Making Your Own Burial Plan

Anniston, Alabama
More and more people are making their own burial arrangements, how they want it and where. I like this idea and I am thinking about starting this for myself. I know a few people who prepaid for their burial so that the family, or lack of family, would not be burdened. I have seen people have a large life insurance policy and the beneficiary that made the arrangements made it look like they were poor, with the cheapest casket and funeral, all so they could keep the money! Tony has lung cancer and has been talking about going ahead and making his own arrangements, you do not have to pay all at once, just a down payment and then monthly payments, if you die before its paid off, that owing amount is all that has to be paid and everything is all set and ready to go. I hope he does, it would be a relief because I know I would be the one doing it, not his siblings. My sister wanted to do it like this but could not afford the monthly payment so she took out enough to pay for her funeral in life insurance. I am sure I will pay for my own everything, I do not have anyone that could afford to bury me. What do you think about prepaid funerals?
Makes sense really, and it is a good hedge against inflation
When I say that people say " that is so cold to think that way"
My friend and her husband did this and are paying it off monthly. Neither is in bad health but they want to save their children the burden of it all. I haven't planned my own arrangements but my children know my wishes
I knew my dads wishes too.
I have an insurance and I really don't care how cheap my casket look. I want to be cremated anyway. I don't want an expensive casket as I'd rather have my insurance go to the people who are still living. It would just be burned anyway. I"ll just live a will on how I would want it to be.
We wont be burned, none of my family, or Tony.
@andriaperry we have different beliefs. And in our family, we choose to follow what we believe in. That’s why we all want to be cremated.
@aureliah (19438)
• Kenya
I have not thought of planning that. I’m scared if I do it will be sooner than I think.
Not me. Its just being a responsible person.
@aureliah (19438)
• Kenya
@nife2018 (1152)
• Lagos, Nigeria
Honestly, it funny here and tell or educating someone in southwest Nigeria to do that will result to a civil war, though we always says, plan your last respect day now, it's a necessary to do that, I always thought of it everyday
You have to go by your laws there.
@nife2018 (1152)
• Lagos, Nigeria
@andriaperry oh law? When we speak of law here it's has nothing to do with self burial preparation at all, so people lives free lifestyle, live and die for not care for nobody care.
@Courage7 (18327)
I think its a good idea
Makes it easier.
We are making plans as soon as we get home.
I think its being responsible.
@Dena91 (4757)
My in laws got theirs taking care of a couple years ago and I am thankful that they have. It will be an easier time for us when that time comes. Mike and I need to get ours taking care of.
Yes because getting that much money up is hard, and they will not bury on credit.
• Denver, Colorado
Like you said, it allows you to have some control over it. Personally, I figure I'm not gonna know either way, so I'm really not too worried about it.