This kid makes noises all the time

My son has aspergers but I don’t think that has anything to do with this. He makes odd noises all the time but it’s especially bad when he has mucus in his throat. The past three days have been very tough to deal with. Every few seconds he makes a noise in particular yesterday it was “eh eh sorry” and something else that ended with okay but I can’t recall now. It’s pretty hard to describe but I know if I put a video on Facebook to show you guys he will see it and get upset. I kept telling him to stop making noises yesterday because his sister and I were about to lose our minds over it. He seems unable to control it though. I timed it yesterday and he was doing it 11 times in 1 minute. I think I need ear plugs if this lasts anymore days. Starting to think maybe he has Tourette’s.
As I was reading this, my thoughts went right to tourettes. I hope you can take him to a dr soon if it keeps up to see if it is or not.
I texted my boyfriend this morning and said I think my son has Tourette's and he said "Your just seeing that now" he said he asked about the noises years ago and thought it was Tourette's. I am so depressed this morning over it. He always makes odd little noises but it's only this bad when he is sick. It lasts a few days which is usually I assume from the post nasal drip irritating him but it's been a week with no sign of a cold yet.
@shaggin I'd get him looked at while he's still doing it.
Our doctor would have to send him to a neurologist to be looked at which would take months to get it. I did make some videos though.
It sounds like Tourette Syndrome to me, but only a doctor can diagnose it. I had several students with it.
I was thinking today how lucky the public school teachers are not to have to deal with his noises by me doing cyber school with him
@shaggin Lol! It's funny what teachers get used to.
I can barely stand this from my own kid I could never be a teacher I have deep respect for all they do!
@LeaPea2417 (22104)
• Toccoa, Georgia
I am sorry about that. I hope he can quit making the noises.
I wish he was able to control it but he doesn't seem to be able too
@LeaPea2417 (22104)
• Toccoa, Georgia
@shaggin It probably is Tourette's like you are thinking.
I was thinking Tourette's too. Hopefully, this will stop. If it continues for far too long, perhaps having him checked to determine what may be causing this.
He only ever does it this bad when he is coming down with a cold. It's been over a week now though so if it lasts another week I will take him to a doctor.
@shaggin Seasonal allergies? Bad winter viruses.
Could definitely be an allergy and that would be an easy remedy to take Claritin or something. Went I went for what I thought was a sinus infection the doctor said it was a pollen allergy and gave me a steroid nasal spray. I used it twice but I just deal with the allergies as I don't want a steroid all the time. I hate my kids having any medicines but this doctor usually doesn't prescribe them anything unless they really need it.
@Gillygirl (17462)
• Sutton, England
Oh dear the poor kid, I hope you get it sorted out soon.
It hasn't lessened up any today but hopefully soon
It sounds like Tourettes to me as well. I would have him evaluated if I were you. I think posting videos on FB is probably not the way to go..sorry, you are dealing with this, but it is probably especially tough for him.
The video I made didn't have him in it just the sounds he is making so I can show a doctor if I need to. I wouldn't a video of him doing it though because he would be really upset if he saw it.
@sjvg1976 (18404)
It may be due to the mucous he is making such noise. I am sorry that you and your daughter have to tolerate it.
He has no sign of sickness right now but usually the only time he makes these noises so badly is when he is sick. I am hoping it stops again soon it is very hard to deal with.
@cintol (7879)
When he has a lot of mucus in his throat, is he clearing his throat to try and get the mucus to pass?
Not really it’s not a throat clearing sound. I remember testing my voice to see if I talked normally when I was sick as I lost my voice a lot but I only did it once in awhile. His tonight was every 5 seconds.
@cintol (7879)
@shaggin You might have to take him in and get him looked at if he keeps doing it. I know when my sister is sick she clears her throat constantly and it drives me crazy, she makes a really high pitch noise when she does it.
My late husband had some kind of post nasal drip so he constantly he made this loud awful throat clearing sound. I absolutely hated it. My sons been doing this for a week now. Especially bad the past 3 days. I started recording it tonight in case we do need to go to a doctor.
@FayeHazel (20171)
I was just going to suggest Tourette.... sounds like a tic , poor kid, hope he finds something that helps
This latest episode has lasted a week. Hopefully it stops again soon. The regular noises I can deal with but this every 5 seconds is tough to tolerate.
@FayeHazel (20171)
@shaggin Oh that sounds uncomfortable for all involved. I hope he's ok
It has been much less today thankfully but he is obnoxious and miserable and his sister is sick.
