Surprise!

Winston Salem, North Carolina
Over the past few weeks, I’ve been closely watching the daffodil leaves that have sprouted through the detritus of deal leaves beside my driveway. Leaves are stretching up towards the sky and the buds are fat and look ready to burst into glorious yellow blooms at any moment (yellow is a particularly beautiful colour, wouldn’t you agree?). A trip down to the chicken coop to collect the daily allotment of eggs resulted in a bit of a surprise. What IS that little patch of purple brightening up the green and brown of the bed of strawberry plants? That wee patch of brilliant purple is a crocus that has stretched its petals so wide they are in danger of turning the blossom inside out. Spring has surprised me with a bit of pretty purple. It feels like spring has made a down-payment and the balance will be following soon. What signs of spring are starting to be evident in your neck of the woods (or, if you’re down under, signs of autumn)?
Thanks for sharing that lovely photo, Emmett. Melting snow is our only sign of spring. I love the sight of melting snow.
Melting snow tends to result in a mushy, muddy mess around here. Of course, we don't get a lot of snow as a general rule and it never stays very long.
Snowbells, winter aconites and crocuses are out. The yellow crocuses are always out before the purple ones. Have you noticed this, too? Daffodils are still growing and developing their buds.
The purple crocus is the only one in our entire yard. I think that needs to be rectified.
@Platespinner Very strange! This purple specimen must be precocious.
@MALUSE It's only strange because the package of purple bulbs I planted a couple of years ago only seems to have contained one crocus bulb. It was warm enough today that the daffodils have decided to burst forth.
Haven't had any of my purple crocus appear yet but I have several yellow and white ones out front
No yellow or white ones here, just one lone purple one.
@Platespinner These are the real little ones, they bloom about this time every year, my larger ones that are purple and purple/white haven't even begun to show any green yet
@JolietJake give them time.
@UncleJoe (10303)
• Virginia Beach, Virginia
Our beaches are sprouting people.
I've never understood why people prefer going to the beach in the spring over the late autumn. Of course, it works out well for me since not only is the water warmer in the autumn, fewer people are there as well.
@UncleJoe (10303)
• Virginia Beach, Virginia
@Platespinner Probably because tanning beds won't give you skin cancer quick enough. I have seen them laying on the beach when it was only in the 60's. Some folks get blue tans.
@UncleJoe I don't think I will ever understand people.
The garden is covered with crocuses (all purple, no yellow or pink this year ). I also have primroses, hellebore and wild violets. The nature is waking up.
Sounds beautiful!
@Platespinner I would love to see crocus of more colors than purple. Last year the white, yellow and pink came later.
@LadyDuck after living for 20 years in a place too warm for crocuses and even for tulips, I'm thrilled with my wee purple bloom.
No signs of spring here yet but it was 60 degrees which was wonderful. Such a cute photo
With 60 degree temperatures, signs of spring should be showing soon!
@Platespinner It dropping down to freezing tomorrow
nice flower, yeah ive heard that spring is approaching in US now
Some areas get warm weather earlier than others. Usually, we don't start seeing spring flowers around here until after the first of March.
@Platespinner we dont have spring hre just sunny or rainy
What a lovely shade of purple.
It is beautiful, isn't it?
@Platespinner it really is
Such a pretty picture! The bees are out and about along with the warmer temperatures here. =)
I haven't seen any bees out yet but I don't imagine it will be long. It's nice to have shirt-sleeve weather again!
@Platespinner Yes, we have been taking walks a lot here and enjoying the nice weather.
@LeaPea2417 (21146)
• Toccoa, Georgia
That is a pretty flower. The only thing here right now , is the unseasonably warm weather that is making me wish for Spring.
Crocuses didn't grow in Alabama so I imagine they don't grow in most places in Georgia either. Around here, and further north as well, they are one of the first harbingers of spring.
• New Delhi, India
The flower in the photo is looking beautiful. Really spring season is coming and its the most beautiful season for me. What abput others?
I like all four seasons and am glad I live in a region in which all four are enjoyable.
No signs of Spring here.
I'm glad my husband and I have found a good compromise between Canada and Alabama. It's not nearly as hot here in the summer, as cold in the winter, and spring comes early!
@Plethos (10304)
its almost like an early spring.
It seems Punxsutawney Phil blew it this year.
@Morleyhunt (19888)
Melting snow...followed by freezing rain. It is a yoyo temperature wise, but a warming trend is evident.
I'm not seeing any freezing temperatures in our foreseeable future. Which means we'll probably get a late season freeze in April that will kill off all of the plants that got an early start.
@Icydoll (22590)
Lovely photo my dear friend
Thank you!
@Prdhan (603)
Beautiful color and flower.Snow never come back.
I suspect we might end up with another snowfall before the cold weather is completely gone but I intend to enjoy this warm spell while it lasts!
@ilocosboy (34404)
That flower brought colors to your garden. Just love that little toy beside it.
Little toy? That's ME!!!!! Emmett the mighty!
Looks like you have a good hiding spot there Emmett We don't have any signs of spring yet except today was warm and wonderful
It was exceptionally mild here today and the first of the daffodils have exploded into yellow blooms. At 2:30 this afternoon they were just starting to open and this is what I found at 5!
@oahuwriter (2770)
• United States Minor Outlying Islands
Spring is in the air and your pretty picture says it all! What a lovely flower sprouting so proudly! It's so beautiful to behold for it came out of the blue, didn't it? What a wonderful surprise indeed!
I've been so busy watching the other sprouting spring flowers that I forgot to look for this wee fellow. Of course, it is in a spot that I can't see unless I'm physically outside on the south side of the house.
@KrauseHome (35341)
Seen lilac bushes looking like they are getting ready to bloom. I love Spring and being able to see and experience all the newness of life