Dealing With A Sweet Tooth .

Google image.
Fourteen years ago I gave up many of my favorite foods and snacks - well not completely - I will still treat myself on special occasions. The last time I had chocolates was in December last year - and with Valentine's Day just around the corner, I plan to indulge a bit with a few pieces. It won't be easy, but after Valentine, my next taste will probably be in the summer or Christmas. Is there a favorite, drink , food or snack that you can easily give up?
Dark chocolate does have health benefits, so a little bit of that is OK, but I would go overboard. I love red licorice, but way too much sugar. I look at it longingly on the store shelf, and I then leave it be. Very hard to do.
@Icydoll (4605)
It's hard to do :(.but no other option...I reduced taking sweets ..
I just love homemade fudge, but I haven't tasted that in years. My mother and sister made it when we all lived together.
@Daelii (3447)
I do indulge in dark chocolate covered almond! Its a quick fix on days I really crave something sweet!
@1hopefulman (22659)
If something tastes awful, I can easily give it up. If it tastes good like chocolates and chips, I have to fight the desire.
I know, but I feel a great sense of achievement when I win the battle.
@buenavida (7796)
• Sweden
@db20747 (2986)
• Washington, District Of Columbia
What a terrible fight it is!!!
Surprisingly, with this diet I'm on, I've given up sweets without any trouble.
That's great. I only think about them on occasions - like Christmas, birthdays and of course - Valentine's Day.
@Kandae11 I have been very happy the last few days that I don't have any sweets in the house. Otherwise this diet would have been history.
I suppose there is but it isn't chocolate! Well done for being so strong-willed.
Thank you.
@Icydoll (4605)
I can easily give up any junk foods...I rarely have..I reduced taking sweets too..I can easily give up any sweet things..
I no longer have a craving for junk foods.
@Icydoll (4605)
@Kandae11 that's best my dear friend.
I eat things in moderation so I don't have to give up anything yet. I like soda but weeks can go by in between.
Some years ago when I was weaning myself off of sodas - an 8oz bottle lasted me a week. Of course it tasted flat after being opened for a while.
I mostly gave up those foods that were so delicious but obviously wreaking havoc a few years longer than you have but I have NOT given up on the superior dark chocolate with infusions of either peppermint oil or sea salt and honestly my arteries are loving me for it so that is probably the ONLY thing (besides mom as present great company to spend that holiday with) about V-day I take to heart
I would take the semi-sweet brand of chocolate. I wish I had started healthy eating much longer than fourteen years. I haven't had a cold or caught a bug in thirteen years.
@Kandae11 heck it took me the first 25 yrs of dumbness eating all wrong foods, doing all wrong exercises etc-- to finally these last 16 years to finally be MORE healthy and closer to perfection than I have ever been, but it is a daily practice needing to be balanced all the time
@enlightenedpsych2 Two weeks ago I started having raw food only - mostly vegetables and fruits - for five days each week. I plan for it to be a lifelong diet - just hoping it won't make my weight much lower.
@Plethos (8122)
I gave up sodas about 10 years ago.
Awesome! I am trying to get my son to do the same, but he won't listen. He is hooked on Mountain Dew.
@Plethos You mean Mountain Dew or sodas on a whole?.
@Plethos (8122)
@Kandae11 - mountain dew itself. If i remeber correctly it was a communitty in the appalachian mountain that had their kids drink it like water since birth. Teeth and gums were a mess in their childhood/teens.
@sallypup (24518)
• Moses Lake, Washington
I'm a sugar addict. Once I get started, I continue on and on. I plan to make gingerbread heart cookies for Valentine's Day and I might buy a couple of little chocolates from the bulk section but that's it.
I don't think I have ever tasted gingerbread cookies I'll look up the recipe. I usually bake oatmeal, raisin cookies.
@sallypup (24518)
• Moses Lake, Washington
@Kandae11 If it were Christmas these cookies would be gingerbread men/women. Its V Day so I'll make them in heart shapes. I use fresh ground whole wheat flour. We like spicy cookies.
@sallypup Gingerbread man and heart shaped.
I couldn't last that long! Lol! Actually, I'm not a big sweet eater, but do eat everything in moderation. I love good food.
Moderation is good - over indulgence - never good.
@Kandae11 My problem is that I have a bottomless pit and can eat more than my husband.
@DianneN Well, if it doesn't show ......
