Picture Postcards and their Publishers.

@millie02 (6908)
United Kingdom
I have often thought about taking up postcard collecting as a hobby. I did start collecting postcards as a child when people always sent postcards when they went on holiday. They would do this to let their friends and family know that they had arrived safely and they were having a nice time. This was at a time when mobile phones had not been invented , and not everybody had a phone at home. This book is of great interest to me because it has lots of pictures and information about postcards that were produced from 1894-1939. It also gives information on the firms that published these postcards.
I collected postcards for many years from my childhood up to my student days. Although I stopped doing that a long time ago, I always kept them. Last year I sent them all to the South African member Inlemay who's a collector.
@millie02 (6908)
That was kind of you to give your collection away. How many were in the collection and what sort of postcards were they ?
@millie02 I don't remember the exact number. There were hundreds, many in black and white. They show cityscapes and landscapes from several European countries.
@millie02 (6908)
@MALUSE Do you think that there could have been some rare ones in the collection, or perhaps some of them had historical interest? I know that the ones I collected as a child were ordinary mass produced tourist postcards from the 1970s. This does bring back some happy memories for me though, whenever I went to the seaside , I would spend ages looking at funny postcards outside the souvenier shops. Some of those cards were very funny and really made me laugh.
@aureliah (14119)
I also have a few postcards from Zanzibar though not many
@millie02 (6908)
Where do you keep your collection?
@aureliah (14119)
@millie02 I have them somewhere in m house
@millie02 (6908)
@aureliah Do you put things in a safe place and then forget where you put them? I know that I do.
@yugocean (8071)
I used to collect postcards and stamps, but not now; I stopped long back and all my collection is gone.
@millie02 (6908)
Did you have many in your collection? Would you ever start collecting again?
@yugocean (8071)
@millie02 I only have now some old rare comics in my collection, some of comics are still missing; maybe I do not collect more.
@millie02 (6908)
@yugocean What sort of comics are they, and are the rare ones worth a lot of money?
@RodrickH (6182)
I collected stamps when I was a kid, I like postcards too
@millie02 (6908)
Do you know what happened to your collection?
@RodrickH (6182)
@millie02 I sold them, collecting stamps is very popular in my country when I was a kid, since I grew up and it's not popular now so I sold them
@millie02 (6908)
@RodrickH Stamp collecting was popular when I was a child back in the 1960s. I think children are too busy on computer games these days to be interested in collecting stamps etc.
@Asylum (48282)
• Manchester, England
Several artists made a good living drawing cartoons for the old British seaside postcards.
@millie02 (6908)
That is true, it would have been big business in those days. I think many postcard collectors would keep the artist in mind when buying old postcards for their collection. Some are better known than others.
@Asylum (48282)
• Manchester, England
@millie02 Yes, some are quite famous and sought after.
@millie02 (6908)
@Asylum These are the sort of postcards to look out for especially if you want to sell them on and make money from them.
Although not a collector, I have gone to postcard shows here.
@millie02 (6908)
I have never been to a postcard show. Perhaps I should start going to them and learn a bit more on the subject. Did you buy anything at the shows?
@millie02 No, I don't collect postcards so did not buy any.
@millie02 (6908)
@JohnRoberts It is still nice to have a look around these shows even though you don't buy anything.
This sounds a very interesting book indeed.
@millie02 (6908)
It is, and I did not even buy it on purpose because it was in a big box of books that I brought at auction last year.
I used to have a small collection when I was young but gave it away.
@millie02 (6908)
I used to keep mine in a scrapbook, but I do not know what happened to it.