I am a bit shocked watching the Olympics.

Banks, Oregon
I am a bit shocked watching the winter Olympics, don't get me wrong I am enjoying it, but I am shocked North Korea was allowed to compete, that's the opposite of anything I expected, but you know, I hope it leads to peace in the world, though hard to believe, at least everything I have ever heard of North Korea, it is a beautiful opening ceremony though. I guess Kim's sister is there for North Korea and, Mike Pence for the USA. What is your thoughts with North Korea's involvement in the winter Olympics? Photo is from Pixabay free images
• Peoria, Arizona
I think it is great, it shows what the Olympics is all about and why it was created in the first place, we are all equal and we all live on this planet together.
I agree but I was under the impression their leader doesn't believe that we are equal.
• Peoria, Arizona
@TRBRocks420 Of course not, doesn't mean his people don't want to be.
I don't quite know what to think. It will be interesting to see how events unfold in the future.
Same I never believed it was even possible.
I think the South Korean president is very naive if he thinks for one minute this makes his country safer.
I tend to agree with you, but I do hope for the best.
@vandana7 (64837)
I guess I too qualify as naive then.
@vandana7 The leader there put out a hit on his own brother and, routinely kills anyone who disagrees with him.
It's just another ploy to make it look like they're getting along. But it's good for the atheletes of the North to explore but I hope they win some medals or it's the prison for them.
I agree my friend and, we can only hope for the best.
I knew North Korea was joining because they teamed up with South Korea. I read about it on BBC news last month. Not surprised at all.
I never heard or knew anything of this have always heard they wern't allowed to do things other countries do.
@TRBRocks420 And I learned from my Korean friend that this is not the first time North and South Korea teamed up in olympics. It has happened in the past too.
@toniganzon Seems odd from someone looking in, because they have been at war and, separated for decades even recently shooting men for trying to escape their.
@Mshafeeq (1569)
• Bangalore, India
I was not thinking that North Korea will participate in this olympics rather eliminating it from olympics but as this a worlds game and being a part of it since very long time they have done it to show the world for peace.
I hope it all works for real peace between them.
@vandana7 (64837)
At least they are not always about nuclear achievements.
@Mshafeeq (1569)
• Bangalore, India
@vandana7 yeah conversation begins with nuke and end with nuke.
• Eugene, Oregon
It could be a good thing and a way to ease tensions between north and south. But Kim Jung Un is as mercurial and unpredictable as Trump, so who knows how it will turn out? It is better than war.
Yes, I hope it is a true sign of peace it would be nice.
@vandana7 (64837)
My thinking. :)
I don't follow sports, but... hopefully it'll be okay =)
I hope so too :)
It is ok as long as they are not up to anything.
I hope for the best.
• Cuddalore, India
Olympic is one of the path to express our skills to world.
Very true it's a awesome event for the worlds best athletes.
The Olympics aren't supposed to be about politics, so I understand them being allowed to compete, whether it's right or wrong
I am happy for the people, but I don't trust their leader.
@TRBRocks420 - Not as far as I could throw his chubby self.
I think its awesome, but I understand what you mean.... " who woulda thunk that?!" after all the nuke talk.
I agree and, I hope for the best, but just surprising.
• Northampton, England
North Korea competing is a VERY GOOD thing..Even Kim wouldnt vaporize his own sister
I doubt if it does anything good in the long run.
The whole point of the Olympics is that the entire world can compete. How is this any different to the height of the Cold War where the USA and Soviet Union both competed, or the 1936 Olympics that were HOSTED by Nazi Germany? If countries want to use the Olympics to make a political statement, they can do so (e.g. Iran refusing to compete against Israel) but they usually only end up harming themselves. Also, think of this from the NK athletes perspective - sporting success is one of the very few avenues open to the average North Korean to improve their life. Medalists are treated as national heroes in the country.
Once again you're misunderstanding and, obviously uniformed of what goes on in North Korea it's a surprise that there dictator allowed them to compete he usually kills anyone who disagrees with him as well as starves them and, many other horrible things you may want to research.
@TRBRocks420 In politics, yes I agree the regime will happily purge anyone seen as a threat (e.g. Jang song-taek) but in the sporting arena NK is desperate to compete as It's one of the few opportunities to basically "showcase" the country to the world, and should you defeat an "enemy" that's even better. Think of the USA v. USSR matches in sports like ice hockey, USA v. Iran in the football World Cup (btw Iran won and the footage from Tehran would make you think they'd won the entire tournament) or even something like India v. Pakistan in cricket (which believe me is intense). If North Korea can medal then it guarantees media exposure in the outside world, internally it helps Kim (as no doubt the medal winners were "inspired by the Leader's guidance" or some such rubbish) and as I commented before, it helps the athletes themselves in a limited fashion. As for being "surprised", do you really think a North Korean athlete would be so stupid as to voice ANY criticism of the regime during the Games? The ordinary people may despise him but only the Party elites or outside forces can realistically get rid of him.
@Midlander That's kind of my thinking why he allowed it too, because of the media coverage and, of course the chance to compete and, win, that does make a lot of sense.
@vandana7 (64837)
I think intermingling allows others to see who is progressing, and how happy or unhappy etc. People then realize that they are mistaken about others and all that propaganda is wrong. When they return home they share their experiences and thoughts and it percolates. So I am for allowing North Korea to participate. In any event, what can citizens do about the leaders? Voting does not mean having rights to have the leader behave the way we want them to. So sportsperson be viewed like that.
I have no problem with them competing, what I meant is I am surprised Kim allowed it since he usually kills anyone who try's to go to the South and, I didn't believe he even allowed his people to have fun or think for themselves, have you not saw the news and, documentaries.