. That way I'm less likely to abuse it. For someone who worked their way up from a humbling 430 score, I know the work it takes to raise that score. It was a long journey and worth the time and effort.
@Asylum (48281)
• Manchester, England
This is standard practice for credit card companies because they hope to entice you into taking on further credit and therefore higher interest. Prior to the introduction of debit cards I always had a credit card, but paid off the full balance every month. Despite never using the card for credit they still insisted on increasing my credit limit regularly.
@irishidid (8563)
I've had the card for over two years. This is the first time they upped my credit.
@Asylum (48281)
• Manchester, England
@irishidid I expect that the limit will rise again in time.
Mine was in the 400s many years ago. Now it is in the 800s. Feels good!
@irishidid (8563)
It does feel good. I started telling my kids early on the importance of keeping it at a decent level. Something I wish I had been told. Luckily they listened.
will you use it up to 2000$
@irishidid (8563)
No, just the original $1,000 and probably not even that much.
@Courage7 (6033)
Yes its a trap when they give you higher limits Congratulations on working your way up too
@irishidid (8563)
It is a temptation, isn't it?
@Courage7 (6033)
@irishidid Surely
@redurnet (1494)
It seems a bit sneaky of the credit card company to do that although it is a good sign for your finances and your credit score. I am pretty paranoid about keeping within my limit on my credit card as I fear getting into debt.
@irishidid (8563)
I try to never use more than I have in my bank account.
@aureliah (16195)
Its good when you know that your credit score is at an awesome level.
@irishidid (8563)
Yes it certainly is.
I think the plan you have, always considering the original $1000, is a very wise plan.
@irishidid (8563)
Yep. Just because the extra is there, I don't have to go above the original amount.
I have more credit than I ever use too - I pay the my card off every month anyway.
@irishidid (8563)
Best way to do it.
It is a long journey and I now never run a balance, I pay my card off every month in full and my credit score has soared.
@irishidid (8563)
That's the best way to do it. Never spend more on the credit card than you can pay off.
I wonder, could you ask them to lower the limit back to $1,000 if you wanted it left there?
@irishidid (8563)
I think they probably would if I asked. It was just nice to know I'm worth more credit!
@mydanods (6759)
• Nigeria
It's a sign the CC company has more confidence in your ability to pay. But the temptation lurks. Will you take the bait? Please, don't. Keep to your original target $1000.