Every backyard must have calamansi, I think.

@eileenleyva (10964)
It was just out of a whim that I threw calamansi seeds in my backyard eleven years ago. Soon after, I saw tiny plants peeping. Surprised, as the backyard soil was thick and was not suitable for growing plants, I gladly arranged the little plants in a row. Seasons came and went, my calamansi trees grew tall and abundant with fruits. Every time I need the citrus for cooking and juices, all I have to do is pick from my trees.
Can you please add a photo? I don't know this fruit. As you can see from the comments, I'm not the only one.
@eileenleyva (10964)
I was doing that. The picture won't upload. I will try again.
@eileenleyva (10964)
Yay, I got that uploaded. I won't delete this anymore. That's my backyard harvest today.
@miketagz (7496)
@MALUSE She upload it now. Or she may deliver the real fruit at your home.
@hereandthere (31869)
my mother never had luck with it. she would buy pots with a growing plant in it, but they always end up infested with something.
@eileenleyva (10964)
That is sad.
@ramapo17 (24518)
• Melbourne, Florida
That's to bad I hate plants that are hard to care for.
@vandana7 (66086)
What is calamansi
@eileenleyva (10964)
Little citruses for fruit juices. High Vitamin C. Good for cooking and sauces.
@ramapo17 (24518)
• Melbourne, Florida
@eileenleyva So they are like a lime?
@JustBhem (39321)
• Davao, Philippines
I agree with you, we should have calamansi in our garden. I sometimes have calamansi juice because of vitamin c needed for my immune system.
@eileenleyva (10964)
Yes. Bhem, drink a cup full of calamansi without water, for maximum effect. That is what the anthroposophic doctor told me.
@JustBhem (39321)
• Davao, Philippines
@eileenleyva That will boost my immune system and will keep me away from flu.
@eileenleyva (10964)
@JustBhem Indeed, Bhem. Isn't it great our good God has provided us the natural remedy! A classmate from Australia arrived and narrated to me her physical ailments and her husband's, too. She felt they are living on borrowed time. So they are making the most happiness out of positive thoughts and herbal healing. Her daily concoctions include brews of baby mango leaves as tea, with bay leaves (laurel). Really, she appears spirited and very beautiful. I told her we are all on borrowed time. Only our God decides how long we live and when we die. Keep the flu out. I am sneezing my self. Sigh. We don't need viruses at all.
@Teekaaa (5678)
What is calamansi?
@eileenleyva (10964)
A citrus fruit.
@Teekaaa (5678)
@eileenleyva thanks for adding the picture!
@eileenleyva (10964)
@Teekaaa I was uploading the picture and mylot shut down on me thrice. I had to reset the internet. I am sorry.
@miketagz (7496)
I love to mix them with soy sauce and red chillis, then I ate it with grilled fish known as tilapia or bangus. Juicy.
@eileenleyva (10964)
Same here. Ha ha
@miketagz (7496)
Not familiar with it.
@eileenleyva (10964)
I think the calamansi is a tiny cousin of the lemon.
@Icydoll (22436)
It's good to have calamansi in your backyard.:).we used to have it.
@eileenleyva (10964)
What happened to your tree?
Oh I wish but tropical climate change is not eminent over here so I doubt I will ever see that fruit grown here, and it looks yummy enough . . .
@eileenleyva (10964)
Calamansi is sour. What is amazing in this citrus fruit, aside from the Vitamin C, is that it renders the dish delicious, super yummy. For example, in beef steak where soy, pepper and onions are the main ingredients, add calamansi and gosh, there is that yummy taste. Perfect blend.
@eileenleyva well maybe it can be combined with lamb somehow and I could vary my regular recipe and get some variety cause honestly I am running out of ideas on how to prepare lamb . . . we eat a lot of it and turkey also no beef
@eileenleyva (10964)
@enlightenedpsych2 Yup. I love lamb and turkey, too, but kinda rare here, and when we do have cold cuts in the supermarket shelves, we couldn't afford the price. Beef is expensive, too, and I buy sirloin and shank every two or three months. For health reasons. Yes, experimenting with new ingredients is exciting. The new flavor or the new taste becomes an earing experience.
• Calgary, Alberta
They grow calamansi in the US, They call it calamondin. they waste the fruit, They dont eat them nor juice them. They just use them for decorations.
@eileenleyva (10964)
Particularly where in the US?
• Calgary, Alberta
@eileenleyva California and Florida. They just used it as decorations. They make it ripe and safe its baby orange. They wont eat it, they will just let it rot. They use it in flower arrangements. the waste of food makes me angry.
@eileenleyva (10964)
@CaptAlbertWhisker Do something about promoting it then. You can educate people to use the fruit in their juices and dishes. One person at a time. Anger gets us nowhere. You have to affect people one person at a time.
I've never heard of this fruit. Some plants grow so well and easily don't they? It's good that you are able to use the fruit.
@eileenleyva (10964)
Calamansi is mainly for juice but we use this for cooking. Most popular is the Bistek or beef steak. Sirloin strips cooked in soy sauce, calamansi, onions and black ground pepper. Try it. You will love it very much. I did hear of a bartender story, an unknown bartender who participated in an international competition. Everyone was good, except that this Filipino brought with him calamansi and put the juice on the tip of the wineglass. The judges were bewildered with the taste. He emerged the winner.
@eileenleyva That was very clever of the chef. Other chefs always like something a bit different
@eileenleyva (10964)
@JudyEv Yes, it was clever of him. That also paved the way for him to further his bartender career. I did sit in one of classes. He was very grateful to the lowly calamansi.
That is really cool. What is a calamansi?
@eileenleyva (10964)
Hanni, calamansi is a juicy citrus fruit. The Vitamin C in calamnsi is very high that it takes only some five or six calamansi and one gets the necessary dose for the day. Usually, people do mix juices with the calamansi but my people love to invent new viands, so we use calamansi for beef steak and barbecue grill, plus, a side sauce, mixture of which is soy, chili and calamansi.
@eileenleyva Sounds very interesting eileenleyva.
You have a wonderful supply of citrus now!!!
@eileenleyva (10964)
Yes. And it is my daily dose of Vitamin C.
@ramapo17 (24518)
• Melbourne, Florida
What kind of plant is it? I never heard of it.