Poor Little Guy

@cintol (5422)
Our little Pekingese is 15 and will be 16 years old in March. He cries at night, barks, whines and there is no sleep to be had on some of these nights in this house. We took him to the vet because since we have moved to Texas he is doing worse. He is blind now and deaf so I understand that he is lost in this house and doesn't really know where he is. He gets lost trying to find his way around because he knew where everything was in our old house before he went blind so he had a pattern, here not so much The vet put him on a sleeping pill and anxiety meds when he needs it and says he has dementia. Lately the pills have not been working and he is up all night and so are we. I don't sleep well as it is so to have this going on its worse. I think it is time we take him back and have the vet put him to sleep so he can rest now. What do you think, do you think it is time for his eternal peace. The vet says he is very healthy and has a good heart but its hard to watch him struggle every day. He even gets lost in the yard sometimes and we have to go out and get him (and its a small yard). I don't like watching him suffer and just don't know what to do. What would you do?
How long have you been in the new house? I hate to see an animal suffer, blind and deaf is hard.. The decision will be yours
@cintol (5422)
We have only been here 2 mths
This is such a hard decision. I would have put him down when you moved. He sounds quite distressed now. You need to think about what is best for him and not about how much you will miss him. The last kind thing that pet owners can do is make sure the pets aren't suffering when they get old. But I know it's easy for me to talk.
@cintol (5422)
Since the vet put him on his meds he doesn't cry anymore, now its just the dementia he is going through, also not being able to see or hear is a problem. We thought when we moved he would get used to it here as the yard is 1/4 of the size of our yard in Colorado. His bed and dishes are set up like they were in our old home and close to the back door. I just don't see quality there anymore since we moved, he has such a hard time navigating. We wanted to give him a chance but I think he is just sad now so we will probably be putting him to rest.
@cintol This is a tough decision for you. I wish you well with it.
@cintol (5422)
@JudyEv Thank you
I know you will miss him, but I think that it is the time to let him rest.
@cintol (5422)
I know, but he has been with us so long its like losing a child. I know it would be best for him though.
@cintol I know how you feel, but if he suffers there is no reason to keep him alive.
@cintol (5422)
@LadyDuck Yes I agree. The vet said its like Dementia in humans, they lose their way and forget what they are doing. Hes not crying anymore now though but I know not being able to see or hear has got to be scary for him
@cintol While letting him go to sleep might be good it may also be possible to spend a little time with him. If he doesn't like the leash anymore then consider walking with him at his level a little (once or twice a day for a couple weeks). He knows your sent and it may give him comfort while adjusting to the new surroundings. It's your call but if he has a healthy body there is still some potential to have comfort despite being blind, deaf and possibly dementia (don't quite know how that is diagnosed in dogs).
@cintol (5422)
We have tried with him now, the move was really hard on him and every time we touch him he jumps because it scares him. He is now losing control over his bodily functions and has also started peeing in his kennel at nights. We have had to give him baths in the mornings and it terrifies him as he now has anxiety. He wouldn't sleep last night so I sat up with him the entire time. He doesn't like to be held, he screams and cries so it is time for him. We will miss him but he has had a good life with us and his quality is no longer there. I will send him to heaven now for my son to take care of for me.
@cintol He will be happy again.
@cintol (5422)
@Berniezeitler Thank you Bernie, that made me cry, I know he will be happy again and he will run and play like he used too.
It can be hard when they are moved away from a familiar area. I would give it more time. And take him out on a leash or a harness so he knows that you are very near when outside.
@cintol (5422)
He can't stand being on a leash anymore, I think he is scared of where he is going because he can't see or hear anything. He just cries and pulls on it now.
Very sad to hear this poor dog, but if he's not in physical pain I wouldn't put him to sleep.
@cintol (5422)
Thank you TR, he was crying a lot but since the vet put him on the meds he doesn't do that anymore. Now its just dealing with the dementia and the vet said it is like any human that gets it.
That is quite a difficult choice. I would go with my gut feeling, if you feel that the dog hasn't adjusted to the new home and is worsening, then it might be in his best interest. Good luck with your decision, its a tough one.
@cintol (5422)
Thank you, I just hate seeing him be lost and cry all the time.
