Doctors should keep better records

Subtitled : Standard Mass Mail Outs can be insensitive. Some of you may remember me telling you that my grandmother passed away at the beginning of last month. We received a letter a few days ago, dated the 29th of January, that was addressed to her. It told her that a doctor who had put a pacemaker in her was now leaving the practice. Well that doctor isn't any use to her now, and hadn't been for a month before receiving the letter. While the doctor isn't her primary care physician, I would have thought their office would have been alerted of her passing. Especially as her death was relating to her heart. We disregarded the letter of course, but I still felt it was somewhat insensitive and could have been avoided had the doctor kept better records.
@cintol (7580)
Thats unforgivable, they should have known and made notes that she had passed.
@cintol (7580)
No your not wrong, some one dropped the ball and if she had passed then there should have been some kind of note in the system telling them so. So many offices are no longer on the same page anymore, and no one reads notes or adds them in thinking of what harm it may bring a family in these matters. I'm sorry you had to go through that.
@cintol I know we could have contacted the office and let our feelings be known. My grandfather has a very commanding presence, and people listen whether they want to or not. I have inherited some of that myself (when need be) and so the two of us to be reckoned with? But neither of us chose to do anything about it. I am sure we could do it in a kinder way, as a suggestion to the whole medical group.
@cintol (7580)
Yes, I understand. Maybe you could send them a card and let them know and tell them to please make all the necessary changes so that all who read her charts will know so as to not upset the family again.
@RodrickH (11963)
I agree, better record Doctor are more qualified
I don't think their record keeping is what makes them qualified as a doctor. It's not the doctor keeping the records, but the receptionist staff..
@RodrickH (11963)
@ScribbledAdNauseum I agree, what I mean is they are more likely qualified if they keep better records
• San Jose, California
@RodrickH That means they're better qualified as a secretary or office manager. It has absolutely no reflection on their qualifications to practice medicine.
I know exactly how you feel. I got calls and letters like that too and it just ruined the day.
Our mail comes late here, so atleast the day was almost over..
Doctors do not know automatically when their patients die. It is up to their families to let them know.
Her General Practitioner did know because he had to sign off on whether she needed to have an autopsy or not.
@LadyDuck They are in the same medical group. Different specialities but same network. Oh well, it's over and done with now. I just hope we don't get any more letters like this.
@ScribbledAdNauseum I hope too. I agree that there should be a better communication.
Not nice, but unfortunately not unheard of. If it was just a standard letter sent to all his patients it was probably just an oversight. Definitely not nice for you though. :(
Oh I know it was an oversight for sure, and definitely not nice. I guess I assumed they would have been alerted of her passing, or that her passing would have been noted in the system.