Messing with People - and Liking It (Evil Grin)

I'm getting older for sure, but I must be getting wiser too . Most of my life I have tried to be "proper" . . . to always show my best manners and be mindful of others. I was careful to not be an annoyance, though the world around me didn't seem to have this same way of thinking. Today, I didn't care. This morning I stepped onto the other side . . . I was purposely annoying . I went to the store and spotted this "friend" I hadn't seen in a long time. She is a talker - and not exactly a kind one. I have been stopped by her many times in various places and have gotten stuck with her. I tried to pretend I didn't see her, but of course she waved her package of tomatoes in the air with a HI HI HI dance til she got my attention - she made sure I didn't miss her . Oh, but this time she was quite brief and was in a hurry. As soon as she said, "Well happy Valentine's Day, see you . . .", I asked her a question about her kids. We had a conversation about that. Then she said "Have a good Valentine's Day . . . " waving those tomatoes again, trying to walk away, and then I asked her a question about our mutual friend. Then we had another conversation about that. I could tell she was trying to inch away - she had to leave but I just would not let her go . While cracking up inside, I was wondering how long I could actually keep this up . . . today she got stuck with ME . Geez, I should have learned to be annoying a long time ago ! Are you a believer in giving people a taste of their own medicine at times?
@topffer (36137)
• Hamburg, Germany
Next time you meet her, do not complain if she serves you the same menu, but prepare a counterattack. Maybe you should put a yo-yo in your bag and take it when she starts to speak : up, down, up, down, up...
Perhaps I should bring an extra yo-yo too . . . too much action may make the string break . It might be faster to just smack her with the yo-yo and say it was an accident .
@topffer (36137)
• Hamburg, Germany
@much2say A yo-yo can be a dangerous weapon. A tennis ball can be also a good tool to add in the bag to plan an escape if the yo-yo does not work. You throw the ball far away and run after it.
@topffer You don't think I should throw the tennis ball at the talker? I'm sure a tennis ball can be a dangerous weapon too . At least a tennis ball bounces. I wonder if I have a bag big enough to carry a bowling ball .
Yes, most definitely. That is awesome. Too bad she probably doesn't even realize the irony.
Seriously, she probably didn't. Oblivious as always! I hope I made her late to wherever she needed to get to .
@much2say - That would be poetic justice for sure.
@inertia4 (27713)
What's good for the goose is good for the gander. LOL. That is a good one. I know what you mean and I know how you feel. Some people just cannot stop talking. That annoys me so much. And also people that don't pay attention. My girlfriends sister is a lot like that. She will talk and talk and talk. To the point I want to either kill myself or run away. LOL.
Hey, haven't seen you in a long time @inertia4 ! In the past, I have always been the fool to sit there and listen . . . but these days I don't have the time or energy to do that anymore. I don't know how people can keep gabbing on and not realize the other person is bored out of their mind. I get stopped like this often, especially if I go to grocery stores, so it's about time I started scaring others away .
@inertia4 (27713)
@much2say Hey Now!!! Long time no see. How are you doing. I know what you mean. I like to be peaceful these days. Although I do like some excitement once in awhile.
@inertia4 Peacefulness is always good. I am all for excitement - but only the good kind of excitement . . . I can do without the negative ones . So glad to see you back !
Haven't had to do it too often. If people have really annoyed me I have told them so.
I really wish I could be more forward to tell people that straight out - but I am not that brave!
@vandana7 (67760)
I agree. Some people really push it to the point that we have little choice but to tell them. Whoever wants to hurt others. But when they push it, they leave us no choice.
There was a young adult disabled woman at an agency I worked for. She loved to ask nosey and inappropriate questions. Many people who were not disabled excused it with the thought of "She does not know better. She is mentally handicapped." NOT TRUE. I did not work with her directly, but each time she singled me out for her questions I IMMEDIATELY began asking her questions. She left quickly.
Oh my gosh - that probably would have been my first assumption too - that she did not know better . . . but I guess she took advantage of her circumstance ! There's no foolin' you . . . you got her!
So funny. How naughty are you? What you need to do now is deliberately run into her again and bore the pants off her with YOUR stories. Eventually she might get the message and start trying to avoid you.
I somehow stumble upon this woman every now and then . . . oh how I would love for her to avoid me from now on (she is the one who finds me first and calls me out all the time). Yes, I should bore her with some stories as interesting as cleaning up lint .
are ya taking bets on whether or not she'll be in such a hurry to get your attention next time?
This is typical "her" . . . so I don't know that she really got what I did. I just got a laugh out of it because it felt like I at least made her squirm for that moment. That felt GOOD .
Oh, I'm willing to bet she doesn't think she does that but I'll bet she'll avoid you from now on cuz you did that @much2say she'll never see herself as you do.
@rebelann I wouldn't mind if she avoids me - she is one of those people you really don't need in life (kinda like a housefly ).
Oh I always do try to get back at those who try to annoy me. I believe I have always been evil. Good to know, you're out of your shell.
Ah, so you have a bit of evil inside you too . I'm usually not one to speak out - and in a sense I still didn't here - but it was a nice way to not make someone's day .
@much2say Not a bit of evil. I have a lot of evil in me!
• Northampton, England
Happy Valentines Day\1
@YrNemo (14719)
Now I am curious if she would dare do so to you the next time you meet.
I hope she will have learned from this experience and never approach me ever again .
@YrNemo (14719)
@much2say Noway that she would avoid you next time. My bet is, you have to do so (being the aggressive partner) for at least three consecutive times, in order for her to remember.
