In Her Memory

Today our family would have celebrated our daughter's 26th birthday. Today is a day full of memories for both my husband as well as myself, and a day full of what-if's for our son, who was only 17 months older then his baby sister. Our daughter was born with a congenital heart disease. It is reported that 1 in every 100 births sees a child born with congenital heart disease. February is Heart & Stroke Month here in Canada. In her memory, I am bringing in this basket of apples to work today. It is to plant a seed of thought for hearty healthy living. And if people decide to cut back or quit their smoking, take up exercising more or cut the fat our of their diet, then I would like to think that maybe munching on that delicious crunchy apple helped. Or maybe they will realize that they enjoy good health and be thankful for that. Happy Birthday and RIP, we're trying to help make others more heart healthy wise.
I am only 18 months older than my brother, we grew up very close. I understand that it's a day of if's for your son.
He's been pretty quiet today. His wife sent me a text, but he has not.
@LadyDuck He was just in a "mood" which he gets into sometimes. By the end of the day he was himself, he and my husband went to a hockey game together while his wife and I went out to eat and visited together.
@Juliaacv It happens, there is not a specific reason to feel moody.
@miketagz (7496)
Condolence to you my friend. God bless you.
Thanks, remember to do something good for your heart today.
@miketagz (7496)
@Juliaacv Sure, mark my word.
You have created a wonderful way to honor your daughter's memory. Wishing you comfort on this day.
Thanks Deb. Somehow we have to find good in the bad that has happened in our lives so that others don't experience it.
What a great way to honor your daughters memory by gently reminding others to take care of their hearts. Thoughts and good wishes to you my friend on this day
Thank you, I feel it helps to deflect that pain.
So sorry for your liss. What a wonderful tribute.
Thank you. I hope that people take their health a little more seriously and not for granted.
@Juliaacv Thank You for sharing! I mourn with you over the loss of a child so young. What you have shared will bring to mind the importance of being healthy.
Thank you, that is our goal. To bring heart health to the minds of everyone because we can all fall victim to heart disease, regardless of our age.
That is a wonderful way to remember your daughter.
Thanks Susan, we wouldn't want to see anyone suffer from a heart attack or a stroke. When I remember what our friend on the site here, Laurel, went thru last summer, it has to be awfully scary.
@1creekgirl (10343)
I know that's a heartbreak forever, but it's good you're able to use that to help others be healthy.
Thanks Vicki.
I am sorry for your loss. Good way to honor her memory!
Thanks and thanks!
Happy Birthday to your dear daughter. I know this must be such a difficult day for you but I like your gesture. Having a healthy heart is so important. It is something we really take for granted.
Thanks Laurel. And I had an extra apple thinking of you! I don't want people to take heart health or health in general for granted, so even if people think a bit while eating an apple, that is good, because eventually it might make them act on that thought and turn their life around and live healthier.
@Juliaacv if you help just one person turn their life around then it is worth it.
@Happy2BeMe That is what I told the owner of our business. And hopefully a few are considering it.
@cintol (6408)
I am so sorry for your loss, there is nothing worse than losing a child. I am happy that you are celebrating her in such a beautiful way and if you help just one person, you have done a wonderful thing.
Thanks. My husband and I have always been strong advocates for healthy hearts and the Heart & Stroke Foundation. We would hate to see someone else have to live thru what we have.
@cintol (6408)
Well you are doing a wonderful thing, good luck to you my friend
@cintol Thank you so much Cindy.
That's a nice way to honour your daughter's memory. I am lucky to be so healthy but I certainly don't take it for granted.
Thank you Judy. I'm glad that you do not take your good health for granted. I hope that you fed your body something healthy like an apple today.
@Juliaacv I had a lovely salad for lunch and we're having stir-fry for dinner so plenty of healthy vegies today.
@JudyEv That's wonderful. When I look at what some people consume it sends off warning bells in my head and I feel sorry for them.
Happy Birthday to your sweet daughter, I know she will be alive in your heart forever.
Thanks Izzy, that means a lot to me.
@Juliaacv My Daniel was just 16 months younger than my son Steven so I know what these anniversaries feel like. And after 48 years, not much better.
@BelleStarr I know, I feel that she is with me every single day and I'm sure that you feel the same way about Daniel.
I am so sorry. It must have been very hard for you and your husband. 14 years ago our country made New Born Screening mandatory for all babies born in the hospital. With that, we can detect any diseases that the baby might have or develop later on.
That is great to have babies screened like that. We knew a couple of months before she was born that things were not right. And they took her before she was due because both her and myself were in stress and our health was deteriorating. They almost lost us both during the birth.
@Juliaacv I'm so sorry. I can't imagine how it would have been for your husband and your son if they lost you both. I had pregnancy symptoms when my son was 2 years old but it turned out to be a blighted pregnancy. Nevertheless, I felt that I lost a baby. I was depressed for two weeks. My sister who happens to be an OB Gyne, explained it to me and consoled me.
@toniganzon Thanks, it did not happen, and I am thankful for that. You are so lucky to have a doctor in the family.
Gigantic hugs to you guys today. And I hope those apples do help.
Thanks.
im sorry for youre daughters loss. how old did she gone?
Thank you. She was less then a month old.
@Juliaacv just recent
@buenavida (8014)
• Sweden
A nice way to remember your daughter.. Looking forward to meet her - as Jesus said to a dying man: ”you will be with me in paradise”
Thank you. I do believe that she is waiting for us on the other side. There are a lot of times that I do wish that she were with us on this side though.
@buenavida (8014)
• Sweden
@Juliaacv The Bible teaches that the earth will be a paradise, just as God planned from the beginning, most.of our loved ones will live on earth..Psalm 37:29, Matthew 5:5, Daniel 2:44.. You find an online Bible here:
Read the Bible online, listen, or download. Published by Jehovah’s Witnesses, the New World Translation of the Holy Scriptures is accurate, easy to read.
@MissNikki (2689)
I am so sorry for your loss. It is very good of you to be promoting a healthy lifestyle in her honour. I wish you all the best
Thank you. Its been a really long time, I am thankful that our son is healthy and I hope that my and my husband's heart health continues to remain strong. That's why I did it, and in her memory. My co-workers thought it was great.
@sallypup (27114)
• Moses Lake, Washington
That's a grand way to remember your lovely daughter. I'm sorry for your loss.
Thank you, no sense in wallowing in self-pity.
@PainsOnSlate (20254)
I am so sorry you lost a baby, I can’t even imagine what that feels like. I like the idea of the apples.
Thanks. We all need to eat as healthy as we can don't we?