Your Mother Told You What?

https://pixabay.com/en/emoticon-emoji-shock-surprise-1659346/
@HazySue (20793)
This morning an article about child support and social services brought to mind a conversation that I had a few years ago with one of my students. We were talking about the fact that her mother was going to be having her 4th baby any day. The student was filling me in on how the daddy to be has just disappeared into thin air. All of the sudden she asked me how many children I had. I told her I had three girls. She then asked me if any of them had the same father. It shocked me for a moment and I was speechless. Finally I told her that they all had the same father. She seemed surprised. She then told me that her mama said that when you have a baby you should make sure that each baby had a different father. Why was that I asked. Apparently her mother told her that when you have one baby per father you get more child support than if you had the same father for your babies. It sounded like she was preparing her daughter for the future of using the system. What to you think of this? It made me wonder if love entered into baby making at all in their lives.
I am speechless too that a mother would give this kind of advice to her daughter.
@HazySue (20793)
The last time I saw this former student she was 20 years old with a toddler and a baby. They did not have the same father.
A mother should be telling her child to marry only if you are in love and to have children when you are ready.
@HazySue (20793)
That's what I told my girls. I will always remember this child, she was a sweet girl.
This angers me since using the system is something that has not had a "fix" implemented. Of course, the fix would be less votes for a certain party.
@HazySue (20793)
That's so true. It is one of the reasons the country is in the shape it is in.
@Daelii (5032)
.... I'd be speechless too! All my kids are my husbands. I know quite a few who have multiple baby daddy's or baby mamas. It doesn't seem like a great situation when people just use babies as attempt to force a relationship or as an income possibility. Either of those cases the kids needs come last if at all. :( I hope that girl found a more positive role model...
@HazySue (20793)
No, the girl is having her babies with different men and collecting that money just like her mama.
It certainly doesn't sound like it. It does sound like her mother is preparing her to be a tramp. I don't think you can use the other word I'm thinking of on here. Find a guy, go out with him for the night or nights, get knocked up and then sue him for child support. No love there. I feel sorry for the fathers of her siblings, and herself. It's not a good way to raise a child.
@HazySue (20793)
It certainly is not. I tried talking to her about a home, husband and family but she felt that the money was what she needed. She told me her money told her that if you work it right, you don't need a husband.
@HazySue Boy, has she been brainwashed. She was how old? Those kinds of ideas when set in so young are almost impossible to change.
@HazySue (20793)
@just4him When I had the conversation with her she was 11 years old. When I found out she had 2 children she was 20.
This is amazing. I know girls who've become pregnant because the grant they can get here before the baby arrives would pay for a new you-beaut TV. What a dreadful mindset.
@HazySue (20793)
I don't understand a mother who does not want better for their child. To me is sort of like selling your daughter.
@HazySue Certainly selling her short. What a dreadful role-model.
@HazySue (20793)
@JudyEv It really is a shame.
Just wow.
@HazySue (20793)
It kind of makes you speechless doesn't it?
@HazySue oh yes.
wow! Can't believe a mother would tell that to her own daughter. Poor child.
@HazySue (20793)
It isn't the way to raise a child for sure. She was teaching her how to play the system.
How awful! It sounds like cycles of bad parenting skills who try to use the system. I had a student whose mother tried to get each of her many children into special education, so she could bilk the state. She had no job, a large home, a new car, and a built in pool. The state finally made the laws stiffer, and she moved.
@HazySue (20793)
I have seen that also. It's awful what they will do to try and get money from the government.
@HazySue It is just awful. Such nasty schemers.
@id_peace (5977)
Wow her mum is such a negative influence.
@HazySue (20793)
I don't know why any mother would say something like that.
That is heartbreaking to hear
@HazySue (20793)
It was to me. I remember this conversation because of the shock of it all.