@YrNemo I am normally not an aggressive conversationalist, so this will be a big task for me! I will have to think of more truly annoying questions to ask . . . I'll have to dig in to my meaner side .
Hahaha you gave her a taste of her own medicine! Good one! I'd like that to do that too!
I seriously never do this - but I'm glad I did - it's sometimes been a painful process to have a conversation with her in the past!
@much2say Now she gets an idea of what she does
@infatuatedbby I hope she does!
@MarymargII (10569)
• Toronto, Ontario
Haha! Well good for you- I may have done that too if I thought about it- good and it may work even further in your favour-----She may go Oh No I better not stop to talk to this woman as she never lets me go! haha! P.S. It's easier to not be as nice when you get older.
For some reason I could think about a "tactic" this time . . . I'm glad I did it, but I don't know that she actually "got it". If she avoids me from now on, she will actually be doing ME a favor . I noticed that . . . as we get older, it does seem like we don't have time to put up with nonsense anymore . . . but gosh it took me this long to figure that out!!!
@MarymargII (10569)
• Toronto, Ontario
@much2say True you will be happy if she doesn't seek you out and so you freed yourself in a way!
@MarymargII The freedom is much appreciated !
I think I will try this. I have a very annoying ex brother-in-law and I run into this person every few months. They do nothing but talk about themselves constantly. I just feel so down in the dumps after seeing this person.
Ohhhh, I hate talking with people who are me me me. Well, "they" are the only ones talking and they expect you to listen the whole time. I don't like it either . . . and with this woman I have had enough . . . I'm glad it worked this particular time!
@Srbageldog (8242)
That is hilarious. I should try doing that sometime.
I should have tried sooner !
People usually can't stand it if you serve them the same dish.
The thing is I don't know if this woman was too oblivious and didn't "get it". Hopefully next time she will be smart to avoid me .
Sweet revenge, I did this in the past with a neighbor. She is more careful now when I say "I am in a hurry".
Ah, so it does work ! I often think of "revenges" but never take action . . . I'm glad I was able to go forth on this one !
@much2say Those kind of people can be so annoying when you really are in a hurry and they never stop talking.
@LadyDuck Exactly - and this woman is usually that annoying person . It's amazing how some people are just not at all self aware!
Good for you! That took guts, but I'm glad you gave her a taste of her own medicine. Unfortunately, she's probably too clueless to get the point.. If I were you, I'd start planning something for your next encounter as an escape.
I just don't know why I am found like this . . . it seems like anywhere I run to do errands, someone I know finds me and wants to chat. I can't take it anymore. But doing it this way might be diplomatic - it will be their idea that "they" need to leave . But you're right - she probably did not "get it" . . . maybe I need to find disguises .
@much2say . Is this the one you mentioned before?
@DianneN Nope, this is a completely different person. Maybe I just know too many people . This woman just keeps saying stuff and I can tell she doesn't really listen when I'm talking . . . she nods and says "good, oh good" and then continues on with her stories. She once told another mutual friend to her face "Oh, you said you are a vegan, so how come you are so fat!" . . . but I know it's a cultural thing - but that's a foot in your mouth in English!!
But you were not unkind. You just asked questions. In what way would she be unkind to you?
You're right - I was not unkind . . . but I did make her stay at the store longer than she probably intended . Every time I happened to see her previously (store, library, wherever), she has always stopped me to talk in length . . . which is fine, but it seems like she doesn't really listen to what I have to say. She nods and says generic oh, good, ok (everything is ok to her) . . . but then she goes back into her own stories. She had the nerve to ask our vegan friend why she was so fat if she was actually a vegan . I don't color my hair - but she told me I needed to do something with my hair "because it was time". I guess she is insensitive about the way she says things - but well, English is not her first language.
@much2say You did not pay her with the same coin as you said you were not unkind. Next time do that.and get paid (lol)
@allknowing Ohhh, well I'm glad you think that would be fair ! Should I tell her she's looking quite fat? Or should I make fun of her hair?
• Pamplona, Spain
I would like to have the chance with one person but that won´t come about as he avoids me like the plague because he knows he has done wrong. So sadly for me I don´t get the chance to get my own back a bit. Maybe, just maybe I might get a chance sometime or another. I should have learned to be like that also.
The good thing is, if he has done you wrong, then it is good he is away because then he can never do you wrong again. There are certain people/incidents from my past that I wish I could have handled better - but I have realized some things are just better left and kept in the past.
• Pamplona, Spain
@much2say Good thing that he is not living here yes and he did do me wrong and not only to me. He cannot do me any more harm that is true and I am very thankful for that and he will not ever get the chance again.
@lovinangelsinstead21 Oh gosh - I don't know the circumstances, but thank goodness is not there and hopefully he stays away.
Hope that lady learned her lesson by you doing to her what she does to you
I hope so, but I wonder what the chances are . . . people like this never learn !
@much2say true but at least you had fun messing with her
@Marilynda1225 I sure did !
@cintol (7874)
Yes, sometimes people need to see what it feels like in order to make them stop. When you see her next you should do the "HI HI HI dance" Lol
Or maybe the BYE BYE BYE dance . Oh gosh that was totally obnoxious of her . . . any more flapping of her arms and she would have been flying!!
@cintol (7874)
Hahaha, I bet she will think twice before flagging you down next time.
@cintol I sure hope so . . . but maybe next time she'll have more time to talk !