@moffittjc (42168)
• Gainesville, Florida
I hate seeing any animal suffer, so my first inclination would be to put him out of his misery. But I hate to react too soon to something that might be fixable. Obviously not the blindness or the deafness, but maybe with a little more time he'll adjust to the new house.
@cintol (5422)
No his anxiety level was getting really bad with not being able to see or hear. He was having a harder time controlling his potty as well so we took him yesterday and had him laid to rest. He will be better now because he cried at night because he was afraid and I couldn't handle that anymore, I didn't like seeing him so scared all the time.
@moffittjc (42168)
• Gainesville, Florida
@cintol Aww, poor little thing. I think you did the right thing by putting him down. I hope he is in doggy heaven right now running around having a great time!
@mydanods (6761)
• Nigeria
@moffittjc My heart goes out to that poor doggy. @cintol, maybe you did the right thing.
@bunnybon7 (35926)
• Holiday, Florida
my fur baby was just 14 yrs and suffering. i had her put to sleep and still wonder if i did right. i miss her so much. she also went down hill after a big move. so i can't really say but i do know it will be very hard for a while. i felt guilty that i was keeping her suffering my own sake. then after i put her to sleep, i felt guilty that there might have been another solution. so no matter you will feel guilt and grief either way. do what makes you feel right
@cintol (5422)
Thank you Bonnie, it has been very hard on us to make this choice but last night he didn't sleep at all even on his pills. I was up with him all night so we talked to the vet today and they agree it is time. We are taking him tomorrow afternoon and will say our goodbyes. I know I will probably question it like you do but I just can't stand to see him go through this anymore. He just seems so lonely in his dark quiet world.
@bunnybon7 (35926)
• Holiday, Florida
@cintol i know. my coco was my only companion with me at all times for 12 of her 14 yrs. it was just us. now its just me. is how it seems. my daughter lives here and her bf, but they are to themselves most of the time . coco was having seizures and they were so scary. vets didn't seem to know what was doing it except maybe her age. i couldn't stand seeing her suffer any more
@cintol (5422)
I'm sorry,that would be awful to see and not know why. I had a coco once, she was a shepherd/chow mix, great dog but she got on the counter one day and ate a whole box of Girl Scout cookies (tagalongs). She started getting sick and within 2 mths she ended up with diabetes, went blind and had to be put to rest. Broke my heart
I was giving Beau herbal anxiety pills and that seems to help a lot. he was keeping me up all night, he was so confused. Finally, he couldn't even get up anymore and that was when we knew it was time.
@cintol (5422)
They put Isaac on anxiety pills as well but he wouldn't take it if he could help it, he kept me up all night as well crying. I couldn't watch him go through that anymore. did Beau go blind and deaf as well?
@cintol No he did not go blind wasn't deaf either. I crushed up his pills in pot pie gravy and he would eat a half a pot pie twice a day, hey at his age I figured he could eat whatever he wanted.
@cintol (5422)
He got so lucky, poor Isaac wasn't that lucky. The move really confused him and he had no idea where he was, slept a lot and got lost in the back yard. It was so sad, the vet said it was time to help him by letting him go.
@dodo19 (32634)
• Beaconsfield, Quebec
I'm really sorry to hear about this. This is definitely a hard choice. You should listen to your gut feeling. Do what you feel/think is best.
@cintol (5422)
My gut is telling me to let him rest now but my heart sees him every day and I don't mind guiding him to the door and putting him to bed. I just don't think he is that happy anymore
@dodo19 (32634)
• Beaconsfield, Quebec
@cintol it's hard to see pets suffer.
@cintol (5422)
@dodo19 Its not like he is suffering too much, he isn't crying anymore but the getting lost because he can't see or hear is what really hurts me. I think we are going to put him to rest.
I wouldn't put him down, not if he's healthy. With him being deaf and blind it will take a while for him to get used to his new surroundings. Once he does, he should be fine.
@cintol (5422)
We have been trying Valerie but he is getting more scared every day and he is not losing control of his bodily functions. We had to give him a bath yesterday because he peed all over his bed in the kennel and he screamed the entire time. Its so hard to hear him cry but I know he is scared. We are having him put to rest tomorrow afternoon and I know we will miss him so much but he will be better and my son in heaven will take care of him for me now.
@cintol That's too bad he can't adjust to the new home setting.
