Guess It's Time to Move to Sweden

work in Sweden
Austin, Texas
I'm American and have no plans to expatriate. But sometimes a “carrot” is held out in front of me. A temptation. It kind of makes me want to at least consider living in an alternative place on the planet. Instead of ever being offered a 6-hour workday, I was offered a 10-hour workday. Of course, I got a 3-day weekend, every other week. But still! I think I could get just as much work done in 6 hours and I would get done in 8 hours. What about you? Would you think about moving to Sweden for a 6-hour workday? Or perhaps we could convince the companies in our own country to think about copying the Swedes. Do you think a 6-hour workday would boost your productivity? "The eight-hour workday hasn’t changed much since Henry Ford first experimented with it for factory workers. Now, Americans work slightly longer–an average 8.7 hours–though more time goes into email, meetings, and Facebook than whatever our official job duties actually are. Is it time to rethink how many hours we spend at the office? In Sweden, the six-hour workday is becoming common. ..." This article is 3 years old - published in 2015. But it's news to me!
Be more focused, have fewer meetings–and then go home early. It sounds like a dream, but it can work.
I liked when I worked 12 hour shifts and had more days off. Is the 6 hour work day in Sweden based on a 30 hour week?
I always worked an 8-hour day. I think it depends on a lot of things as to whether I'd want a 6 hour day.
@renicemae (3352)
It's very appealing to work in a company with that 6 hour a day policy. I wish our country would have that too.
When I was working it was a 5 day, 9 to 5.30 with half hour lunch break. I did not complain.
I have been to Stockholm. Lovely city but cold and boring.
I never minded the 8-hour workday. As a teacher, I worked more that 8 hours a day and also spent weekends writing lesson plans, grading papers, or attending school events. I suppose if one loves a job, the hours do not matter.
The 6-hour work day might entail bringing some work home.
@m_audrey6788 (13622)
If you can finish what is needed to be done per day in a 6hrs. time then, I`ll agree with working more less at the office and spend more time at home with my family
@munhozmib (3857)
• Sao Paulo, Brazil
Hey there, Tell me about it. Here in Brazil, I'm leaving home at 08:50 a.m. And I get home at 20. So it's almost like a twelve hours shift. In fact, it's a 9 hours shift - but the transportation makes it so unbearable! I've always though about moving elsewhere. I'm currently looking for opportunities, though it's way harder to me. In fact, looking for opportunities is something we all should do. Who knows what we might find? Perhaps a job here, there, elsewhere. hahahahaha I wish us both good luck! Regards!
Sweden is a beautiful country, but I would never go there to live.
• Austin, Texas
I've never been to Sweden. But have met Swedes who have come to America. They were all very nice.
@cmoneyspinner Sweden is too cold and it's a very expensive country. Swedish people are nice.
• Austin, Texas
@LadyDuck - Expense or daily cost of living is a huge factor and likely the main reason people would not relocate. But for me, it would be the weather! Cold is the reason I don't even want to visit Canada and that country is right next door to US!
• Svalbard And Jan Mayen
6 hours is pretty reasonable; I don't think most would mind that at all. But work might pile up a bit, unless it is a call centre environment without much paperwork to be done.
• Austin, Texas
Yeah. It turns out it was just an experiment. The work schedule is back to their "normal" whatever that was before they tried the 6-hour workday.
• Svalbard And Jan Mayen
@cmoneyspinner Oh I see. I always see an 8-12 hour shift, which is the norm in many countries. It's good to know they tried experimenting though.
@bela360 (1614)
• Saint Lucia
I wish our country had that policy sadly people in my country work like slaves and we hardly see our reward. I might as well move to Sweden as well if its thas cause I feel it would be even better for me but question is is it for a time period? Or will it be permanent we will be working six hours a day.
• Austin, Texas
It was just an experiment. They did not continue it.
@bela360 (1614)
• Saint Lucia
@cmoneyspinner that sucks :(
@sjvg1976 (18386)
We have to work at least 9-10 hours a day in India. It would be great if we have a working hour of even 8 hours
• Austin, Texas
Yes. I do realize that people in other countries work longer hours than we Americans. I should "Count the blessings".
I would not move to Sweden for that reason alone.