How do you use peels of vegetables and fruits?

@Icydoll (24740)
Think twice before throwing away the peels of fruits and vegetables.Nothing is a waste in this world .Some people use peels of fruits and vegetables in pickles like bottle gourd ,raw mango peel.here are some other uses of peels: Potato peel: contains high vitamin c used by keeping on eyes for relaxation. Banana peel :Many use them for white teeth,as they contain high potassium, Magnesium, manganese Orange peel,lemon: these peels with awesome aroma can be used as room fresheners by boiling them in hot water .orange peels dried used in face packs too. Onion peel: these peels acts as fertilizer for plants ,as they contain sulphur. There are so many to use.how do you use peels?.Do you use any friends..share if you do .
• Uzbekistan
This is all very well, but not if the fruit was sprayed with poisonous stuff while still hanging on the tree or bush.
Just a quick question, can one by chance wash off the poisonous sprays and use it safely? Just wondering even though i am not planning on using any peels in the future.
• Uzbekistan
@Marty1 I don't think that works. If water could clean the peels, rain would wash off the stuff and it would be useless.
@MALUSE I never thought if that. I guess if rain washed it off we would not read in woman's magazines that I read with some saying that just need washing off and some had one needs to wash with a mild soap. I have read that in the past.
@kakah87 (403)
• Semarang, Indonesia
Orange peel useful to repel mosquitoes too...
@Icydoll (24740)
@kakah87 thank you my dear friend for sharing this .
@kakah87 (403)
• Semarang, Indonesia
@Icydoll your welcome my friend.
I grate the lemon rind and sprinkle it on salads. I also slice cucumber without removing the skin.
@Icydoll (24740)
That's nice my friend.yeah they use grated lemon on cakes.orange peels are also used for different flavours.its good to eat cucumber :)
@Teekaaa (5851)
Banana peel is used for treating skin tags!
@miketagz (7489)
Try this song and make skin heal in the tune of Price Tag.. I'm gonna ouchy ouchy ouchy My wound is still ouchy ouchy ouchy You just wanna make my wound heals Forgot about the skin tag
@Teekaaa (5851)
@miketagz I don't have it He he he
@miketagz (7489)
As a young child my mom hung orange peels to fragrant the home. After reading this I might find ways to use mine. Like boiling the orange. But I won't keep anything else around here.
What is the use for boiling oranges? I mean what would you do with the oranges after you boil them?
@Icydoll (24740)
@Marty1 if we boil the orange peels our house is filled with orange fragrance.its also better to put it in refrigerator so that the peels absorb bad smells in refrigerator.
@Icydoll (24740)
@sharon6345 that's nice of your mom dear.
@Mshafeeq (1553)
• Bangalore, India
i use banana peel for teeth and onion i never tired.
@Icydoll (24740)
Yeah banana peel works well.onion works well for rose plants
@RodrickH (12635)
I do throw them away, I heard some people even cook them
@Icydoll (24740)
@RodrickH yeah they cook them .glad you don't throw them :)
@Daelii (5941)
I don't... I usually toss for wild life / garden!
@Icydoll (24740)
That's nice of you
@prashu228 (25503)
I know only about orange peels but never use it..
@Icydoll (24740)
@prashu228 yeah some don't like the smell of it.you can opt for lemons.
I use the peels of organic oranges to make a liquor and also the zests for the cakes. Banana and potato peels are good as fertilizer.
@Icydoll (24740)
@LadyDuck that's nice my friend Anna.yeah so many use grated orange in cake.even they use egg shells as fertilizer for plants.
@Icydoll Egg shells are a good fertilizer.
@Icydoll (24740)
@LadyDuck yeah Anna ,glad you aware of its uses .thank you for sharing friend :)
@miketagz (7489)
I will recommend if skins are fresh and not using any chemical stuff like pesticide. Now adays, need to remove them for safety purposes.
@Icydoll (24740)
Yeah you are right.we should use salt,vinegar mixture to wash them . it's best
@miketagz (7489)
If I am peeling potatoes I bake them in the oven for awhile with some seasoning. Absolutely delicious.
@Icydoll (24740)
That's nice.hope you are having nice time here.
@wanghui (124)
I throw themes away straightly,because washing and using they are both awful things to me
@Icydoll (24740)
That's okay.may be you are worried about chemicals on peels.
same here no skins or peels.
@arunima25 (8664)
• Bangalore, India
MY peels go for compost for my garden. But there are some peels that I used in my recipes like I make chutney with my banana peel, my lauki peel ( ridge gourd) makes yummy chutney or dry sauted vegetable.
@Icydoll (24740)
Yeah some are good for making chutney.
@arunima25 (8664)
• Bangalore, India
@Icydoll Have you tried them or tasted them?
@Icydoll (24740)
@arunima25 yeah I have tried
A couple of the citrus rinds like a lemon, lime or even orange can be used in baking to add the 'zest' of flavor it would call for as an added delicious ingredient; however as healing aids due to the various medicinal properties found in any of the vegetable or fruit peels is quite remarkable. Thanks for sharing and oh by the way: potato skin is especially great for withdrawing spider venom from bites . . .
@Icydoll (24740)
I don't know about potato for spider venom bites.thats nice and thanks for you too :).
@Icydoll it does work to remove the toxin when applied almost immediately upon getting bit, but who has a slice of potato peel in their pocket when walking around the woods or even city streets, right ?
@Icydoll (24740)
@enlightenedpsych2 yeah you are right.if we do keep we look like a crazy haha.Anyhow keep sharing any benefits you know my friend .
• Preston, England
orange and apple peel I just eat
@Icydoll (24740)
@arthurchappell In which foods do you use them ?
• Preston, England
@Icydoll straight off the fruit itself
@Icydoll (24740)
@arthurchappell fruit itself..how about the oils present on orange and lemon?.they have bitter taste right.?
yes i smell the peeled skin of orange if i dont feel well like if youre nauseous
@Icydoll (24740)
Yeah you are right ..we can get rid off vomiting sensation by smelling the lemon and orange..
@Icydoll exactly
• Trinidad And Tobago
I recently saw a cookshow on TV where the chef was sharing ways to use peels and other odd and ends in your refrigerator. It was quite a novel experience. I think I might try potato peel as fries. I use the potato with the jackets, cucumbers and off course edible fruits with the skin . although I was warned to 'peel' apples because the were waxed for sale.
@Icydoll (24740)
@Gita17112016 that's nice friend.yeah I also heard about the wax on apple's.but I can't stay away I like them to eat with skin .it's better to wash fruits with salt,vinegar mixture.
• Trinidad And Tobago
@Icydoll Oh, I didn't know that. I usually wash fruits with ordinary tap water.
I put the orange peels in the refrigerator because I read somewhere that they act as deodorizer. The other peels I throw into the compost.
@Icydoll (24740)
Yes, it works well as deodoriser