What do you do to care for your heart?

Pixabay
By Hope
@1hopefulman (28612)
"About 610,000 people die of heart disease in the United States every year." "Heart disease is the leading cause of death for both men and women." These two quotations come from the Centers For Disease Control And Prevention Some say that heart problems are totally preventable through eating a healthy diet, by staying active and by managing stress. Do you believe that? What are you doing to try to avoid heart problems? --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Proverbs 4:23 (Complete Jewish Bible) 23 Above everything else, guard your heart; for it is the source of life’s consequences. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Tips that I have found helpful: * I eat lots of fruits and vegetables and avoid junk food * I try to get about 30 minutes of some form of exercise each day * I try to keep a positive attitude each day * I try to have love in my heart for God, family, all people * I try to manage my stress level * I have to work at getting to bed before midnight and so I better go to bed
Learn about how race, ethnicity, age, and other risk factors can contribute to heart disease risk. CDC is the top health protection agency in the U.S.
I do my best to keep my heart healthy, but sometimes it's hard to keep your stress under control.
@topffer (34162)
• France
I agree, stress is something that cannot be controlled easily.
@1hopefulman (28612)
@LadyDuck Yes, it can be quite a challenge but since stress can be a killer, we have to keep our stress levels in check.
@topffer There are moments you are obliged to follow a routine that is not your normal routine. Many things to do that you cannot postpone, it is a lot of stress.
I am a vegetarian, and that type of diet helps one's heart. I also stay away from sugar. I keep my weight down and I do take 45-minute walks each day.
@1hopefulman (28612)
Great! Avoiding refined sugar is good for everything. Walking and keeping one's weight down is fantastic. I'm not implying that you are not doing it right but being a vegetarian needs to be done right as many vegetarians are not healthy. As a vegetarian, do you have any tips about doing it the healthy way?
@1hopefulman I am a vegetarian, not for health reasons, but due to not wanting to be a party to animal cruelty. I have researched how to remain healthy as a vegetarian. This link is valuable.
A vegetarian diet can meet all a person's nutritional needs if planned thoughtfully. Eat a variety of fruits, vegetables, whole grains, and nuts, avoid saturated fats, watch calories and portions, and be physically active.
@1hopefulman (28612)
@Corbin5 I See! Thanks for the link. It is very informative.
@LeaPea2417 (20461)
• Toccoa, Georgia
My husband and I try to eat healthy, by eating a wide variety of foods. We try to stay active. He does a lot of walking and lifting with his job. I try to exercise at home by walking and lifting a few weights we own.
@1hopefulman (28612)
Good diet and daily exercise are good for us! Also we have to be careful with stress. What else do you think we should do?
@LeaPea2417 (20461)
• Toccoa, Georgia
@1hopefulman That is true, being careful not to have too much stress.
@1hopefulman (28612)
@LeaPea2417 Yes, too much stress is difficult for the heart.
I am on med for hear.I had open heart surgery in the year of 1975
@1hopefulman (28612)
I'm glad all turned out well for you.
@1hopefulman yes it did for me.
@1hopefulman (28612)
@MKAlubs (453)
For one thing, I eat a LOT of hot chile peppers in conjunction with garlic. This combination acts to clean out the entire circulatory system. I also WALK a lot every single day. I also try not to withhold love. Withholding love is one of the most dangerous things one can do for the health of our heart. Oh, and I also never use salt.
@prashu228 (25811)
What chilli peppers do you eat , is it with garlic or separate..
@MKAlubs (453)
@prashu228 I'll eat most any kind of chile pepper. My favorite is New Mexico green chile. But I also eat jalapenos regularly as well as sorano peppers. I don't eat Habaneros very much because they are all hotness with very little flavor. Green chile has the most flavor and can also be delightfully hot. I always try to combine hot chile peppers with garlic together because that has the most benefit for heart health.
@prashu228 (25811)
@MKAlubs good information..
@mydanods (6759)
• Nigeria
I try to lead a healthy lifestyle. I drink lots of water each morning. Like you said, I avoid junk food, high cholesterol cooking oils and take only a little sugar.
@1hopefulman (28612)
Yes, there are a number of factors to keep our heart healthy, I have listed the main ones in the post. The more we do, the healthier it stays. If we neglect one, we may be in trouble. Live long and prosper!
@mydanods (6759)
• Nigeria
@1hopefulman And you too my dear. Too bad nobody gets to live as long as methuselah anymore.
@1hopefulman (28612)
@mydanods So true! We are very far from 969 years. Most of us never make it to 100.
@prashu228 (25811)
Some recommend to eat two garlic pods on empty stomach
@1hopefulman (28612)
I have never heard of that one but I like garlic and put some in my salad.
@prashu228 (25811)
@1hopefulman its good for heart
@1hopefulman (28612)
@prashu228 I'h glad that it works for you.
@mandala100 (43615)
@1hopefulman That's avery good question my friend.
@1hopefulman (28612)
Glad you like it!
@mandala100 (43615)
@1hopefulman Yes indeed my friend.
@1hopefulman (28612)
@ilocosboy (34325)
Running as my exercise and soon biking.
@1hopefulman (28612)
I also love both of those exercises and find them beneficial.
