British Design

@millie02 (6905)
United Kingdom
The proper title of this book is `British Design image and identity' , it was written by Frederique Huygen in 1989. I found this book when I brought a large box of books at auction and I was not sure that I was going to like it. It did not really look like the sort of book that I would enjoy. However , I thought that I would have a go at reading through it, and in the end I did enjoy it. I found it very informative and easy to read. Just goes to show that you cannot judge a book by its cover.
@indexer (1650)
• Leicester, England
The author doesn't sound very British! Is he an outsider looking in, or a naturalized Brit? Either way, we Brits have much to be proud of in terms of design - a day spent at the V&A will convince anyone of that fact!
@millie02 (6905)
I once spent a day at the V&A and I found that a day was not enough. I only managed to look at the art and the pottery, I would have needed a week to look around properly. I do not know anything about the author, perhaps I should do some research on him.
@indexer (1650)
• Leicester, England
@millie02 I agree - a day might be enough to convince one about British design, but certainly not enough to take everything in!
@millie02 (6905)
@indexer I was surprised at what a huge place it was. I still think of it now, and I last visited it in 1992. I have been to other museums and exhibitions since. One I remember most was an exhibition at the Museum of London in the year 2000 when we took my daughter there because she was doing something for her college course.
It would be an interesting book from a historical perspective.
@millie02 (6905)
Yes it is, most of it is about the 20th Century which I can identify with as I have lived through the last 40 years of it.