What is Tourettes's?
It causes them to have a tic but I'm not sure how to describe it. Do a search it will be able to explain it better.
@shaggin Thanks Shaggin. I cannot check now.
Sorry I was at the dentist with my kids so I couldn't look up a link to share with you. This explains it better then I can.
Learn the details about Tourette's syndrome, which causes involuntary movements and sounds.
It is better you go to see a doctor, before he gets this as a habit.
He had a done it for years but usually only this bad when he is sick which I assume is due to post nasal drip irritating him. I told my boyfriend what I thought and he said "Your just seeing this now" and told me he asked me years ago about the noises and thought it was Tourette's. I feel like crying this morning
@shaggin Do not feel depressed, Tourette syndrome is not dangerous or life threatening. Of course tics tend to become repetitive, this seems the case for his phonic tic.
I know I shouldn't be upset realizing this since it's nothing new going on that wasn't before. I just think every hardship my kids have effects them later in life and life can be so hard as it is.
@Courage7 (16773)
That does sound like tourettes..sorry you are dealing with it. My nephew had it
It’s usually something I can ignore but when he is sick or anything it is so constant I feel like screaming. Tonight he was doing it about every 5 seconds.
@Courage7 (16773)
@shaggin Yes I know the torment of it..it is very sad and heartbreaking to witness. It is not something you can do anything about ..we had to just ride it out with my nephew..he still has it a bit now and he is 23yrs old
Since it’s always worse when he is sick or anything I need to put him in a bubble
@PainsOnSlate (20603)
I'm sorry for him and you, it can't be comfortable for him and It would make me batty too.
He doesn't seem able to control it at all and I feel bad getting frustrated with him about it
@shaggin will he drink extra water? That seems to be helping at school.
Hmm he never drinks water only rarely at bedtime I can get him to try if it might bring us some relief from the noises he makes
one of my nephews does this too.incessantly rambles to himself.
It's quite nerve wracking
@shaggin it is.he's got aspergers/autism too tho.. i try to get him to play outside where i can't hear it.
My son will rarely ever go outside. We do cyber school and I am with him pretty much 24-7 so when he is doing these noises I never get a break from it. In the summertime at least I can go outside lol
I can understand how upsetting it is to have to live with that, for him as well as for you and your daughter. I hope you can get some relief soon.
He doesn't seem bothered by it but he doesn't seem able to stop it no matter how frustrated we get. It causes me anxiety when it gets this bad.
@shaggin Must be difficult to live with.
@irishidid (8734)
Yeah, that does sound like Tourette's.
Only took me 10 years to think of it :/ Crazy I never thought of it before.
@irishidid (8734)
@shaggin My middle child is autistic and I've learned it never comes by itself. There's always another issue to go along with it. I've dealt with the autism, ADHD, OCD, trichotillomania, etc. That last one is compulsive hair pulling, twisting. Thankfully it was short lived!
I know two children who are cousins and have aspergers and they have Tourette's too. I wonder if they go together commonly.
• Northampton, England
Sounds like Tourettes or just a simple tick.
Yes I agree. I just hope it ends soon it is driving my daughter and I completely nuts!
• Northampton, England
@shaggin i think its a tick caused by being agitated by his sinus. It will go away by friday
• Pamplona, Spain
Hope you can find out what it is and get some good treatment for it.
Right now I'm not to worried as it always eases up but this is the longest it has ever lasted where it's this bad. If it continues another week I will get him to a doctor.
• Pamplona, Spain
@shaggin Best thing to do really if you can. Maybe there is a Specialist who will know what to do hope so.
@rakski (22181)
My son does tapping doors or tables with his feet or hands though not most of the time. Did you have him check if he has tourettes?
Nope never had him tested for it as I never really thought much about the noises. He's always made odd little noises but only this bad usually when he is sick. Does your son have Tourette's?
@rakski (22181)
@shaggin No. My son does not have it. He is an special school that caters and adapts to his needs every morning. And in the afternoon, he is with me,
@bunnybon7 (37473)
• Holiday, Florida
oh that is sad. poor little guy. he needs more testing done by a good doctor. it could be something needs helped right away.
He has always made odd noises but I never really thought anything of it. He only does it this bad usually when he is sick which I assume is from post nasal drip irritating him. If it continues another week I'll call the doctor.
@bunnybon7 (37473)
• Holiday, Florida
@shaggin hope the doctor gets him fixed up. poor little guy