Looked At A Nursing Home

Yesterday I took a tour of a nursing home. It is supposed to be one of the best in our area. It is 25 miles from my home and has a long waiting list. If it is the best....I don't want to see the worst. It looked so run down and unappealing. I'm not sure what I was expecting, but there is no way that I am putting my mama or daddy there. The staff seemed nice , but I think that they were understaffed. It was just such a depressing place. I'll look at some more, but we'd rather keep them home if we can. I know some of you have loved ones in a nursing home. How'd you find the right one ?
• Peoria, Arizona
We have very nice nursing home communities around here, but then some are so awful. It is very sad, I hope you find the best place for them.
Thanks, hopefully we find a nice one.
@Tampa_girl7 There are also companies, that pay people to care for elderly, so that they can stay in their homes. The government pays the workers. Check out Mdrs, in Forest
@popciclecold do you know what Mdrs stands for ?
nursing home is tough to find a good one.Not sure how to find the right one.
I've never done this before. Hopefully we get them situated better at home or find a good place.
@Tampa_girl7 this not an easy task to do.Real tough.Good luck
The hospital sent my husband to the one he's in. I felt the same way. Brought him back home, but it got where I couldn't care for him, I had no choice. Both legs amputated, plus dialysis three times a week. He has everything he needs right there.
We are looking at the one in your area next.
@Tampa_girl7 it's under new management, they are making a lot of new changes. It looks better.
@popciclecold that's good to hear.
@Angela150 (948)
• London, England
When I was in school, almost 20 years ago, I did my work experience in a geriatrics hospital. I made tea and coffee and chatted with the elderly. It was really nice to hear the old stories about Britain and how life used to be in the war times.
I would have enjoyed those chats.
Usually the doctor office put them in the nursing homes. The best one I have ever seen is in Albertville, Alabama. Its nice and has plenty of staff. Tony has an extremely handicap niece there, she has lived there most of her life. You can keep them at home if you have 24/7 caregiver, alarms on the doors and locks on stuff they should not be able to get into. Remember when they get so bad, they are like babies and everything is a danger to them. All nursing homes smell like poop and urine, that is just how it is and cannot be hlped.
I used to agree with your last sentence. But my Dad spent the last couple of months of his life in a beautiful facility that did not smell and provided exemplary care. Good places do exist. Too bad, they seem to be few and far between.
@Platespinner Tony`s sister was in one after she was in a fire, an lost her mind too, Tony had her moved and I turned them into the state.
@Platespinner (19305)
My family had to go through the same thing with my Dad last year. He ended up in an interim facility that was horrible (even though it was the best choice of the three interim facilities available) for a couple of weeks but, in the end, he spent the last few months of his life in a beautiful facility with a superlative staff. There are good places out there. Praying you find a place where you can feel confident that your parents are getting the care they need in a pleasant environment.
I hope that such a place exists here. We live in such a rural area.
Hope you can find a place where you are comfortable with you mom and dad being there. I was so lucky that I found a really nice one when my mom required more care than I could give her. Best wishes Marie. it's a tough road.
@alandi (137)
Whatever happens, I will never enter my parents into a nursing home because our parents have been caring, raising, and educating us so that we can live independently and happily. What do you think?
• Portland, Connecticut
17h
The one near my home is a lovely place. We visited three before deciding it was the one. It is light, bright and clean and there are activities for those who are up to it. You will need to look for one that specializes in memory care which is important. You don't want your parents wondering off. The one I chose is not depressing and most of all it smells good and the meals are appealing.
• Eugene, Oregon
Too bad the place was so depressing. I hope you can keep them in their home for a long time.
@shshiju (9796)
• Cochin, India
Parents need the love and presence and service of their sons and daughters in old age. But in modern age there is no time for everybody. If you protect your parents there will be the true blessings .
@nitirrbb7 (1959)
We have our mom of whom me and my brother take care off specially my elder brother, nursing home would be the last we could ever think off.
I am sorry that the best one was not the right one. I hope I can live outside of one the rest of my life.
Is it expensive to be at a nursing home? How much more or less would one pay if their mother or father is put in a nursing home? Are the old people being taken cared well there?
It's not easy to find good ones and sometimes it's a lot better to hire someone to stay in their own home with them instead. Have you called your parents insurance companies to see if they can give you ideas on what to do?
• Marion, Kansas
First of all, ALL nursing homes are understaffed, always. They go with minimum staffing required by state law. That being said, do not just look at the paint, carpet, etc. Go at a time when it is not a shift change, and SMELL. Right before shift change, when all residents are (supposedly) being changed or taken to the bathroom and the trash is being bagged the smell will be bad. Fact of life. However, halfway into the shift, not right before a meal, you should not smell bad body odors. Ask about activity programs, community interaction, etc. Ask about their rankings on "state survey" which is done annually.They should have a copy you can read at your leisure, in the facility. How many deficiencies, and what kind of? Ask about daily schedules or routines. Good luck. I cannot remember, but there are sites where you can look up nursing homes and check their history.
I worked at one and I would never want to wind up in one but sometimes there is no other alternative. It was extremely understaffed! See if you can get them both at home health until they are completely bed ridden then get them in a nursing home. That is if their insurance will cover someone being with them in the home 24-7 for home health care.
Been through that. It's hard to find a good one. I hope that you can find a nice one.
yes my mother in law but she only been there for like 2months then she passes away
I would follow your instincts on this one, if you didn't like it, then move on. Otherwise if there is a fall or anything like that, you won't be able to live with yourself.