This time last year...

By JJ
Olney, Illinois
...it was beginning to look 'Springy' outside. I had several crocus blooming in the front yard. This year, there's nothing out there but dead grass. The crocus haven't even considered showing themselves. Dammit. But the geese are flying north and the skunks are out. Maybe soon...
@spiderdust (3339)
• San Jose, California
I think our local weather is having an identity crisis... one day it's cold and grey, and the next it's hot and bright. I've come to expect strange weather with all the microclimates around here, but it's really hard to know how warmly to dress my kids each day. My lawn is also getting too long because the grass is still too wet to mow, but it's also been growing like crazy.
Has it been raining up there? We are lacking that rain down here in L.A. They said we were going to have rain the earlier part of this week - but I think those dark clouds passed us by - it is sunny as it has been (just a bit colder though).
• San Jose, California
@much2say It hasn't been raining a lot, but the dew on the grass doesn't dry on the cool days. We haven't had as much rain this winter as we need.
@spiderdust Ah, I see. We get dew, but it's rare that we actually have too cool days. It's sunny and dry - the grass doesn't stay wet too long. Last winter we had those rains, but this year it's back to not much again. It probably rains up there more than it does down here.
@FourWalls (11367)
I see a patch of green on the lawn, though....like you dropped a couple of green M&Ms on the grass. Supposed to be near 70 here later this week. Then we can enjoy the roller coaster ride (tornadoes and snow storms in the same day) that is the midwest.
• Olney, Illinois
Yeah, but this photo is a year ago today...right now I don't have nuthin' out front
@Plethos (7627)
But did the skunk see its shadow? 6 more weeks of winter?
Patience Scar. The time for hunting will come.
I have seen two crocuses, very little and pale, last year I had plenty.
• Olney, Illinois
Dad told me yesterday he had two in his and Carilyn's yard
@JolietJake I have seen one more this morning, they are all the same color, purple. I wonder where are the pink, yellow and white ones.
We still have snow. Lots of snow. Wednesday and Thursday will melt some of it. Then, cold again. I did stick a red ball on top of that thing this afternoon. Ice-cream-sundae look to it.
• Olney, Illinois
We've somehow managed to escape any large amounts of snow this year, I think we may have received 2 inches once
@sallypup (24372)
• Moses Lake, Washington
We've had Spring all winter and now that we are on the edge of real Spring, the nights are cooling to the 20s. Weirdness. I hope the trees and shrubs survive the joke.
• Olney, Illinois
I hadn't really thought about my crocus yet, but this showed up on facebook from 1 year ago today
@lovebuglena (4256)
• Staten Island, New York
Did Scar tell the skunks to go back where they came from? I don't see any in this picture.
@shshiju (9796)
• Cochin, India
I never heard about crocus. I searched on internet , it is very colorful and beautiful one.
@kobesbuddy (27898)
• East Tawas, Michigan
We had a mama skunk move into a culvert across the street, with a litter of youngens! This was at our old house. Our yard today looks like the North Pole
It's like my daddy always said, "It's colder than a well digger's hiney."
I'll keep my fingers crossed fer ya'll up yonder. It's really nice and kinda warm, well, cold for me but I figure upper 30s to low 40s at night is a whole lot better n what you guys are getting stuck with.
I'm sure spring is on its way. Has it ever completely passed you by?
All the plants and animals are confused this time of year. Afraid they will catch the flu maybe.
@vandana7 (58836)
Hang in there bro...before long spring will say hello.
• Riga, Latvia
I know that on this side of the world we won't see any real signs of spring until at least April.
Last year we had that marvelous rain . . . this year we're back to zip. It's like there are no seasons anymore, not that Southern CA really had "true" seasons to begin with . . . it's just spring or summer here with teasers of winter here and there.
My crocuses, hyacinths, and daffodils are starting to peek out of the ground. It’s late for them though.