Supermarkets’ own-brand products

@nela13 (9328)
Portugal
When I do my groceries shopping I always try To find the best products at the best price, sometimes well known brands have discounts of 50%, but even though I still find some supermarkets' own-brand cheaper. I don't mind buy this products, some of them are quite good but I have a friend that has a sort of prejudice with this supermarkets' own-brand products and she never buy these. Today I went to a do some shopping with her and she said that these products have low quality and that I shouldn't buy It. Do you buy supermarkets' own.label products? Do you think they are very different from well known brands?
@topffer (36362)
• Djibouti, Djibouti
For basic products like sugar or flour I do not care at all about the brand and I buy the cheaper available. For cheap supermarkets brands, I buy products to taste them, and I buy them again if I liked what I tasted. The quality is often the same than well known brands as they are often made by these brands for supermarkets.
@nela13 (9328)
• Portugal
I read that some no brand products are made by well known brands.
@topffer (36362)
• Djibouti, Djibouti
@nela13 Oh yes, I have noticed for example that the cheap rechargeable batteries sold by Lidl times to times under their brand were made in the same factory than Duracell batteries.
@nela13 (9328)
• Portugal
@topffer lidl products are great, I buy a lot of their products
I do try some no name brands once and if I like them, then I buy them again.
@nela13 (9328)
• Portugal
Yes, I usually try and if I like I just keep buying It.
@kaka135 (14130)
Same here. There are some no name brands which are quite okay.
I do and some are exactly the same as the brand names at half the price. I have noticed that some products come out from the same plant. You pay for the marketing of the big companies.
@nela13 (9328)
• Portugal
Yes, what we pay is the marketing and the products are the same, some of them are produced in the same place as the brand ones.
@nela13 It is correct, if you check the barcode of the products, you can see that they come out from the same plant.
@nela13 (9328)
• Portugal
@LadyDuck I didn't know that about the barcodes, but you are right It is the easiest way To check if products are produced in the same place.
• Defuniak Springs, Florida
I usually do the off brand of store brand. but some products don't come in store brand.
@nela13 (9328)
• Portugal
Yes, there are products that we can't find in a supermarket brand.
• Defuniak Springs, Florida
@nela13 I work at the Dollar tree so we get a mixture. We get a lot of brand names in so I will.buy brand names at work.
@nela13 (9328)
• Portugal
@thislittlepennyearns I don't Dollar tree in my country, all the supermarkets here have a mix of brands.
@moffittjc (46045)
• Gainesville, Florida
I don't mind buying supermarkets' own-brand products. Most of the time they taste just as good as the name-brand
@nela13 (9328)
• Portugal
Yes, most of the time there are no differences between them.
@moffittjc (46045)
• Gainesville, Florida
@nela13 That's right, no difference in taste, and at a much lower price. A win-win for everybody!
@nela13 (9328)
• Portugal
@moffittjc smart shopping
• Pamplona, Spain
Sometimes I will buy their biscuits and their bread but not much else as there are other things that they sell are quite awful really. It all depends what it is.
@nela13 (9328)
• Portugal
It is a matter of trying, some are good others don't.
• Pamplona, Spain
@nela13 Trouble is here I got to like some biscuits that they brought out and they are very good but they only put them on the shelves when they feel like it. I hardly ever see them on the shelves as I would buy say half a dozen packets of them. You´re right its a matter of trying to see what is the best and I have gotten through most of their brands which are more or less okay.
@nela13 (9328)
• Portugal
@lovinangelsinstead21 maybe the shelves are empty because a lot of people love those biscuits
@FayeHazel (21328)
I agree. I like a lot of the store brand's items. In many cases it is as good as or even better than the name brand
@nela13 (9328)
• Portugal
Do you use to buy It?
@FayeHazel (21328)
@nela13 Yeah - regularly I buy the store's brand. There are only a few items where I do prefer the name brand
@nela13 (9328)
• Portugal
@FayeHazel so do I
some products actually ARE the exact same thing..the company that makes it will put out a name brand,and then make a generic for chains.they had a news segment on pepto bismo doing that years ago.
@nela13 (9328)
• Portugal
If these products are the same and are cheaper, why not buy them?
@nela13 i do.
@nela13 (9328)
• Portugal
@scarlet_woman smart choice
Some store brands are just as good as the National brands. However, I don't like any storebrand paper products.
@nela13 (9328)
• Portugal
We all have our preferences
@nela13 That's very true!
@averygirl72 (16617)
We also try supermarket own-brand products and they are not that bad actually. But we mostly buy branded products
@nela13 (9328)
• Portugal
I think It is a matter of trying to see if we like it or not
@sabtraversa (13331)
Price doesn't equal quality, I think your friend should give these products a chance. I sometimes buy products with no brand (because I don't really consider supermarket to be a brand lol), most simply do their job. Cheap toilet paper can really be low quality sometimes, but hey, it's just toilet paper.
@nela13 (9328)
• Portugal
When we buy brand products we pay the marketing too.
I buy the own brand products. Occasionally I get one that isn't good quality so I just avoid that one in future.
@nela13 (9328)
• Portugal
I do the same, when I found one that I don't like I just stop buying It.
I have found that many store brands are better-tasting than name brands.
@nela13 (9328)
• Portugal
Supermarkets want their brand being appreciated, it is way to have more clients.
Big supermarkets have some very good products with their brand. I buy them if they have an offer.
@nela13 (9328)
• Portugal
Some products are very good and I honestly don't see a difference between very expensive brands.
@morgoodie (2710)
Most items I buy are store brand. I think they are the same as name brands except for price. I do have certain items that I will buy only name brand of it, but for the most part I try to save money. I work at a supermarket and I get a discount on the store brands so that is another motivator for me to buy those items.
@nela13 (9328)
• Portugal
If you get a discount that is even better. I also buy a lot of store brand products, most of them are as good as brand ones.
@morgoodie (2710)
@nela13 I think so too.
@nela13 (9328)
• Portugal
@morgoodie why buy expensive products if we could have the same product for the half of the price?
• Peoria, Arizona
If it tastes good then yes we will buy store brand. Woot bread is probably my favorite bread and that is a store brand.
@nela13 (9328)
• Portugal
It is better and cheaper, right?
• Peoria, Arizona
@nela13 most of the time yes. But certain things it is better to get other brands
@nela13 (9328)
• Portugal
@DesirousDreamer It will always depend of the product you want.
Yes I like to give them a try. Unless trial it is not possible to predict the quality
@nela13 (9328)
• Portugal
Some are just the same as brand ones.
@nela13 Yes with lower price.
@nela13 (9328)
• Portugal
@anamika161088 which is even better
@rakski (23457)
Oh yes, I do buy no name and supermarjet brand products. They are almost the same with the branded for a cheaoer price
@nela13 (9328)
• Portugal
Yes, they are, some are just equal
@rakski (23457)
@nela13 very teue
It depends on the item :) For example store brand cereal is nasty but store brand almond granola bars taste better.
@nela13 (9328)
• Portugal
Some are good others don't, we should try and decide.
@nela13 I agree!
It depends on the product, but I do sometimes use the store brand (Ibuprofen, baking products). Store brand food tastes the same to me. But I never buy store brand toilet paper because it is terrible. The only place that I really like the store brands is Target. Their store brands are excellent.
@nela13 (9328)
• Portugal
It os a matter of trying To find out which one we prefer.