Living with Pigs!

It doesn't matter where you live, your home and grounds need upkeep. That is, unless you want to live like a pig! We are attending a residents' meeting tonight. Our board is in the process of making decisions. Most residents, including my husband, brother, and me, are all for painting the interior, redoing flooring in the common areas, sprucing up our lobbies, installing new lighting, repaving the parking lots, and seeing completion of new fencing. Many of the improvements will come out of funds we have. Others will require an assessment to be paid in installments. The problem is that there are cheapo residents living in both buildings here. They don't want to part with a penny. To many, this is our second home. We want the same upkeep that we do to our main homes. I certainly don't want to live like a pig! Would you?
I can’t afford much as far as remodeling but I see to it that my house is always clean. I like my yard to look good as well. If I lived in an area like you are I think everyone should be required to pay a certain amount each to have the pavement and everything kept up.
I agree and they will. Majority rules!!!
I would go for the necessary updates. Not pleasant to live in a building that needs quite a bit of updating.
Glad you think like me!
I'd be all for any improvements . . . don't those residents want to keep the place looking really nice? Things should be maintained, but if it's left too long, it's just a bigger project and could end up costing more. I hope those guys can be convinced to be agreeable to this!
My husband and some of his cohorts are well prepared. I just have to plan on what to wear.
@much2say . Thank you!
@DianneN How did it go? I hope it went in your favor!
It seems as long as the ones living with their own filth don't get 'fined excessively' for it, they continue being untidy neighbors--- I get that a lot around here when the dumpster that just so happens to sit across from my dining room window is constantly being made full of 'stuff' that spills over and technically SHOULD not be publicly thrown away or for me to see it. This argument to my HOA has fell on so many deaf ears I find it worthless these days to care BUT I do my part as my trash is tidied and deposited inside not around the canister. as far as improving the lawn appearance or streets, well give me the tools and I would . . .
I must admit that almost every single person takes care to be neat, and the grounds are well taken care of. It's the parking lot that needs to be tarred, no thanks to the hot sun baking it and hurricanes flooding it, but the inside looks shabby and dated, too. No can live that way!!! A group of us offered to pay for everything that needs doing, but the board poo- pooed it.
@DianneN board gains control as long as THEIR money funds it and that was nice of you to offer, sorry they poo poooed on it !
@enlightenedpsych2 They will assess every unit now.
I always like a clean house and of course, surroundings. And in addition, a clean and well-kept neighborhood. That is why I do it myself going house to house and talked with our neighbors when the typhoon damaged some of the lightings in the neighborhood. I asked for their contributions which were equally divided. I hired an electrician and bought all the necessary things until the lightings were again nice in our neighborhood. But just like you, there was one wife who says why she should give when some light didn't affect her part of the neighborhood.
My point exactly! Good for you. Things are starting to change around here due to the good people like you!
@DianneN Thank you for saying that.
That sounds frustrating. Does everyone have to agree for the deicison to be made?
Yes, they do. If they don't pay the assessment, they get tossed out through foreclosure. Buh bye!
@DianneN what is a foreclosure?
@Marty1 They lose their home and it becomes the property of our association to sell.
@sjvg1976 (18401)
Our home is not much spacious but we always try to renovate it timely.
That's my point. We care for our homes. This building is also our home.
@sallypup (29427)
• Moses Lake, Washington
It would be hard to live communally like that. I couldn't do it. A long, long time ago I decided that no matter what or where I lived, if folks didn't like my manner of living, then bye bye folks. Anyway, I wish you all well as you wrangle this out.
It's just our vacation home, but it's our home, too. We had a wonderful meeting.
@sallypup (29427)
• Moses Lake, Washington
@DianneN God to hear. An aunt of mine, a very rich lady, once expressed her horror and disgust that somebody had had the gaul to dry their swim things out on their lanai. She found it the height of gauche, those draped towels. She didn't like clothes lines, either.
@sallypup We are not allowed to dry our "things" on the lanai either. Our town back home has an ordinance against clotheslines. Your aunt and I will have a good laugh together!
maybe they feel its not necessary and theyre saving
Ha! It's necessary!
