Can a million mothers be wrong?

Pleasant Hill, California
We've all heard that too much sugar makes children go nutso, and that parents throwing a birthday party for an 8-year-old should be ready for some will behaviors among the kids there. But did you know that there's very little research to support this connection, and that most psychologists consider the sugar-hyperactivity connection to be a myth? Children get hyper when they're overstimulated, not because birthday cake or Halloween candy gives them a sugar high. There have even been well-controlled "double blind" experiments to support the "myth" hypothesis. What do you think?
Many concerned parents and health organizations believe there is a link between a child's diet and behavior.
I do not know. I always allowed the children I was in charge of to play and run off their sugar and on days I wanted to be mean I allowed them to have candy before mom picked them up sometimes buying and sending with them horns or drums. Kids love me
• Pleasant Hill, California
Ah yes, send 'em home with drums. Kids love you, but parents not so much. Heh.
@kobesbuddy (49743)
• East Tawas, Michigan
@TheHorse When I had a licensed daycare home, sugar was never considered a problem for these kids.
• Pleasant Hill, California
@kobesbuddy Nah, I don't worry about it that much. Some of the kids I work with are old enough to discuss this kin of thing with me. "Let me know if you turn into a raving lunatic because I bought you a Big Mac and Coke after we shot hoops."
I have read from many sources that it is not at all sure that sugar makes kids hyperactive. As you say it's more the situation that makes them excited, like having a party with other kids, being allowed to do things that are not usually allowed or stay up later just because they are having a fan time with friends.
• Pleasant Hill, California
Exactly. We experienced at a the preschool the other day. A special event. Everyone all excited. No sugar involved.
@TheHorse It's almost the same for the adults. We get excited during special celebrations.
• Pleasant Hill, California
@LadyDuck Yes, though if the celebration is too big, I try to find one or two people to talk to.
I think it is the situation that makes them more excited. When my kids are at home and have candy they are calm but when at a party or fun event they go wild! Lol
• Pleasant Hill, California
Exactly. It's funny how some myths persist, though.
When my grandchildren get together they are excited and full of energy even before they've had any candy or cake. I think there might be some connection but sugar isn't entirely to blame for kids being hyper
• Pleasant Hill, California
Yeppers. We Have a special day at the preschool the other day, celebrating trees. No sugar in the snacks (except a bit of fructose), but the kids went wild and very few slept at nap time.
@TheHorse I think kids just have lots of energy to burn and can't sit still for long. I've always wondered about the sugary snacks being to blame but tend to think it's less to blame than we think
@AJAYSAXENA (1945)
• Hyderabad, India
I think i support research because in our time when we used to have these kind of stuffs it was more natural but now a days all foods are grown with chemical so might be because of that there will be a risk of getting of disease.
@Daelii (5685)
That is a very good point! Most candy doesn't even have actually sugar in it. I think it really is the excitement/ reward part.
• Pleasant Hill, California
I love Altoids (full of sugar) and avoid sugar-free mints. They always taste like chemicals to me.
• Hyderabad, India
@TheHorse But it was not like that in past my friend but now a days because of inventions of chemicals they are using instead of fruits or natural they are using chemicals for taste etc.
I did know this. I believe that sugar making kids hyperactive is truly a myth. Heck, sugar actually makes kids tired.
• Pleasant Hill, California
It may, running around and having a good time makes kids tired. When I worked with older children, many fell asleep on the way home from a day of shopping and hiking.
@ptrikha_2 (8745)
@corbin5 in fact many a times more salt or sugar can make us lethargic.
@PainsOnSlate (20341)
I think they got that right, the sugar never bothered my kids but overstimulating children would go ballistic in my house.
• Pleasant Hill, California
Yep, that's what I observe as well.
Having raised two sons, I know from experience that sugar has nothing to do with hyperactivity.
• Pleasant Hill, California
Yeppers, it's all about the environment. My little Berkeley CA (healthy food) boys can be perfectly rowdy (and sometimes almost out of control) without processed sugar, thank you very much.
• Pleasant Hill, California
@DianneN Welcome to my world. I;m trying to teach them to play "catch," but sometimes they can't help but heave any object in their hands as far as they can.
@TheSojourner (17442)
Great discussion to debunk the myth that so many have bought into
• Pleasant Hill, California
When I hear mothers say, "Here comes the sugar high!" I generally just smile politely and watch the kids have fun.
@TheHorse and no matter how many you may show the facts, there will always be people who will swear that you're wrong.
• Pleasant Hill, California
@CoralLevang Heh. That is true. My young neighbor friend's mom thumbs her nose at things like "science."