Like I mentioned this before .I have one piece of dark chocolate every day.Yes one
Dark chocolate is healthy in many ways - and it is good that you have control and can stick to one piece, because there is still the sugar aspect of it. There are some brands that are semi-sweet.
@Kandae11 you will always have the sugar there.No doubt
@Kandae11 Yes so far I have been good.One piece a day
@Daelii (3447)
I gave up sugar for lent one year. At first it was really hard. When lent was over, I realized I didn't like it and just stopped using it. Occasionally I use spenda for real bitter coffee when out... But overall nope, dont use it.
I gave up meat easily - but sugar is much harder for me . However, I know it isn't healthy, that's why I have made drastic cuts. I sweeten my tea with stevia .,
@Daelii (3447)
@Kandae11 sugar might actually be better than substitute.... Some studies are showing artificial sugars might be blocking certain brain activities for happiness, etc.
@Daelii Yes, I checked them all out . Stevia is a plant and the health experts say it is the best of the lot.
@AKRao24 (6336)
Why at first place you want to quit something which you like most ? If for medical reasons then it is Ok! If you are quitting then you are punishing your self! Just enjoy the life as it is one of the precious form in which we are living in this World there are many kinds of living beings! Enjoy the life purposefully and have satisfaction dear @Kandae! Thanks!
Too much sweet isn't healthy - and I cannot enjoy life if I become ill.For me, special occasions are just fine.
@AKRao24 (6336)
Then it is Ok dear friend @Kandae11 ! In India there are people who have sweets on regular basis in considerable amount without getting themselves ill or sick! May be their bodies must have got adapted to that!
@AKRao24 Certain foods won't have the same effect on everyone. I had a friend who ate as much sweets and pastries as she wanted without gaining an ounce - of course I have no idea what it did to her health, but she looked rather healthy.
I cannot give up chocolate, but I only eat a little piece of dark chocolate in the evening, after dinner, while I watch the TV.
That's okay - you don't go overboard.
@Kandae11 I only prepare cakes for special occasions, like tomorrow.
• Preston, England
@Kandae11 I'm bad at giving anything up really - glad I never started smoking
I am glad you didn't. I find it easier when it is understood that there will be occasions when one can indulge - not completely given up . Of course, over the years I have lost interest in some that I have given up - like chicken meat - and I was never a fan of red meat.
• Preston, England
@Kandae11 I like red meat but not something I crave
@YrNemo (9320)
I don't go for snacks usually, but every now and then, I would munch on a carrot, some peanuts or perhaps some potato chips.
Okay to snack on carrots and unsalted peanuts.
@YrNemo (9320)
I don't put sugar anymore in my coffee for breakfast, since the dermatologist told me to avoid sweets because of the fungal infection in 4 of my toenails. I also avoid sweets already. Good thing, I am not fond of sweets although, I sometimes would crave for Cadbury chocolate with roasted almond or ice cream or halo-halo. I give in to my craving when it happens because it happens only sometimes like once a month only.
I am not fond of sweets either - but chocolates I do like. However I have that well under control - and I cannot drink unsweetened coffee, therefore I use the recommended plant derived sweetener - Stevia in my coffee and some teas.
@Kandae11 Are you diabetic. My father is so he would always put green stevia powder in her coffee if he likes it a bit sweet.
I could easily give up candy and chocolate candy and anything that is chocolate flavored. I am not that big a fan of it. But if I am truthful I do not eat much sugar., I could easily go a period of time without it. I have gone a week or so without it or longer with no problem
I have had sugar free weeks as well too. And I have resorted to using Stevia in my coffee or tea.
@Kandae11 I don't use stevia as I do not drink either coffee or tea. I had a sample of an artificial sweetener, but i noticed my sister looking at it and gave it to her as she needed it more as she is diabetic. She seemed happy I gave it to her!
@buenavida (7796)
• Sweden
One can train the taste buds to like less sugar.. It helps to remember that cancer cells love sugar, especially the white one..
I know -- that is why the health experts recommend that women should consume not more than six teaspoons a day. I use stevia instead.
@buenavida (7796)
• Sweden
@Courage7 (1290)
Not really. I am not giving anything up entirely. I do have less of things but not totally gone. I just had a nice chocolate biscuit. I admire your will to quit the chocolate.
It is hard , but not so hard when I know that I can have it on those special occasions.
@Courage7 (1290)
@Kandae11 Yes if you can look forward to something.