Does level of sports in a country indicate level of its development?

@suripunj (971)
New Delhi, India
We are developing country since long and i don't know how long we will remain so with this tag Barring few few medals in Olympic -not all shining ,we come back home tired and demoralized and then find solace in victory in cricket(an English game which no longer remained English and now widely enjoyed in Indian continent). We do well in Cricket and number 1 side in world. If we can do well in cricket why we can't we do in other fields or at least in other sports? The wonder is cricket is mostly played and enjoyed in the country which are not developed.No powerful nation plays cricket.So does it further prove that we are not good because the game we excel in is not the game played by powerful. Is there any game you think is the best parameter to judge its positioning in the world in terms of economy or military?
• Pleasant Hill, California
Don't they play Cricket in England? I'm not sure how to correlate sports success with success in other areas. Many of the best distance runners come from African nations that are still developing. And soccer (football) is widely enjoyed in Europe and in many Central and South American nations that are still developing. What do you think?
@suripunj (971)
• New Delhi, India
yes agree but medal tally in Olympic sill gives this precised indication.Can Chili be on top on list? What makes a country a sporting nation if i could find the answer which possibly rule out any possible role of economy of the country.i will join your band.
@AKRao24 (20625)
i fully endorse your views dear @TheHorse! Thanks!
• Pleasant Hill, California
@suripunj I am sure economic strength plays a role.
• Preston, England
not being a sports fan I can't really say - the Olympics is a great chance for everyone to learn about the people of all nations though
I think in countries that have economies that are pretty good produce more athletes that have the skills needed to win. Parents who have the money to pay for lessons in a sport for a very young child, for many, many years, would definitely result in talented athletes. Countries with good economies may also have more well-paid trainers and training venues for young athletes, I would think.
@AKRao24 (20625)
India already excelled in Chess many a times in the past and this game is played by all the Nations in the World! You must realize one thing like a sports persons from North Korea are punished severely if they fail to succeed in the competitions. Do we have anything like this in India? We respect our players and we are giving them their breathing time presently! Reason ? basically your assumption or presumption is wrong ...India is just beginning to come up from the ill effects which they had because of slavery to British ! There was a time where India was asking funds from developed countries to survive...from that stage it took us 3 to 4 generations to come to this stage where are living in! Today we are self sufficient and are making progress in many events, sports and games. Previously we were just busy in fulfilling the basic needs! Thanks dear friend @suripunj , I am afraid you should change your way of thinking before putting up the things on international platform! Thanks!
@suripunj (971)
• New Delhi, India
yes i changed we are now at par with developed country.I am proud of my nation.We have achieved milestones no one ever achieved so far. Actually we invented plastic surgery ,the aviation the IT,we defeated English in their cricket even when we were British colony.i am sorry i thought it was discussion forum so i wrote.I retreat.
@AKRao24 (20625)
No need to feel sorry about anything dear @suripunj ! We are very powerful as a country and in coming times we will show our strength to the world! Thanks dear friend! Have a nice time!
@aureliah (17746)
Third world countries. I don’t know for how long will we also be in this list
• Pleasant Hill, California
Where are you from?
@aureliah (17746)
@TheHorse Kenya. The home of Obama
@saritflor (4085)
• Israel
That's interesting topic but I would say there isn't much connection, and take into account today athletes go from one country to another...