@Morleyhunt (19857)
I've watched the sugar high and the crash that follows. I've experienced it myself. I guess I don't follow with the scientific research.
• Pleasant Hill, California
I think that any time we get really active, there can be a crash that follows. That includes when adults play sports.
@pitstop (6244)
I have seen my son ho berserk even when he is all alone and has something very sweet. I've seen it in many kids. I don't think it is a myth
• Pleasant Hill, California
He's never gone beserk when he didn't have something sweet?
@pitstop (6244)
@TheHorse it is a different kind of craziness he exhibits when on a sugar high. It peaked at around 3 years and then faded away.
• Pleasant Hill, California
@pitstop How was it different? When did it happen? Were there other people around?
Sugar just gives a bit of a rush and then it is gone anyway. Some kids are really hyperactive and are more sensitive to sugar. That is my belief.
• Pleasant Hill, California
Yes, the research suggests that SOME kids are sensitive to sugar.
@TheHorse ......Everyone is different.
• Pleasant Hill, California
@celticeagle But a majority of youngsters do not get a sugar high from sugar.
@moffittjc (43977)
• Gainesville, Florida
There's no question that overstimulation is a major contributing factor to hyperactivity in kids. I've seen it happen many times to my own children, even when they haven't had lots of sugar.
• Pleasant Hill, California
Yep. Eventually they crash and burn, though, giving the parents some time for grown-up things.
@moffittjc (43977)
• Gainesville, Florida
@TheHorse Yeah, it gives us time for grown-up things like catching up on much-needed sleep! haha
• Pleasant Hill, California
@moffittjc Yep. Or maybe paying a bill or two.
I think in days gone by we didn't know about the sugar highs. We just put it down to being over-excited.
• Pleasant Hill, California
But there is no such thing as a sugar high for most kids. Does that mean we've come full circle?
@TheHorse So it seems. It's official now is it? No sugar highs? Or just no highs for most kids?
• Pleasant Hill, California
@JudyEv I assume there are pre-diabetic kids for whom sugar makes a difference. But for most, it's a myth.
@nanette64 (17711)
• Fairfield, Texas
I don't know @TheHorse . What's in the Power Drinks that makes teenagers bounce off the walls? Is that caffeine? One things for sure about the sugar thing though and that is that it rots the hell out of the kids teeth.
• Pleasant Hill, California
Yep, caffeine. I think kids have to learn early to brush and floss.
@nanette64 (17711)
• Fairfield, Texas
• Pleasant Hill, California
@nanette64 Alas, I'm not a part of that ritual with the younger kids I work with now. I'm not sure what happens at home.
In my opinion, it is not the loaded with sugary foods that make the children hyperactive. As children, we 5 siblings all girls grew up hyperactive too. That's because we have a big lawn where we can play hide and seek, running and a lot of games. My daughter wasn't super active when she was a kid because she's always with her nanny at home. But when she is at school, the nanny says she's so super active because she has playmates.
• Pleasant Hill, California
Yep, that sounds about right. Kids can cover a lot of ground, given the opportunity. And when they're with friends, their imaginations run wild.
@valmnz (12755)
• New Zealand
I do know that back in the 70s our toddler son was always hyper after sugar. One occasion when he grabbed the sugar bowl and scoffed it down on a very ordinary occasion he went over the top with hyperactive behaviour. Apparently research shows it's not the sugar but the chemicals to whiten it.
• Pleasant Hill, California
I'll have to check that out. I usually use either brown sugar or maple syrup (occasionally honey), but it's for taste reasons.
@vandana7 (66120)
I think 8 years old are smart...they know how to increase the work load of adults and punish them for scolding them. As long as they are younger, they haven't figured it out.
• Pleasant Hill, California
Four-year-olds have their tricks.
It is easy to prove children don't need sugar to become over stimulated in certain situations. But I think an overall poor diet can lead to a less calm child. Brains and bodies function better with good nutrition.
• Pleasant Hill, California
I'm sure I could make a nutritionist mad after a couple of drinks at a party. Kids need enough to eat, but a part of me thinks it doesn't matter what it is. I'm a big advocate for exercise, though.
@HazySue (21937)
I have a grandson that has a sugar flip-out about twenty minutes after eating cake or candy or cookies or.....well you get the idea. They may not have done a scientific study of it but he could certainly be a case study for the proof of that theory.
• Pleasant Hill, California
Real scientists never use the word "proof."
@HazySue (21937)
@TheHorse I guess it a good thing I am not a scientist.
• Pleasant Hill, California
@HazySue We say something intellectual sounding like "The data strongly support the hypothesis that..."