The power of words.

Summerville, Georgia
When writing one must keep in mind the power words have and use this to ones advantage when telling a story. Words show emotion. Words used can help describe a character or event or location better than a picture because words harness the reader's emotions and preconceptions. Did a character laugh, giggle, cackle, cough nervously, fake laugh? All these could be used to show the scene and the character in it differently so word choice is critical. Most of the time the original draft word choice is perfect but sometimes during content editing a word just doesn't convey what you really meant. Or sometimes a word just isn't enough. Example when I was in high school I discovered the word miasma and just had to use it in stories. I mean every bad event or awkward moment hung in the air like a miasma. The problem was it really is not a very useful word because one person's idea of a miasma can be extremely different than an other's. This is where word choices need to be evaluated and the time old rule of writing show don't tell. Example: The heat was a miasma of misery slowing Robert to a near crawl through the jungle. or John pauses to wipe the sweat from his brow to no avail. All he succeeded in doing was moving the dirt and grime of the jungle around so that the mosquitos and other pests had new ground to explore. Each step through the jungle was like a sauna minus the fluffy towels and fancy drinks. John's clothes were no longer just worn but soaked to his body like a second, uncomfortable skin. Each step drained more of his energy... Yes there are more words and in school writing essays we were taught less words is better but we are not writing an essay we are writing a movie with words. No matter what words you use in the end they need to convey what your story demands not what word of the day you try to fit in.
@m_audrey6788 (16945)
Very well said I`m trying to study on how I express myself in order not to offend others but whatever I do there will always be "something wrong"
• Summerville, Georgia
With modern texting the offend someone issue has become unavoidable. Quick notes are usually easily misconstrued so word choice there is also important. Also culture and regions can take a word differently. Try ordering sweat tea in New York versus North Carolina. But if as much diligence is given to the words around each other together then at least you can feel comfortable in knowing you tired.
@JAWwriting Yes so true Thanks for clearing that to me
@1hopefulman (33524)
I see what you mean and you did a fine job of showing us the power of words.
@sugartoes (43179)
• Greencastle, Indiana
I get what your saying, when I write I try to make it as right & decent & understanding as I can & I may not be the BEST writer but with what I write it makes a little money.
@ramapo17 (25798)
• Melbourne, Florida
You are right @sugartoes, we are all not proper writers and we have so many different cultures here. I just appreciate the people that write back and forth with me.
@sugartoes (43179)
• Greencastle, Indiana
@ramapo17 the main thing I try to do is keep things interesting & to keep everyone on top of what's going on with the news & stuff.
@ramapo17 (25798)
• Melbourne, Florida
@sugartoes You are one of the first people I wrote to and read many of your posts. You are a very interesting person.
Thus we need to decide when "more is better" or "less is more". Your example is very good and illustrates your premise well. I liked it. I appreciate the idea of writing a movie with words.
@ramapo17 (25798)
• Melbourne, Florida
You are right saying if less is more or vice versa. Everyone has their own ideas on that and that is why sometimes we see very long posts.
True. I hope I can write one story and able to publish it. God bless!
• Dallas, Texas
@dodoazo (21584)
Not all of us here have the skill or the ability to pick the appropriate words to use. Unless they are a creative writer, they need to know the various words to make their write-up alive and talking.
@mydanods (6747)
• Nigeria
I respect words and believe that my words have unknown effects. So, I use them carefully. I always proofread my sentences.
@KnehKnah (3491)
Absolutely true! Thank you for this article from you. I am now more inspired to write! * * * * * Sir, I am not a writer (in its true meaning), but I like putting into words what I feel & how I feel given a moment. It's how I express myself. And, I am glad when my dearest critic, my husband, tells me he liked what I wrote. Well, it's love from him (for me) I suppose! I love this life!
• Summerville, Georgia
My goal is not to convince people to get published but to write for themselves. I am glad you have this joy.
@KnehKnah (3491)
@JAWwriting Thanks again, Sir! Although I already have an article published in a Fil-German Magazine. A friend of mine happened to read what I wrote in my Facebook page. She asked me to send her a copy of that. She said she'll publish it in her magazine. I had double thoughts in sending her that write-up because I did it only for my FB page. I didn't think it was worth a read from a real source. Anyway, the 2nd time she asked me (sort of convinced me), I sent her a copy. Then, I forgot about it. But, last December, I received a copy of the magazine. Know what, Sir? My story is there! ?
@KnehKnah congrats! i'm happy for you!
@miketagz (8729)
I'll keep practicing words to make a clear sentence. Thanks for tip. :-)
Hey! I remember you... heheheh it's great to see you her again. I just came back from the real world trying to get some rest here.
@miketagz (8729)
@luisadannointed why? Do you travel outside Earth? Hahaha kidding. I wish you meet again here and meet the joker man. lol.
@BloggerDi (966)
Excellent advice! Thanks so much. My freelance writing career is really just getting started. I'm continually learning and growing. Posts like yours are very helpful and encouraging to me!
@Icydoll (25822)
Very nice discussion
@LeaPea2417 (22370)
• Toccoa, Georgia
Yes, I agree.
• Dallas, Texas
I like what you just wrote and can tell you it is spot on.
@MissNikki (2696)
Thanks for the writing ideas .
@pgntwo (22748)
• Tripoli, Lebanon
Food for thought, certainly.
@resukill22 (5647)
all what you say is right.it's really hard how to express our feeling and not the other people are offended
@gnatsmom (1298)
Great article!! This is what I teach my students and try to practice myself. Thanks for the post.
Thanks for sharing
@ramapo17 (25798)
• Melbourne, Florida
You make an excellent point here. Sometimes many words can be substituted with just one words. I think some people think the more words a story has makes it more interesting but that is not always the case.
@WriterAI (5263)
• Bulgaria
Yes, I support.
• Yogyakarta, Indonesia
yapp... you're all right.. i'm agree with you.. one word can have many Meaning.. and people have their own Perception.. that's why it can be happen.. the best way is just give the clear information from the words that we've writen or said