@cintol (5422)
Breaks our hearts but our yard here is tiny and he gets lost if he goes to far from the porch. If he sees a light inside he goes towards it and then pees on the floor. So sad
Oh Cindy I feel for you. I know the pain of having to make that decision. If your dog is blind and deaf and also has dementia, I don't see any other way out. Thinking of you
@cintol (5422)
Thank you Janet, we just put him down a couple of hours ago, it was for the best, at least he won't suffer or be afraid anymore.
@cintol It's hard for you I know, but you have obviously done the right thing. My dog was 16 when we had to put her down, and though that was a long time ago, I've never forgotten her.
@cintol (5422)
Yes, we will always have a part of Isaac here with us, I had to turn the tv on when we got home because I kept hearing his little tags clinking on his collar.
That would be so sad to watch him struggle like that. Putting them to sleep is so heartbreaking to go through. Once they can no longer see or hear they can’t really live a very good life. I am so sad for you but think yes he probably should be put to sleep
@cintol (5422)
Yes, I think we need to do that now. He wet in his bed and kennel last night and we had to wash everything and give him a bath. He got so panicked in the tub and would not let us dry him because he was so scared. I know it has to be terrible for him not knowing whats going on so I think we are going to take him in and make that decision now
Towards the end they start losing bladder control. That’s what I was thinking as well as how scared and stressed he must be. I am so sorry you have to deal with this. I wish all pets just went to sleep peacefully and don’t wake up when it’s there time. My cats 15 and I dread when she starts having problems.
@cintol (5422)
@shaggin Yes, I wish that too, I hate to think of how scared he is. He will be 16 next month and has had a good life, we will miss him but I don't want him to suffer now.
• Preston, England
it does seem it may be time to let him go, as hard as that will be for you - whatever you decide, good luck
@cintol (5422)
Thank you Arthur, it will be hard but we know it is what will be best for him now.
• Preston, England
@cintol been through it with many pets - never gets easier
@cintol (5422)
@arthurchappell No it doesn't and I feel this will be the last one for us.
I am so so sorry. That must be hard for all of you. I am not a person that loves to see an animal suffer but also not fond of putting them down either. I am sorry I have no solution for you.
@cintol (5422)
We are doing ok and we know he is in heaven now with my son. He will take care of him from here. Thank you Hanni
@cintol You are welcome and it is very hard to lose a loved one.
• Pamplona, Spain
I would not know what to tell you as I have had to make decisions just lately that I have not wanted to either. Is there no other med that would help him sleep better perhaps and he might just go the natural way when he is ready.
@cintol (5422)
No, we talked to the vet and he thinks it is time for him. These pills make him sleep more than he used too and he doesn't even get up to go to the bathroom anymore
• Pamplona, Spain
@cintol Perhaps its for the best then.
• Trinidad And Tobago
I have had to put two of my dogs down and i just can't bare to see them suffer. You have to do what you have to do. As harsh as that may seem.
@cintol (5422)
Yes, we laid him to rest yesterday and it was awful. We held him until he passed, so sad.
That's a very difficult decision to make and I honestly don't know what I would do. It's so hard to lose a pet
@cintol (5422)
I kept going back and forth today ready to cancel the appt but my husband said it would be best for Isaac. He is at peace now and never had to be in pain again. So hard
@oahuwriter (1792)
• United States Minor Outlying Islands
I understand it's a very difficult decision to make, because we had to make this decision too. My puppy of long ago when I was a child, I'm a Senior Citizen now, grew up splendidly. He got heart worm, in the days when there was no cure. We had to decide to make the decision you are wondering about. We couldn't stand him suffering so, with no chance of a cure, so we put the little fellow down. It was so hard, I pray for him to Saint Roch, the patron Saint for dogs, and ask for forgiveness and hope he understood what we did. It is so difficult to decide and only you must decide what to do, for you got to live with your decision. The end of life journey is never easy. You gave him and we gave my Blackie a good life too.
@cintol (5422)
Thank you Kristina, it is such a hard decision but the little guy doesn't sleep anymore and is just so jittery all day. If we give him the meds he just sleeps all day, what kind of life is that for the little guy. We do what we can for them as we do our families and when its time to say goodbye we do it the easiest way and most peaceful possible. I am sorry you had to do the same with your guy.