Do Any of You Crochet or Spin Your Own Yarn?

@vera5d (4006)
A recent hobby I have started learning is how to spin yarn. I fell in love with how rhythmic it is to spin wool into yarn. I learned at first on a drop spindle, and then eventually was surprised when someone gave my husband a spinning wheel! It was the happiest day! I didn't know how to crochet or knit or weave before I started spinning yarn however, so I was spinning all sorts of pretty art yarns with different textures and colors - without any idea of what I might make with it! This is a picture of something I created. I'm not sure what it will be quite yet {it is still in process and mostly just creative work!} - but I am thinking it will likely be a large blanket-sized piece by the time it all finished with different circle patterns. The yarn I made for this is a blend of silk and wool. The silk I dyed by hand, and I then carded and blended the two together to prepare the fibers for spinning. Do any of you crochet or spin your own yarn? Tell me about your projects!
@LeaPea2417 (23325)
• Toccoa, Georgia
I know basic stitches of crocheting and did crochet 2 blankets in the past.
@vera5d (4006)
Blankets are hard! They seem to take forever! You should be very proud even if you only know a couple of the basic stitches!
I do not spin yarn, but did crocheting years ago.
@vera5d (4006)
It is something I sorta of learned to do as a kid, and then picked up again for the first time last year...it takes a LOT of practice and dedication! Spinning is so fun though, I had to find something to do with all that yarn!
I can do none of the things you mentioned, but so glad you have learned how to do them. Love the colors you used. I can sew by hand and by machine, but have not done so for quite a while.
@vera5d (4006)
Thank you! I am trying to learn how to sew, but that's a whole new world for me! It took me awhile to learn how to crochet, but it is fun! It takes forever though! It's relaxing though - very rhythmic!
I don't spin my own yarn, it's one art I haven't learned. I'm in awe of those who have as it is a beautiful art! Through the years I've done weaving, knitting, some crochet, pottery, and photography among other artwork including sewing. Yes, sewing is artwork if you think about it. I now design and make teddy bears and other critters. I've won a lot of awards for my work, and still have a LOT of fun working on my various stuffed critters. Keep doing your craft, it's beautiful!
@vera5d (4006)
There is a lot to explore in the fiber arts world! I agree sewing is an artform - I barely can get my machine to sew a straight line, so when I see others making dresses and quilts I am in total awe. Spinning came super natural to me - like you I've explored so many different arts - mostly in paper art, book making, scrapbooking and mixed media before getting caught up in the fiber world! I am hoping to learn weaving on a loom soon, but that is something I'm not sure I'm ready to commit to yet because a loom would take up a lot of space in our small house! Did you make the bear in your profile picture? It is adorable!