A family heirloom rejuvenated!

@Fleura (7194)
United Kingdom
My Mum inherited a large amount of furniture from her parents, who died before I was born. When my Dad’s Mum died, my Dad also inherited some family things, but the house was already full so he didn’t have space for it all inside. He obviously didn’t want to part with certain things though, so he put them in the shed. Only after my Mum died did I find he had kept this old chair, which he remembered being in the hall of his grandmother’s house. My Dad was born in 1920 so the chair must be over 100 years old and probably more. By now it was in a pretty bad state but I didn’t like to throw it out because of its history, so I’ve had it re-upholstered. The cost of the work was a lot more than the price of a new chair, even a reasonably expensive one, and anyway I’m not short of chairs either, but I like to be able to tell the girls that this belonged to their grandfather’s grandmother. So far they are very pleased with it and have pronounced it very comfortable! All rights reserved. © Text and image copyright Fleur 2018.
Wow - who did the reupholstery? It's nice that you did keep it and restore it - it's very special to your family. We have a modern dining set - the chairs definitely need to be reupholstered but the cost to do it wouldn't justify it. In fact we were thinking to do it ourselves - but the materials alone would be somewhat expensive too.
@Fleura (7194)
A local business did it. They were a bit snooty but they seem to have done a nice job. I opted for the traditional horsehair version in the hope it will last another 100 years; foam would need to be replaced after 10 years or so which soon flies by! I did think of doing it myself. I have done another chair which my Dad made, but that just had a seat pad which dropped into the frame so much simpler, whereas this one needed webbing and springs as well.
@Fleura They really did do a nice job. We have the foam and frame thing with our chairs and could do it ourselves easily (hopefully), but yah, webbing and springs I'd have no idea how to handle. Enjoy your wonderful "new" old chair!
@Fleura That's the thing - taking the time to actually do it. We have 6 chairs that need to be done. But the good thing with your chair is it was done properly and it looks really nice - should last a long time!
This chair is Victorian there.Most of the up upholstery were normally velvet.Very nice there.
@Fleura (7194)
Yes I think you're right, although of course 'Victorian' does cover a 60-year period! The original upholstery was rather strange stuff, thicker than normal velvet and almost like carpet!
@Fleura yes and that is about right.Heavy velvet.Did you by any chance check this online to give you an idea/
@Fleura (7194)
@amadeo An idea of what - the age? Or of what to do with it?
@nela13 (7710)
• Portugal
It looks pretty nice now I love doing reupholstery myself and I have been recovering some old furniture, my last one was an old mirror that now is in my daughter's bedroom.
@Fleura (7194)
It is nice to be able to give new life to old stuff!
@nela13 (7710)
• Portugal
@Fleura Yes, it is. Now I am recovering an old wonder chest
@Fleura (7194)
@nela13 You'll have to show us the result. What is a wonder chest?
It looks very nice now. There is a similar chair in the apartment of my mom, I think it is from the grandmother of my father. Now I feel bad getting rid of it, but after all I have no children, I am not sure I want to keep the chair.
@Fleura (7194)
I didn't mean to make you feel bad : ( Some people like to keep old things and to others they are just clutter, and as you say, you have to have the space. And thinking that I might pass it on to my girls also makes it more worthwhile to keep it.
@Fleura You have a purpose, to pass it to your girls. I asked to my niece if she wants the chair, she says it's "too old" for her apartment. If she is not interested, I think that it's better to give it to someone who can appreciate.
@Fleura (7194)
@LadyDuck Very true, I'm sure someone else will also appreciate it.
@Plethos (10309)
the re-upholstery brought that chair back to life !
@Fleura (7194)
Yes, you wouldn't be afraid to sit on it now, would you?
@Plethos (10309)
@Fleura - yes i would be. on something that is antique aged.
@Fleura (7194)
@Plethos I think you'd be significantly less likely to fall through the seat now!
Yes, people do not like to part with memories. You or whoever did the chair did a good job fixing it up. You can tell the difference.
@Fleura (7194)
Yes it's quite different now!
@Fleura I bet it is Fleur.
@1creekgirl (11303)
The chair is really lovely and it's so wonderful to have the family history.
@Fleura (7194)
Thank you! Yes I like to have some tangible links to my ancestors!
@1creekgirl (11303)
@Fleura I agree, I love having something that belonged to someone in the family.
@Courage7 (11641)
Did you do the reupholstering yourself? This is so lovely and to be treasured.
@Fleura (7194)
I had it done by a local business. They were a bit snooty but they seem to have done a nice job. I chose traditional horsehair upholstery in the hope it will last another 100 years, rather than having to be replaced after 10 years or so like foam - 10 years soon flies by! I did think of doing it myself. I have done another chair made by my Dad, but that just had a seat pad which dropped into the frame, whereas this one needed webbing and springs as well.
@Courage7 (11641)
@Fleura They did do a lovely job tho even if snooty I hope they didnt charge you too much, but it is worth it as you say to get it properly done.
Very pretty and I am a big believer in preserving family heirlooms not matter what the cost.
@Fleura (7194)
Luckily my girls like old things with stories attached otherwise there wouldn't be so much point bothering.
Me and my mum have a thing for old chairs! They are so wonderful when they're brought back to life.
@Fleura (7194)
You'd like it here then : )
It's a really lovely chair. It is nice to keep an heirloom or two if you are able.
@Fleura (7194)
Thank you. Yes it is, and I am lucky in that I have space to keep it.
It looks lovely! So glad you have it in your home. I have some chairs of my mother's too.
@Fleura (7194)
Thank you! I like to have those tangible links to the past too!
I think it is wonderful when you can renew things that bring memories.
@Fleura (7194)
Thank you. Luckily my girls like old things with history (at the moment anyway).