A suggestion when making tutorials on YouTube

Bunbury, Australia
DB (@dgobucks226) and I were just chatting about tutorials on YouTube and how useful they can be. The discussion which prompted the interaction is: I think perhaps a couple myLotters sometimes put up tutorials on certain subjects. We’ve attempted several projects which we would never have tackled had it not been for very helpful YouTube tutorials. One involved removing the airbag from a car door. Today’s search involves looking for a solution to a chain-saw problem. Vince now feels he can tackle the problem. However, one tutorial on a sewing machine problem was less than helpful mainly because the demonstrator kept putting her hands in front of the camera and you couldn’t see the actual part she was trying to demonstrate. If you’re putting up tutorials, it’s a good point to remember. Review your video at the finish to ensure the points you’re making can be seen clearly. The photo is of a different sort of 'hand' - a kangaroo paw.
The online industry has taken the world by storm. In America, more than 22 million are spending some 57 billion annually on various services. And that's not...
I watch tutorial videos on YouTube almost every day. Some users are very good, others, as you say, have the gift to hide everything with their head or their hands.
It is a shame as it totally spoils what might otherwise be a very useful tutorial.
@JudyEv I fully agree, it seems they do not take the time to watch their videos before uploading.
@AJAYSAXENA (1945)
• Hyderabad, India
Some times even after doing all the stuff you will have no luck. i am the one of it.
Some handyman projects can be very tricky can't they?
• Hyderabad, India
@JudyEv Means?
@AJAYSAXENA Some maintenance jobs in the home or with a car can be difficult but with a good tutorial they become easier.
@dgobucks226 (12105)
You are so right about reviewing the tutorial beforehand. I have seen You Tube tutorials where they are poorly presented. For example, some presenters like to provide to much information unrelated to the actual task they are demonstrating.
You're quite right. You need enough information but some videos become very long and you lose focus.
@dgobucks226 (12105)
@JudyEv I watched one today where the presenter said don't judge 4 times in the first 2 minutes of her tutorial on printers and making prints. I just wanted the information not her life story. I lasted another 30 seconds before moving on
@dgobucks226 I can believe this. Some are much better at creating tutorials than others.
@moffittjc (42965)
• Gainesville, Florida
I have just recently discovered the world of YouTube tutorials, and so far have found them very useful. But, like you said, there are some where the information they are saying is great, but the visual demonstrations leave a lot to be desired. I'm a visual person, I need to see something rather than just hearing it. So I get frustrated when the tutorial video isn't very useful because the person's hands or head is in the way of being able to see what they are demonstrating. But overall, I've been happy with most tutorials I've watched.
Some have certainly been very helpful to us. I'm a visual person too and have great trouble trying to visualise something just from words or even a plan.
@moffittjc (42965)
• Gainesville, Florida
@JudyEv When I buy something that needs to be assembled, I really hope and pray that the instruction manual has pictures in it so I can see how to put something together! If it just has written instructions, it's a guarantee that I will mess up the assembly somehow because I cannot follow the instructions without pictures to guide me! lol
@moffittjc At least you open the instruction manual! If it weren't for me, Vince would plough ahead and try to work it out with any instructions, written or otherwise. Sigh - he is so lucky to have me to take him in hand and insist on reading out the instructions for him!
@shshiju (10490)
• Cochin, India
The link is not open to me.I never watched a MyLot tutorials video.
I'm not really talking about tutorials about myLot - just tutorials in general. Are you able to watch YouTube?
@shshiju (10490)
• Cochin, India
@JudyEv Sorry. Yes I watches videos of many things which I don't know how to make or do
@shshiju They can be very helpful can't they?
I look up things on you tube all the time.
There seems to be nothing that can't be found on YouTube.
@JudyEv So much good videos to watch on YouTube, I visit there a lot.
@marlina I'm watching more and more too. Much more than I ever used to.
• Serbia
Tutorials are awesome. People love them, they're helpful, great. If you're doing it for money then try to keep your tutorial evergreen content - meaning it's valid forever. For example, "How to boil an egg" would be a better video than "How to change cover on iPhone Whatever 5" The iPhone Whatever 5 will be out of style in a few months, but boiling an egg will still be relevant 100 years from now probably. You can also get a boost for your channel and videos by using a site like Socialesale.com or Wizard4Socialmedia.com or Digesale.com or one of those sites. Good luck :)
Thanks for the suggestions although I doubt I'll ever be doing a YouTube tutorial - even on boiling an egg!
• Serbia
@JudyEv That's cool, you're free to do as you like :D I hope my post provided some value at least :)
@LegalAlien Certainly it did. I didn't mean to sound ungrateful.
I've tried to watch a few that I couldn't make it through because they were so poorly done. But I have learned something from the good ones.
There seems to be nothing that isn't covered by a YouTube clip.
@JudyEv - I'm always surprised if I can't find what I'm looking for.
@garymarsh6 (14062)
Absolutely otherwise it defeats the object of showing you how not to do it! I love the look of that flower!
It's surprising how many do have some obstruction or other in the way.
I blew up then cropped a photo of 'real' kangaroo paws. You can see where the name comes from.
@garymarsh6 (14062)
@JudyEv Oh yes no wonder! They look quite lethal don't they!
@JudyEv Thanks for the tips.
You're welcome. Maybe some day you'll be able to use some of them.
@JudyEv I have no clue as to who or if anyone watches what I have posted on youtube. Is there a way to check?
@sueznewz2 (9969)
• Alicante, Spain
they really are useful.. when done properly I watched a video on ... how to make.. a how to video .... it was good..
Some of the how-to posters need to watch a video on how-to too!
I watch Youtube al the time but not tutorials.
We never used to think about watching a tutorial to solve a problem but it's surprising how useful they can be.
• Preston, England
yes a tutorial that is badly edited is neither use nor ornament
Very true. People often want to do these things like putting up a tutorial but they don't think things through.
i need that photo! i hear ya'n some folks 'n their tutorials. some'd be really great if'n they'd take a bit more time 'n review 'em 'fore tossin' 'em out to the masses. i'd be tryin' to learn me hows to thread paint via such masterpieces 'n some're quite lackin', jest from the angle 'n outta focus aspect.
You can find just about anything on there now. Lots of good stuff.
@Plethos (10313)
i saw a tutorial video on how to watch a tutorial video, it was informative. last one i saw answered my worries on changing out an overhead stove vent.
Once upon a time we'd never think of looking on YouTube for how to do something but we use it more and more now. Some are better than others but eventually you find one that tells you exactly what you need to know.
I have not watched tutorials videos on YouTube.It seems to be a great programme where they show you the ropes and answer your questions.
They can be very useful if you are having trouble with something that you think you should be able to do.
Sorry I'm not much of an expert here but I hope some one else can help you over there.
It is just a general comment about how some people give you a very good description but then they hide part of their demonstration with their hand or their head or whatever. Have a great day.
YouTube videos are great. Son was able to fix the heating element in my stove and do other repairs at friends houses from watching YouTube videos.
It seems there is nothing that can't be found there. Some of the tutorials are very professionally done but others are not quite so polished.