Half a melon,half a pineapple,where is the other half?

Good morning.With all our fruit coming from many nation. How safe is it?I was wondering when you go shopping at the market. Why do you see half a melon,sliced watermelon,half pineapple etc. What happen to the other half.My theory is that some of the fruit get damage and they try to save most.That is why you see halves there. I may be wrong on this.But cutting them in half.The fruit is not fresh. What is your take on this? photo on line. Have a good morning.
Single households may prefer halves because the whole fruit would be too much for one person and they don't want to throw the other half away.
@MALUSE maybe but there is a way to preserved them.
@MALUSE That sounds right. Makes sense to me. Although I can put away a whole cantalope in two nights LOL!!
@Butchcass4 No belly ache afterwards?
I only buy whole fruits, but do know that lots of fruit is left to decay if not perfect looking. What a waste!
@Dianne same here the whole.Yes a lot of food is wasted.
@amadeo And think of all the people who would benefit by fresh fruit!
@DianneN yes your right there Dianne.walking four miles.Your a trooper.
I think they just cut them in half because a whole one can be too much for one household. I never have any trouble choosing a half. You can see the colour etc too.
@JudyEv yes but still want to know what happen to the other half.
@amadeo Both halves will be on the shelf. You can probably match them up yourself if you want to.
@JudyEv thanks but no thanks.Just buy the whole
I am sorry to say but your off to a wonderful start. If you look on youtube and watch the videos you won;t buy them again. Not only that check the bakery videos for the sliced cake and the meat dept for the soon to be expired meat.
@sharon6345 oh!yes.Not sure if I want to see the video.But I understand this.
@amadeo Trust me you don't at all. I have not bought meat out the supermarket in months. I am not saying all are bad but I am pretty sure it's the case with mine. I am now using a butcher and it's much better. thank you.
@Butchcass4 (6015)
I never thought about what you said but it could be true. I always thought; "Well its hard to cut them in half. So I thought it was done out of convenience! I never buy them cut in half. But I'm not always sure how to tell if they are ripe. I heard different theories like they are ripe if you can smell the fruit. Or they are ripe if the one end is soft. Like how do you tell if a cantelope is ripe or pineapple?
@Butchcass4 never had any problem with it.did you know many resturant serve this are not ripe.
@Butchcass4 one tell tale sign of ripeness is that the fruit smells sweet and fresh when you are selecting it. Pineapple, and cantaloupe will have a bit of golden or orange color showing under the skin. Make sure the stem end of the cantaloupe does not have mold.
@GardenGerty I never by the half.Just the whole.No matter how cheap it it.But you make out better with the whole one in the long rrun
@mydanods (6761)
• Nigeria
The sellers in our area cut it as proof that is is mature, ripe and sweet.
@mydanods but they sell the whole one there.
@mydanods (6761)
• Nigeria
@amadeo Yes, they do. The cut one is like proof of concept.
@mydanods I see.Nice to meet you.
I agree.I always prefer to buy the whole fruit.Displayed sliced fruits may not be fresh and the parts that has been cut may be rotten.It's okay to buy half the fruit if you see it getting half in front of you.It goes the same when buying sliced fish.
@kareemadivina I never bought sliced fish.
@amadeo I bought sliced fish in the past but to know that it's fresh I'm always looking for the eyes if it's crystallized,red, or sunken.Now ,I never brought sliced fish again because some people are tricking you into thinking that they are selling it fresh.Some are using red dyes and injecting chemicals to look it fresh.
@Prdhan (602)
People can not buy a water lemon because of unstoppable growth of prices.For which shopkeeper divided her product and try to sell.
@Prdhan not here.The price of fruit is not all that expensive.
You are right! that fruit had a rotten spot on it so instead of losing money, they cut it off and sell half, or make fruit bowls with it. I have friends and family that work the produce.
@andriaperry this is understandable.thank you.
@Icydoll (14862)
I agree .buying half fruits is not good .I prefer to buy whole fruits it's fresh.
@Icydoll same here.And you still save.
They cut it in half so they can lower the price. Many people are trying to save money, and groceries are earning more if they can sell bit of a whole items than selling it in one whole piece,,, it is a bit expensive specially to those who is budgeting their money for different bills at home. God bless.
@luisadannointed That may be true.But the whole thing is much better.You save money by buying the whole this.
I buy half a papaya sometimes for my parrot. A whole one would be too much.
@NJChicaa what happen to the other half(kidding)
When I buy watermelon from a vendor, I prefer when I see the halves rather than the whole. When It is already cut I can tell from the color whether it will taste sweet or bland.
@Kandae11 I see but no me.Do not trust them.
I think you're on to something. I never really paid attention much attention to all that cut up fruit and thought it was more for convenience. Now I'm second guessing it
@Marilynda1225 yes.Beside not that much difference in prices.
I just think that cutting fruit in half is for those who do not need all the fruit a whole piece has.
@Corbin5 maybe.Still like to know where is the other half.
I've never given it any thought other then they are trying to sell smaller portions for those of us who don't need an entire watermelon or whatever the fruit is.
@Muliaacv the markets always have a gimmick.
I just figured the store did it so people could buy only half instead of the whole thing. I always buy the whole thing.
@just4him So do we.These mostly on sale and very cheap
@LeaPea2417 (19858)
• Toccoa, Georgia
I always buy it whole.
@LeaPea2417 same here.
There have been times that I'd buy a cut melon - simply because I don't always find the ripest whole melons - and I don't need that much melon . . . but you can see what looks freshly cut or one that's been sitting there. Otherwise, I do buy fresh whole fruits. Yes, once it's cut, it's the beginning of the end.
@much2say or something.
We do not see half fruits for sale here. You can have cubed fruits if you do not want to buy a whole and cut yourself, but those are expensive.
@LadyDuck I see thank you