@DianneN yeah but they just dont care
@Strawberry18 Some for sure.
@MarymargII (10723)
• Toronto, Ontario
Wouldn't upkeep be covered by the condo fees you already pay? Seems sensible.
Yes, most everything is. However, this is a huge and costly project, and there is not enough money in the till to cover it all. Hence, an assessment for one and all. One and more don't like that. Tough!
@MarymargII (10723)
• Toronto, Ontario
@DianneN True perhaps to get around it they should put it to a committee vote or whatever- majority rules! Just hope the majority go for it!
@MarymargII As it turns out, we already had a majority vote last year, but the new board has forgotten all about that! Jerks!
Can they afford to pay for the remodeling?
Of course they can! Lol! They are just cheap.
@DianneN Well, I suppose they would have to be moneyed people to be living there in the first place.
@Kandae11 They probably got their money from being squeaky cheap.
@ridingbet (60860)
i wouldn't, for sure. i hope others will do their responsibilities as well.
All they have to do is cough up money.
@DianneN how did the meeting go? I can't see not wanting it done as it is not like they have to do all the phsycial work themselves. As you said they just have to come up with the money, how hard can that be?
@Marty1 The meeting went well. Everything will be discussed at our board meeting next week
@Plethos (11759)
Do they have the financial means to? Are they on a fixed income? Most of these thingx are budgeted in from the rent collected. Everyone has a vote on the matter, but the funding has to be sorted. Fund raisers can help.
Thanks for your input. I'm positive almost all have the financial means. We all pay a condo fee according to square footage and there is money in the reserves. However, rather than making this a piecemeal process, everything must be done as soon as possible. The assessment will be fair and spread out. I think quarterly should be fair for everyone.
@Plethos (11759)
@DianneN - is it in the living agreement/rental contract (?) on which repairs one is responsible for? Usually most are responsible fkr those in the home, but those others outside repairs/ upkeep are to be done by the housinv authority from the funds pooled in from rents or other. Better go over the agreements individually.
@Plethos Everyone is responsible for their own unit inside and pay a monthly common fee for general upkeep and maintenance. Yes, there is an escrow account for any money left over from the common fees. However, there is not enough for completing all the work that needs doing, hence the assessment. Five years ago, they were assessed for new roofs on each of the two buildings. Several of us were willing to pay for the work out of our own pockets, but the board wouldn't allow it.
Nope.I do understand there.We have a few here and they are pigs and slop.They should be proud of their homes there. That is their big investment.Good luck there
It's amazing to see how some people are content to live. Pigs!
@DianneN i see this every day.So sad
If buildings aren't maintained and upkept (is that a word? ) they can quickly deteriorate so a certain amount of sprucing is very necessary.
The buildings are very well maintained, but the inside is in desperate need of updating. Trust me.
I don't blame you for wanting to see improvements. Some people just do not care and want to live how things are and do not like change.,
Thanks! I agree!
@DianneN It is sad that there are those that do not want to see improvements and cause trouble for those that do and you are welcome Dianne.
@Hannihar The painting has begun!!!!
The only place in my house that would make anyone think that I live like a pig, is my cupboard
Shame on you! We have a junk drawer.
@DianneN I just do not why I will not keep things in the right place.
@allknowing You're a pig!
• Northampton, England
is that your back garden?
No, but this is.
• Northampton, England
@DianneN Florida?
@YrNemo (14768)
This post of yours reminds me strongly of my resolution in decluttering my place. I am getting there bit by bit .
So that's what you've been up to!
@YrNemo (14768)
@DianneN I had the front garden to weed too. At least I managed to organize to have the lawns done a few days ago. Those weeds are incredible, they keep popping up!
@YrNemo Oh, weeds are impossible!!!! We have our lawn at home treated, and it helps a lot.
This year I am painting my interior, I have been here for 7 years and its due. however, I did paint a couple rooms 2 year ago and I will skip those and move onto the others. If possible I will replace my living room carpet later in the year. I believe in keeping my surroundings clean and replace stuff that is worn out.
Things are clean here, but everything in the common areas need to be replaced.
@andriaperry Shabby, wear and tear