My Life Has Gotten So Chaotic

It's becoming increasingly harder to feel joy. I am normally a very upbeat and happy person, but these days I have to go to great efforts to even glimpse joy for a moment or two. My mama's Alzheimer's and my daddy's vascular dementia are rapidly advancing. I have never experienced these illnesses before my parents were diagnosed. I feel like every day is a juggling act and I'm dropping the balls. I spent Monday afternoon preparing my daddy for a colonoscopy. He is no longer capable of following instructions and I needed to make sure he was ready yesterday morning for the procedure. I stayed over at his house as late as I could. My nephew lives with my parents and I thought that my parents would go to sleep and my nephew could watch them until the next morning. Daddy wasn't supposed to eat anything but jello and broth. The next morning my sister and I went over to my parents house. My nephew and daddy assured us that he had slept all night and hadn't ate. My sister went to check on our mama. She was getting dressed and trying to pull her underwear on. She had her head through one leg opening and was putting her arm through another. Apparently she is starting to lose the ability to dress herself and recognize different articles of clothing. My sister got her dressed and off to the hospital we went. The wait for the procedure was ridiculous. My mama was frightened from being in a unfamiliar place for so long. Leaving her home isn't an option. He wants her with him wherever he goes and she crys and panics when he is away from her. It was a very difficult situation to keep her happy and content in the waiting room. She no longer has any filters and may shout out I gotta PEE !! The day ended up a disaster when the doctor couldn't complete the colonoscopy because daddy had eaten a strawberry pop tart sometime in the wee hours of morning. If I'm not around much, you know why. I hope you all have a good day
why does your daddy need this.How old is he.They stopped giving to people over 75.There is not need for this. What is the reason for his colonoscopy?
Exactly what I was going to say, Fredo. This is more stress than he needs. If there is some concern a non invasive occult blood stool sample is much better.
@GardenGerty hopefully this is the last one.
Oh my. How did you figure out it was a pop tart he had eaten? Take care, that is so much to deal with.
He finally remembered what he ate and told my sister.
@Tampa_girl7 If it had been my dad when he had dementia, I would have wondered if he was accurate that he ate it. So tough to deal with. Take care.
God bless you. Have you thought about long term care for them, getting them into a place and having them in the same room would be perfect. There will be a day come when you can no longer tend to them.
We are trying to figure things out.
@Tampa_girl7 Its hard and sad, I do know
You have a lot on your plate right now and I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers. Hopefully talking about it here helps as many of us are or have gone through it too
It really does help to talk about it.
Oh no. I'm so sorry things are tough for you and you cant really find any joy. Also sorry the dr couldnt do the testing. Have a question though.. how come they arent in a home?
Because they wanted to remain in their home and we do not have power of attorney yet.
@Tampa_girl7 sadly, they seem to need to be elsewhere
@Courtlynn I know
I can imagine that this is a very hard time for you and yours. I'm sure you've already told us but I don't remember: do they live in an old people's home or are they still independent? I can't imagine the latter case.
They live within view of my home and my twenty year old nephew lives with them.
@Tampa_girl7 That must be reassuring for you.
@MALUSE I am very blessed to be so near them.
@nanette64 (17729)
• Fairfield, Texas
Oh @Tampa_girl7 , I am so sorry for every one involved. This has got to be absolutely mind draining. It can be frustrating and heart-wrenching at the same time.
Yes, it is very draining.
@nanette64 (17729)
• Fairfield, Texas
@Tampa_girl7 You hang in there girl.
@HazySue (22017)
I am sorry you are going through all of this. It is so hard when your parents have reached the stage that they have. I know it takes a lot out of you and you need a rest. It will come, try to take care of your self and take a minture to just walk outside take a deep breath and try to remember your blessings.
I am always aware of my blessings
@HazySue (22017)
I am so so sorry what you are going through. It must be so difficult with one with Alheimers and one with Dimentia.
It is overwhelming.
@Tampa_girl7 Marie, it certainly is. My heart goes out to you.
@Plethos (10304)
ive been around a bit of youre going through with my ex's family. everyday is a new adventure . youre doing the job of a saint.
Truly everyday is different.
@Plethos (10304)
@Tampa_girl7 - sometimes you have to go into each day as if its the first day, because to her, it is.
I only had one parent to deal with which was hard because like you I had no clue about all this unfunny stuff. I have at least learned that most of the time the state you live in will help with some aspects of these kinds of problems, here I called the human services department and asked if they had any programs that could help me with mom's needs. Not that they did a lot but at least they helped me understand what I was going to be in for. It was not fun. I think you mentioned living in Missouri and found this website:
The official Missouri Department of Health and Senior Services website
We are in Mississippi. I have been researching things
I hope you get some help somehow @Tampa_girl7 I was lucky dad was an Army veteran cuz it helped with mom's needs.
It is really rough. Both my parents, first Mom, now Dad, were victims of dementia. We are still seeing to Dad. Sis and I have had an 18-year run with both parents. It will wear you down, big time.
I know that you understand
Oh poor Marie, I am so sorry. I can imagine how frustrated you are, the pain to see your parents like this and the stress of all those things to take care of. Try to rest when you can, you need to be strong.
Thanks and how are you doing ?
@Tampa_girl7 I am still stressed, now there are all the formalities to change the ownership of the apartment, to transfer the money for her bank account and so on. It takes time.
@TheSojourner (17442)
Oh, Marie! I am so sorry. I know how difficult this is.
It is just the worst thing ever.
@Tampa_girl7 I know, hon. Hugs. I'm so sorry.
@bebuddy (269)
The lines written in picture is of the hindi poet not sure of the writer but for that he was awarded for his diiferent thought. U made me remember something that was forgetten.
I love what it says
@Platespinner (16785)
praying for you, Marie. Providing care and support for declining parents is hard. Even watching from a distance is hard (in the last 5 months my children have lost 2 grandparents).
So sorry to hear of your loss. That is a lot to deal with.
• Northampton, England
I feel for you. The state is increasingly abandoning its citizens on healthcare.
Yes I feel like they diagnose people and then throw them to the wolves.
@averygirl72 (16634)
I feel it's very stressful and depressing. Keep believing in miracles. Hope you can cope up well with your situation
Thank you
I am so sad to read this! It just isn't fair. Dealing with one parent having dementia or Alzheimer's is hard enough but to go through it with both parents at the same time makes it doubly hard. My heart goes out to you
I cry at least once a day.
Marie, it is like a double whammy. I am so sorry.
It really is a nightmare.