My son wants to join myLot

My older child sees me using myLot all the time and asked what it was. I told him about the site and now he wants to join and use it. I haven't quite decided yet if I'll let him join but he has his own Facebook account. I wasn't sure if younger people would be allowed to use it or what a kid would have to talk about with a community of mostly adults, but I checked the site guidelines and faq and it said you can use it if you are 13 years and older. What do you think of non-adults posting and commenting on the site?
@Asylum (48224)
• Manchester, England
I would consider Mylot to be more appropriate than Facebook.
In some ways that is very true.
@saritflor (4121)
• Israel
Yes I agree with you, you can't upload here offensive posts and that is one great thing here comparing to other social networks.
@Asylum (48224)
• Manchester, England
@saritflor Exactly, whereas anything gets posted on Facebook.
@bunnybon7 (37447)
• Holiday, Florida
i have learned my lesson on getting family on here. just hope it works out.
What happened?
@bunnybon7 (37447)
• Holiday, Florida
@LovelyxOdd had a cousin join once and he proceeded to contridict all i said. and even told things about one of my kids i did not want talked about. then .my oldest, grown daughter joined and got mad about some opinions of mine on my posts. then a friend joined and got upset about some things i said about one of her things with the baby that i meant no harm in saying, etc. glad they all quit. don't need that in the one place i can talk freely about things i believe. but it may be fine as long as you and your kid don't disagree on anything. reason i don't post much on FB because of these things with them
@bunnybon7 That is definitely something to look out for. I think I'd be fine with my son joining, he wouldn't be offended or be rude to me. But I was also thinking of telling my mom since I know she could use the money... but I think my mom might have a little too much to say on my posts that might get me upset.
• Russian Federation
Why not, 13 y.o. is not that young. In Facebook, he chats mostly with people whom he knows personally, right... So maybe check his inbox here from time to time to be sure no one does harm to him But I think everyone is good here
Thanks! I will still think about it for a while though.
• Russian Federation
@LovelyxOdd Try to write one post together maybe
@MashaVickina That's a great idea.
@garymarsh6 (14429)
I think there are already some younger members posting. It is fine by me. Hopefully it will help him see how others around the world live and what kind of problems they experience too.
Thanks for your input. I hope he'll like it here. He has still not joined but I have been thinking it over more. Honestly, he wants to join a survey site even more so he can earn his own money lol.
@garymarsh6 (14429)
@LovelyxOdd I don't know what they are like over in the USA but here they are quite rubbish you can be answering questions for five to ten minutes obviously they are obtaining lots of information during that time and just when you think you are about to reach the end they say sorry your responses do not meet the criteria and dump you from the survey! I guess it will be a start for him to get used to this type of experience. Good luck to him at least he is showing willing!
@kaka135 (14115)
I remember when I was busy writing at Bubblews, my eldest son wanted to join too, though he wasn't able to write and read yet. Then I told him to wait until he is older, but Bubblews closed down already. I think mylot is a good place for them to learn and maybe make some friends too.
If he ends up joining, I hope he can make some friends. I worry about him being able to have anything interesting to say lol. He's a kid and most here are adults so I'm unsure about him connecting or contributing. But I'm sure he'd learn in time.
@saritflor (4121)
• Israel
I think that it's ok as long as someone "watching" everything goes fine.
Definitely. If I'm here on MyLot too, I can watch him and make sure everything is okay.
@RodrickH (12628)
My suggestion is let him joining in, but you should tell him he can only mylotting for one hour a day, I believe too any hours on internet is not good for child
Good idea. I don't think he would be on here longer than a few mins a day anyway. He also has homework, chores, he plays video games, and plays with his friends
I think it would be perfect for your son. I am hoping the nasty judgmental ones would let him use the site as he sees fit. That would make it more enjoyable for him. I have to say let him join.
Yeah I suppose there are some judgemental people here, as are anywhere though haha. But I really appreciate your support. He is definitely chatty enough in real life, but I don't know how it would translate into a forum style setting lol.
Let him join and see if he likes it. At least it's free and not a big deal if he doesn't like it. He might enjoy interacting with all of us
@Shiva49 (13999)
I think he will learn and we also get a fresh perspective from a younger person. Of course he needs to find the time - siva