You Belong to Me

Daytona Beach, Florida
Best song of 1952 and one of my all time favorites was “You Belong to Me” sung by Jo Stafford. It is a romantic pop ballad which expresses to someone you love that no matter what happens you belong to them. The song was written by Chilton Price, Pee Wee King, and Redd Stewart. Price was a songwriting librarian who wrote the song with the title “Hurry Home to Me”. Imagining it as a song in which an American woman makes a plea to her sweetheart serving overseas in WW II. King and Stewart made adjustments to the song both musically and lyrically turning it into a universal song about separated lovers. They changed the title to “You Belong to Me”. Originally the song was sung by Joni James but when cover versions came the most popular was the one sung by Jo Stafford. There are many cover versions to choose from depending on who is your favorite singer. Surprisingly this is one song Elvis never chose to record. How many of you know this song?
Jo Stafford singing You Belong To Me Please Rate and Comment!
@FourWalls (15254)
Ooh, love this song. I love Patsy Cline’s version, too.
Thanks for letting me know. I love Patsy Cline and didn't know she sang this song. I will check it out @FourWalls
@FourWalls (15254)
@RasmaSandra -- she definitely made it a Patsy Cline song!
One of the greatest singers in the history of country music, Patsy Cline also helped blaze a trail for female singers to assert themselves as an integral par...
@FourWalls thanks.
It's a standard. A big hit for Jo Stafford.
@pitsipeahie (2246)
This is one of my favorite songs! But the rendition I like is that of Carla Bruni released 2008.
one of my favorite songs " You Belong To Me" for Carla Bruni from the album Comme Si De Rien Netait
Thanks for sharing @pitsipeahie
@indexer (1685)
• Leicester, England
This is not the song I was expecting from the title. There is one that begins "You belong to me, everybody tells me so", which is probably from the 60s rather than the 50s. However, the opening line of this one is familiar, and - as a librarian - I like the concept of a songwriting librarian! I also note that it dates from the year of my birth, so there's a bit of a connection there.
Did you mean You were made for me? with the word you gave I got this song @indexer
Chords and lyrics are HERE: YOU WERE MADE FOR ME: Freddie & The Dreamers: #21 in 1965. CHORUS: G G7 C You were made for me, G G7 C Everybody tells me so. G G...
I like this song as well.
Great song and I loved watching all the different hair-styles.
@dya80dya (5526)
I know this old song.
@1hopefulman (32553)
I am always singing or whistling this song. Beautiful version! Did you ever hear Bob Dylan sing it?
Nope another version I never heard but will look it up. Thanks @1hopefulman
@1hopefulman (32553)
@RasmaSandra For some reason, I love his version.
See the pyramids along the Nile Watch the sunrise from a tropic isle Just remember, darling all the while You belong to me See the marketplace in old Algiers...
@1hopefulman thanks.
I wonder why,? it sounds like a song Elvis would sing.
Who knows @Kandae11 Elvis decided to sit this one out.
@m_audrey6788 (15331)
I heard it