The Housekeepers Tale

@millie02 (6908)
United Kingdom
This book was written by Tessa Boase in 2014. It is a non fiction books telling true life tales of the women who were housekeepers in large country houses in the 19th century. The chapters are about individual house keepers from several different country houses. Tessa gets her information from diaries and letters that were found in these houses, many of which have been demolished since. I think this is a great book because it takes us back in history to a lifestyle that is almost non existant nowadays.
im curious of that book as well,, is it a bit scary?
@millie02 (6908)
Not scary as such, but I would imagine that living in a big house would have had its scary moments.
@millie02 i suppose she works with a high wage and luxurious living there despite of scary moments but i think many housekeepers there in a castle
@millie02 (6908)
@Strawberry18 I expect she did live in luxury compared to most of the other servants at the time. But she would have had to work hard to get to being a housekeeper.
Another great book review and a book I will add to books I want to read
@millie02 (6908)
Thanks. Do you have a long list of books that you want to read?
@millie02 I had a list once that was long, but i seem to have misplaced it, But i am starting it again and going to keep them all in a nice folder, so I never lose the names again. I have been reading reviews of books on and off at the Goodreads website. Then i go to the Amazon website. How do you choose to put books on a to read list?
@millie02 (6908)
@Marty1 I do not have a list myself, I just see what is for sale in charity shops and car boot sales.
That is an interesting topic to discuss. So, what did you think of the book?
@millie02 (6908)
I think it was a very interesting book. I enjoy reading books on social history about real people. Some of the things that the people used to do are very entertaining to read about.
@millie02 I am glad you found the book interesting Carolyn.
The book ventures into Downton Abbey territory.
@millie02 (6908)
Yes, very much that sort of thing.