Put it "on the cuff" I told her

Eugene, Oregon
Anne cuts what little hair I have and keeps me more or less presentable. She gave am a trim this morning and I told her to put it "on the cuff." That means "charge it." Of course, she does not charge me. I get buy on my charm and wit. But she had never heard that saying about the cuff. I have known about it for a long time. It goes back to the time before cash registers when you would order a drink in a saloon and tell the bartender to "put it on the cuff." Sometimes that would be literal, the bartender would write the charge on the cuff of his shirt. If you got too much on the cuff, you were cut off in that saloon. Have you ever heard of this arcane saying?
@sallypup (29256)
• Moses Lake, Washington
Nope. New one on me. That's cool that Anne can trim your hair do. Ha if I were to attempt such a task. You would be screaming in fright.
• Eugene, Oregon
I do worry about my ears sometimes.
@sallypup (29256)
• Moses Lake, Washington
@JamesHxstatic That and I can't cut a straight line even if you were to put a chocolate cake in front of me for a prize.
• Eugene, Oregon
@sallypup Ohhh, well then, you sound dangerous!
I've heard of 'put it on the slate' and 'on the cuff' sounds vaguely familiar. Have you heard the song about the guy that washes a potential girlfriend's name off the cuff of his shirt? It was sung by Guy Mitchell.
• Eugene, Oregon
No, I don't remember that one, will have to look it up.
@JamesHxstatic You're probably not old enough. I remember once before you weren't old enough.
@db20747 (10304)
• Washington, District Of Columbia
That's what I'm going to tell my aunt, the next time she lends me money?
• Eugene, Oregon
Sure, why not give it a try?
This one is new to me as well.
• Eugene, Oregon
It goes way back, TR.
@kobesbuddy (57355)
• East Tawas, Michigan
Nope, I've never heard this before today. Put it on my tab, that's the one I'm familiar with:)
• Eugene, Oregon
That is a lot more modern.
@moffittjc (46072)
• Gainesville, Florida
I have never heard of this saying; it's a new one to me. Are you saying you were around back before cash registers were invented? lol
• Eugene, Oregon
No, but shortly after,
@moffittjc (46072)
• Gainesville, Florida
@JamesHxstatic Oh, so you're just a youngin' then!
• Eugene, Oregon
@moffittjc At a distance, I am wearing and hat and walking fast, I could be mistaken for one, maybe.
This is the first time I hear this saying, I learnt something new today. I also cut my husband hair, I do since 1999, I think he owes me a lot of money.
• Eugene, Oregon
Well Anna, just put it on the cuff.
@JamesHxstatic This is what I do, I ask for an invitation to a restaurant time by time.
I never heard that before. I thought they put it on a tab.
• Eugene, Oregon
That is a another way to say the same thing. The one I wrote about goes way back.
phrases, sayings, idioms and expressions at The Phrase Finder | Search | Discussion Forum Home| Posted by Rube on April 29, 2004 In Reply to: Off The Cuff posted by ESC on April 28, 2004 "On the cuff apparently arose at the turn of the century. Since barte
@JamesHxstatic Never heard it before. I always learn something new on here every day.
• Eugene, Oregon
@jstory07 Me too Judy.
• Denver, Colorado
Nope, that's a new one on me. I've heard "off the cuff," but not "on."
• Eugene, Oregon
Well, speaking "off the cuff," I don't recall where I first heard "on the cuff," but it was many years ago.
I have never heard of the "on the cuff" ,just know "off the cuff".You do it at home without going to the barber's .
• Eugene, Oregon
Yes and it saves at least $20 a month.
No this is a new one on me. Thanks for sharing. It is interesting. I know another interesting saying. You are living the life of Riley with your won private hairdresser.
• Eugene, Oregon
Yes, of course with my lack of hair it is not too big a job.
Nope that is a new one for me. I cut hair too, Tony`s, I did my dad`s and I have done my sisters, I trim my own in front. I have always cut hair, even my barbie dolls hair,
• Eugene, Oregon
Anne is quite experienced as well, even cuts the back of her hair very well.
@JamesHxstatic I have never heard of that before. It is very interesting and thank you James for explaining it to us. I love the picture in the post.
Never heard it, but it's nice.