• Pamplona, Spain
I more or less do the same kind of thing. I don´t have any stairs but I do a lot of running around to compensate. Relaxing after nine o´clock at night is a must also and winding down so there is no going to sleep stressed out not usually anyway.
@1hopefulman (28612)
That's the idea! Find things that are helpful and try to do something good for the heart each day.
• Pamplona, Spain
@1hopefulman Its what I try to keep to most of the time and there are days that you cannot keep to the same thing as you have to go out and go up to town also and fix things up like papers and stuff.
@1hopefulman (28612)
@lovinangelsinstead21 That's true! It was so cold today. I went out early and got back where I was too tired to exercise before supper but will try to do it after supper, even if it is only for 30 minutes.
@nela13 (7067)
• Portugal
I follow almost all your topics but I miss two that I guess makes a difference, I don't workout regularly and sometimes is quite difficult control my stress levels.
@1hopefulman (28612)
I think that they are related in a way because exercise can reduce our stress level. If we haven't done something beneficial yesterday, there is always tomorrow.
@nela13 (7067)
• Portugal
@1hopefulman tomorrow we have another opportunity to change what isn't right Thank you for remind me this
@1hopefulman (28612)
@dgobucks226 (12201)
All of your tips are extremely helpful thank you. I will make an effort to follow this sound advise.
@1hopefulman (28612)
My father lived past 100. I would like to do the same. What about you?
@dgobucks226 (12201)
@1hopefulman My Dad is 97. But has congestive heart failure and dementia. Old age can eventually bring on these issues. Like cars humans have expiration dates. I would not want to be confined to a chair just to make 100. I think as long as one still has an excellent quality of life and is motivated to enjoy each and every day I would like to live as long as God lets me. Otherwise, no. My Grandfather lived to 95 so I may have to get used to it...
@1hopefulman (28612)
@dgobucks226 Wow! Longevity seems to be in your genetic line.
We eat heart healthy and get plenty of exercise. Sometimes stress is difficult to control.
@1hopefulman (28612)
Eating healthy and exercise are excellent things to do. While dealing with stress is challenging, I find that when I feel good and I can cope better with stressful situations.
@1hopefulman That is definitely true. I usually make my own stress. I worried my day away and for nothing as it turned out. lol
@1hopefulman (28612)
@DianneN Yes, sometimes we are our own worst enemy as they say. We are human!
• Trinidad And Tobago
I lack a little in the exercise area as I can't walk or run anymore. I am also heavily over weight too. I want to do aerobic exercise but i want a swimming pool which i can't have for shortage of water. Until then my heart has to do the best it can.
@1hopefulman (28612)
You seem like a wise person and so I'm sure you will do the best you can.
• Trinidad And Tobago
@1hopefulman Sure, I will. How do you handle your heart?
@1hopefulman (28612)
@Gita17112016 I'll keep doing my best. I'm 68 and so far, no medications for heart or anything else are necessary. Even though it is snowing hard, I will be going for a little walk later and get some exercise and breathe the fresh air.
@Daelii (5635)
Im working on improving diet and activity!
@1hopefulman (28612)
Great! I hope you find some of the suggestions mentioned here helpful.
@Daelii (5635)
@1hopefulman I did! Thank you!
@1hopefulman (28612)
@db20747 (8231)
• Washington, District Of Columbia
I'm eating less meat, exercising, not just walking, eating more fruits and vegs. But my biggest problem is stress. I have to control it which is so hard top do in the city. I need to move to the country. I'm worried about my stress as if the stress itself is not bad enough. When the stress hits me my heart feels pressure. And my stomach. I've got to stay calm and not let anxiety get the best of me.
@1hopefulman (28612)
Sounds good! You may also need the help of a good health professional.
@db20747 (8231)
• Washington, District Of Columbia
@1hopefulman I agree. You are right. I'm going to do that soon.
@nife2018 (1148)
• Lagos, Nigeria
Heart disease is a varia disease spreading so fast around the world, and ones careless is on of the problem. Some research claimed that some tin foods can cause some deadly diseases or attack to our body, in Nigeria now few months ago, so researchers said polythene or nylon course some problems to our body if care is not taking, but more so farpeople who eat a diet rich in fruits, vegetables, and fish lower their risk of dying from a heart attack or stroke by 35%. Researchers tracked the eating habits of 31,546 people with a history of heart disease, stroke, or type 2 diabetes over five years, and found that those who ate the heart-healthy diet had the lowest chances of having a repeat stroke or heart attack. What’s more, the healthy eaters were 28% less likely attacked.
The single most important step you can take for heart health starts with what you put on your plate
@1hopefulman (28612)
Interesting! Thanks for sharing!
@nife2018 (1148)
• Lagos, Nigeria
@1hopefulman am happy it's sounds good to you, thank you
I'm eating healthy and swimming as much as possible.
@1hopefulman (28612)
Both are good! Keep it up!
@1hopefulman I plan on it.
I follow a vegetarian diet.
@1hopefulman (28612)
And I'm pretty sure it is a healthy one! Some people think that a vegetarian diet of soft drinks, chips and candies is a good vegetarian diet.
@1hopefulman They are so very wrong.
@kepweng (15005)
• Waikoloa, Hawaii
drinking milk is expensive
@1hopefulman (28612)
I don't drink milk. I drink water and it is not expensive.