Manners.

Our house.
Roseburg, Oregon
What ever happened to children having manners. Have you noticed that they just run right into you and never say excuse me. The parents never say anything either. It really does seem like the children have no manners because the parents do not have any either. That is why I taught all of my children, grandchildren and great grandchildren manners. And they better use there manners when they are with me. The picture is mine taken by me.
@WorDazza (9034)
• Manchester, England
I think the major problem, certainly here in the UK, is that many of the parents are still little more than children themselves.
Some parents are worse than their children.
@WorDazza (9034)
• Manchester, England
@LadyDuck Too many parents try to be best friends with their children and consequently behave in a manner not really fitting with their role as a parent.
@WorDazza Parents must not be "friends", they are educators.
@AKRao24 (5876)
I agree charity begins at home...mother is the first teacher of a child and she is most responsible person in making a child's future by incorporating all the best qualities in him! I appreciate your views and your deeds too dear @ jstory07 ! Thanks!
You have to also show your kids manners and respect for them to pick it up from you.
• Bogota, Colombia
Completely agree, it isn't kids fault, it is parents fault, sometimes they don't have any rules in their own homes and kids have the control over the parents, unbeliever. Parents have to have authority over their children and control their behavior.
@AKRao24 (5876)
That is the only way of teaching them dear @jstory07 ! We need to become role models infront of them! Thanks!
When parents have no manners at all, they cannot teach manners to their children and it seems that school is teaching nothing about manners in our days.
@mydanods You are right, but in my opinion manners matter.
@mydanods (2276)
• Nigeria
@LadyDuck Also in my opinion manners do matter. It's a sign of good upbringing.
@mydanods This is what I think, you immediately notice those who have good manners.
yes a lot of bad children here also and of course whoelse taught them to be like that? no one but the fool parents, whom house is that? from the bad family?
Than the bad parents will act shocked when their kids do something wrong.
@jstory07 nothing shocking theyre just ignorant people, yes they act like they cant believe their child will do that makes you more annoyed
I find it more and more that people never learned what please, thank you, and excuse me mean. When I go on my scooter and let someone through very rarely do they thank you and if in a mood I will say you are welcome and sometimes they will say thank you or not answer at all. They will take up the whole sidewalk and I cannot get bye. I will have to say something or go slowly behind them.
When you do say thank you for them they give you a dirty look.
@jstory07 They ignore me or once in awhile someone will thank me and it threw me off guard. I was not expecting it Judy.
A lot of parents don't seem to teach their children manners anymore.
• Bogota, Colombia
yes, it is like they don't care about the behavior of their children,
That is so very true.
@vandana7 (58836)
It would be shocking for them to see others with none...your grand children and great grandchildren would be shocked I mean. Each generation has their way of living...otherwise they get ridiculed.
The grandchildren are still good. Who knows with the great grandchildren.
@vandana7 (58836)
@jstory07 But sometimes I feel that we may actually be hurting them by making them remain in that good manners set. Most people are not...so they will possibly get hooted at.
And it's getting worse. It would be nice to see a return of good manners.
It would be nice.
I think people with good manners go much further than those who can't be bothered to say their pleases and thank yous. I've noticed this with children too. And as you say often the parents don't have any manners either.
Which is sad when the parents do not teach their parents manners.
@nanette64 (15551)
• Fairfield, Texas
Oh it is definitely a huge problem @jstory07 . I won't tolerate it from either a child or an adult.
When I worked retail people thought you had to put up with it.
@nanette64 (15551)
• Fairfield, Texas
@jstory07 Yup and that is what has increased the problem.
@nanette64 It sure does increase the problem.
• Trinidad And Tobago
As a Teacher, on parents day, many parents ask the teacher to teach manners to their children. They don't understand that children first learning environment is the home. Many would ask what the Government paying teachers for? Not to teach their children?
You can try but the job of teaching manners shold start at a early age from the parents.
• Bogota, Colombia
Agree, they canĀ“t wait until someone else teaches their children something they have to learn in their home, manners are parents work.
• Trinidad And Tobago
@dentistnd Exactly. Parents are the first teachers. Our schools are clearly understood as 'academic educators'. Ethical and moral education rest solely upon parents. Off course schools do teach an element of morality but it is more intrinsic education and was not supposed to replace the duty of parents to build moral fiber in young children who will one day grow up to be responsible adults and parents in turn.
@Mshafeeq (1525)
• Bangalore, India
Yes manners now a days is nothing it's parents and teachers duty too to teach childrens good manners.
The manners should teach children manners from when they are real young.
@Mshafeeq (1525)
• Bangalore, India
@jstory07 agree
@cintol (1990)
I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that most parents are so busy on their cell phones and tablets anymore that they don't take the time to spend with the kids anymore. They are all so wrapped up in what they are doing, they have gotten lazy on teaching and noticing what the kids are doing. Just what I have noticed when I am out and what I see.
That is so true. Parents get on their cell phones and forget about their children.
@cintol (1990)
Sometimes I wish technology wouldn't have gone so far, kids have no imaginations anymore either because they are always on XBox, their phones, tablets, anything where a parent can plop them down and not have to deal with them. Sad world its getting to be, no wonder so many kids are so disrespectful these days, no rules.
@moffittjc (38159)
• Gainesville, Florida
Trust me, I have taught my children manners. And I must have done a decent job, because even they will comment about the lack of manners in other kids their age.
Yes you have done a good job.
@moffittjc (38159)
• Gainesville, Florida
@jstory07 There's still hope in the world for our younger generation! haha
Some still do my friend.
Not like they used to.
@jstory07 I disagree.
@ridingbet (40026)
that may be an effect of the latest technology and social media.
It sure is. Some people do not care what they say on social media.
I agree! It's all what they learn at home.
They should learn manners at home. Many do not because the parents are rude.
@UncleJoe (9185)
• Virginia Beach, Virginia
I'm afraid manners flew out the window when when it became against the law to discipline our children.
That is so true.
I say excuse me and I hold the doors open for people, I say yes maam and no sir. I teach them to have manner too
That is what I do and will never quit. It is just the right thing to do.
@Daelii (3361)
General cutesy and kindness is not something people exemplify in daily life nor their kids. :( Mine tend to just be real quiet and wait for people to move. I keep telling them its okay to say hi to people and ask to get through!
Manners seem to be gone.