Date of death - to be advised

dove-cote, Osterwieck
Bunbury, Australia
Regular myLotter @xFiacre wrote recently about how his aunt’s ashes were mixed with potters’ clay and made into six commemorative mugs. The link is at the bottom of this discussion. Fiacre asked what the reader would like to be made into. We recently paid to book a niche in a columbarium at our former parish. A columbarium is also a name for a dove- or pigeon-cote and I’ve written about them before. Here’s a link: http://www.mylot.com/post/3136188/there-are-columbariums-and-there-are-columbariums Our ashes will be put in a casket and sealed into one of the holes in the wall of the columbarium. The only added extra expense for our boys will be the plaque. If we don’t die for ages, the price of the plaque might go up. Indeed, it is almost sure to. So we thought we could get around the problem by paying for the plaque and some nice words on it to say who we were and how much we’ll be missed. We could put our birth dates but, as we won’t know our date of death, we could just have engraved ‘TBA’ (to be advised). What do you think? And it’s meant to be a joke, folks. The photo is of a dove-cote in the German town of Osterwieck where my ancestors came from. Although a dove-cote, this looks nothing like our columbarium. There is a photo of a pigeon columbarium which looks more like a person one on my other post. But it’s an interesting photo isn’t it?
This is a photograph of my aunt. When she was cremated her ashes were added to some potters clay and a set of six commemorative mugs were produced from what was...
I said to my husband that my ashes must be dispersed. Why to be closed in a urn for the eternity when your ashes can be free in the nature? This is also less expensive, after all, once we are gone we are gone.
@tiada123 (342)
Agree, i wish to plant a tree with my ashes one day.
@tiada123 I think it is the best we can do. To let our ashes free in the nature.
Yes, being scattered in a natural setting is a good idea.
@jobelbojel (8136)
That is a good plan. It was a nice idea to mix the ashes in making the mugs. I want my ashes to be buried in my mother's tomb.
I wouldn't want to be made into a mug. It seems a bit weird to me.
@Mshafeeq (1553)
• Bangalore, India
Interesting one have to think over it.
@Mshafeeq (1553)
• Bangalore, India
@JudyEv oh I see I will be just in time I guess.
That's a good idea. I hate to think about it though.
You have plenty of time yet. We wanted it sorted and paid for so our sons wouldn't have to worry about it.
@AKRao24 (20981)
Yes indeed the picture looks very beautiful and pleasant dear @JudyEv ! Thanks!
It's a lovely old building isn't it?
@xFiacre (5140)
@judyev thanks for the mention. I don’t really care what’s done to my leavings once I’ve gone, but it’s a good idea to leave instructions so that your family doesn’t have to make decisions. My aged parents have paid for their arrangements and given me instructions.
Ours is decided and paid for now. But the link to your post about your aunt isn't working it seems. I don't know why not.
That is an interesting photo.
It was a lovely old dove-cote.
• Uzbekistan
The link to your aunt doesn't work. At least not for me.
Sorry. I don't know why that is. It's Fiacre's post. I'll add it here but I don't know if it will work.
• Uzbekistan
@JudyEv Strange. Here it works.
@MALUSE Ours not to reason why!
My religion forbids cremation, and that's fine by me. When we return home, we will make arrangements, just so our sons won't have that burden.
That was our idea - to make one less problem/decision for our boys.
@JudyEv We've been putting it off, but our younger son suggested we do it to save him and my older son the trouble. He is right!
@DianneN It does save hassles especially if someone hasn't left any guidelines as to what they'd like.
@cintol (7706)
I love buildings like this one and I have never seen anything like having your ashes made into cups and such. Different idea though. My husband and I ashes will be mixed together and he wants them spread over the ocean since he was in the Navy and loved the water
I know many people like to have them spread in a certain place. I can understand that.
@cintol (7706)
I am terrified by water so I don't want to go there but I won't be there so its ok with me
@cintol By that stage we'll all be past caring won't we?
@Orson_Kart (4481)
If I could afford it, I would be cryogenically frozen and when reversing old age became possible, I could be revived and live forever. Sound good?
I don't know you well enough to judge!
@JudyEv I used to like you.
Question marks would have been funny as well!
@JudyEv - No, I missed that.
@JustBhem (42791)
• Davao, Philippines
I was thinking about putting my ashes in a special box and put it in a place where they can see me. Lol
Many people have their ashes put in a special urn.
@JustBhem (42791)
• Davao, Philippines
@JudyEv Yeah, I wanted to be like that. You know where they can still see me. Lol
@mydanods (6747)
• Nigeria
I wouldn't care how I was buried. What I deem more important is how people treat me now that I am alive. When I die, I become ashes, nonexistent.
@bebuddy (269)
Good idea mix ashes and make mud
I've never heard of making something from a person's ashes before.
@LeaPea2417 (21939)
• Toccoa, Georgia
I will probably be buried. I am not sure about cremation.
Cremation is very common here but there aren't a lot of towns that have crematoriums - only the big ones.
We will be cremated, that is all I know, although I have seen the offers to become starter pods for trees. That would be nice.
We almost chose to have the ashes buried in a rose garden. There are many options.
@averygirl72 (16617)
I think I don't want to be cremated. Ashes made to mugs sounds a good idea maybe a flower vase is good too
A flower vase would be better than a mug.
I don't want to be "made into a tea cup" I would prefer my ashes be scattered over a body of water, and maybe a plaque with my name on it at the base of a tree would be good.
There is a lot of choice nowadays isn't there? On the Busselton jetty in Western Australia, also every post along the pier has a plaque commemorating someone who used to fish from that place. The old fisherman all had their favourite spot on the jetty from which to fish. Most have had their ashes scattered at that place.
I would love to feed the fishes in the sea...
I'm sure they'd appreciate it.