My "Plastic" Monday

@Raelove (16819)
Saco, Maine
This started out to be a rant till I opened a new box of plastic storage bags and realized that something was not quite right with them. Allow me to explain. Earlier today, I went to one of my favorite grocery stores. I brought two of my reusable shopping bags like I always do and bought just what I knew would fit into them. When I got to the checkout, I politely asked the bagger to fill them right to the top and that I didn't care how heavy they were, as I try to use as few plastic bags as possible. He said he would, but about halfway into it, I noticed he put one of my bags into the cart only half full. So I realized he hadn't gotten the message. When he started to open a plastic bag, I stopped him and said again, "I don't want any plastic." Guess he hadn't heard me the first time. So he said "Well, I don't know what else to do," and plopped my few remaining items on top of what was already in the second bag. I looked at him and said, "Well, that's what I asked you to do," and he started to mumble some other objection, but I walked away. When I got home, I was still a bit upset about it till I went to open the box of baggies and realized that none of them would open. I started pulling others out of the box and stood there thinking, "Well, there, Rachel. That's what you get for chewing out that poor grocery bagger. You get a box of plastic bags that won't open!" And I had a really good laugh about it, and I'm still chuckling about it as I write. I won't bother returning the bags to the store, as they only cost a dollar. I'll just use them to wrap foods in instead, so they won't be wasted. I've had lots of different types of Mondays, some good some bad. But this one takes the cake, or should I say "the plastic bag?" (Public Domain Image)
I am glad you could laugh about it.
@Raelove (16819)
• Saco, Maine
Ya, lol...it hit me right away how that was cosmic payback for having complained about that bagger.
@dragon54u (31605)
That's a good story that brought a smile to my face! You and I are alike in that we re-purpose things rather than throw them away or waste time and gas taking them back. Grocery store baggers just don't get it. I place my items on the moving belt in a certain order so they will all reach the bagger in a group. You would think that he would then put all items of a kind in one or two bags, right? Wrong. They mix frozens with cans and paper goods and mix everything up. Luckily, I found Winco, a grocery with really low prices and shoppers bag their own groceries. Now my items are bagged just as I want them to be! I am going to have to start taking my cloth bags to the store with me, I keep forgetting!
@Raelove (16819)
• Saco, Maine
I do that, too! In my case, I place all the larger heavier items on the belt first, as those should be the first that go into the bags. Nope. Some baggers bypass all those and start filling the bags with the ligher items. Clueless. Another thing they should know better than to do is, too, is to put ALL the heavy things in the same bag. They should be spaced out among however many bags you have, again starting with the heaviest items on the bottom. Did I mention clueless?
@1creekgirl (10164)
That was funny. Glad you could repurpose the bags.
@Raelove (16819)
• Saco, Maine
I repurpose just about everything I buy. I hate this throw-away society we live in now.
Good to laugh about such things. I guess the guy was trying then wasn't he?
@Raelove (16819)
• Saco, Maine
Not very hard. If he'd been trying, he would have honored my request instead of following his own judgment. It wasn't a big deal, but rudeness to customers is.
@Raelove .......Seems to have done just that.
@Raelove (16819)
• Saco, Maine
@celticeagle It's not the good old days anymore.
That is odd that none of those plastic bags would open, but so glad you got a laugh from possible payback for taking the grocery bagger to task.
@Raelove (16819)
• Saco, Maine
I did. I don't normally see the humor in something like this, but this time I did! lol
How weird that your plastic bags won't open. At least you got a good laugh today
@Raelove (16819)
• Saco, Maine
I know. They're all fused on all 4 sides. It's like the machine that spit them out thought it was making plastic wrap instead of bags!
Instant karma? It's hard to judge sometimes how many bags we need but at the front of the store are 'boomerang' bags - cloth bags which you can borrow and return at another time. They come in useful sometimes.
@Raelove (16819)
• Saco, Maine
Now that's a nice idea. I doubt it would fly here, though, in the super paranoid society we have where everything could be contaminated by someone else. I can't wait till more stores start banning the plastic. It'll be fun to see how other people improvise!
• Pamplona, Spain
They are stopping plastic bag use here soon yet they are still offering them to us all the time. I have a few that I use over and over till they break up altogether then I recycle them in the special bin they have. Good job you have a sense of humour too.
@Raelove (16819)
• Saco, Maine
I do the same thing here with plastic bags, and I'll be glad when they get rid of them everywhere here.
• Pamplona, Spain
@Raelove It will take time so time to have patience as I suppose its not going to be so easy as they thought. They said here they were going to do away with them right away and many months down the line here we have them still on the counters.
@Raelove (16819)
• Saco, Maine
@lovinangelsinstead21 One of the reasons for that is that lots of stores buy hundreds of thousands of bags and takes awhile to get rid of them. In Maine, it's left to each town to vote them out. So far, a couple have down this way, but more need to do it, too. Then, they give the stores time...say 6 months...to get rid of them and find something else to replace them. Here, it's brown paper bags now, and one store even has the fancy ones with handles, which are totally reusable.
@KristenH (23672)
• Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
That's a good thing. Sorry to hear about those bags. I prefer a mix of paper and plastic. But I normally get plastic over paper.
@Raelove (16819)
• Saco, Maine
Plastic is being banned in more and more places, so it's just a matter of time before we won't have the choice anymore. I'd rather bring my own anyway.
@KristenH (23672)
• Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
@Raelove Oh wow! Same here. When I go to Aldi's, my brother and I bring our own Aldi's bags.
@Raelove (16819)
• Saco, Maine
@KristenH That's the wave of the future. Plastic bags really do have to go.
@bagarad (11776)
• Paso Robles, California
Maybe there was a good reason those plastic bags were only a dollar. Glad you could laugh about it.
@Raelove (16819)
• Saco, Maine
I buy them all the time, and this is the first time it's ever happened. Must have been duds! Guess there's not much quality control going on there that day! LOL
@bagarad (11776)
• Paso Robles, California
@Raelove I guess not. Or maybe it was deliberate. It's easier to see a product off cheaply than to return a defective shipment to the manufacturer. Most customers won't bother returning such a cheap product unless they are returning the store again soon anyway.
@Raelove (16819)
• Saco, Maine
@bagarad True. And here, two discount stores sell those same bags: Dollar Tree and Family Dollar. And I don't keep receipts for stuff like that, so it wouldn't be worth haggling for a dollar. I've been finding other uses for those plastic "sheets," though, so they won't be wasted.
It was good to be able to see it that way.
@Raelove (16819)
• Saco, Maine
Wasn't worth fretting over, not for just a dollar!
It seems the manufacturer should know about those defective bags. Today, I left my bag in the car. The cashier asked if I needed a bag. I said no. She looked at me and asked if I had a bag. I said yes, in the car. I sai that I would get it there somehow. She laughed as I stacked up my purchases and stuffed things in my purse.??
@Raelove (16819)
• Saco, Maine
Those plastic storage bags are very cheap, so there's really no point in worrying about it. They cost just $1, and I can use them in other ways. I just won't buy those again. I will stuff small items in my purse, too. Why waste a bag if you don't need it?
i always keep plastic bags since paper has been used by most shops here
@Raelove (16819)
• Saco, Maine
I don't like plastic, as it is bad for the environment.
It's funny bag.