I Can Do My Own Thinking, Thank You!

@UncleJoe (10632)
Virginia Beach, Virginia
Don’t you hate it when somebody else tries to think for YOU? It happens all the time. I tend to think for others when I’m not careful. Not that we actually influence anyone’s thoughts, unless we’re telepathic. What I’m referring to is assuming we know what someone else thinks. Like we know what they would say. I haven’t seen my 43 year-old daughter since she was 15. We have talked on the phone a number of times but that doesn’t happen anymore. Why? Because she doesn’t think I would approve of her lifestyle. She thinks she knows what I would have to say, but she doesn’t. It is no longer my place to judge or guide her. She is a grown woman. As far as I’m concerned, it’s all I can do to live my own life without making too many mistakes. I wish my baby girl the best. Sometimes my own imagination gets me into trouble that way. I have stupidly read something into another person’s look or expression that was far from their intent. When things like that bother me, especially from a friend, I will approach them if I think I might have offended them. Nine times out of ten, I was completely wrong. Some even had no idea what I was talking about. The worst is when we don’t see someone we care about for a while. I have foolishly worried myself into a frenzy over whatever my imagination could conjure up. How about you? Do you ever “think” about what someone else is thinking?
@Icydoll (23565)
I used to be like that...but I have changed I don't care about what others think.
It's easy to come up with all sorts of crazy ideas sometimes. I guess we all tend to think too much sometimes. I'm sorry about your daughter.
That's sad that you haven't seen your daughter for so long. Could you perhaps write to her or email her, making the point that you've made here?
@Platespinner (17047)
As a daughter myself with serious parent issues, I feel for your daughter. I never quite managed to live up to my parents' expectations and it took many, many years before I figured that out and stopped trying to meet their expectations. Have you shared with her what you've shared with us here? I'm quite often guilty of reading things into relationships that aren't really there. You'd think I'd have learned not to do that by now.
@WorDazza (10100)
• Manchester, England
I do try not to do this but, as you say, it is sometimes quite difficult to stop. The thing i really, really hate is when someone gets offended on someone else's behalf particularly when it's on behalf of a whole group of people such as Christian's, Muslims, gay people or whoever. First of all don't assume that someone else is going to get offended by something. Show the basic decency and courtesy to ask if they are offended. Secondly don't assume every Christian, Muslim or gay person or whoever thinks the same about every issue. Show some basic decency and courtesy and treat people as individuals!!
@prashu228 (25589)
yes ..i agree i do..and that mistake is done quiet often...
• Eugene, Oregon
I have to confess that I do that all too often. Bad habit.
• Ponce De Leon, Florida
I'm sorry that you haven't seen your daughter in so long.
@cintol (7659)
I am guilty of that as well but I make sure with family I let them know I love them no matter what their lifestyles are. I hope you get to see your baby girl soon and she will understand that family need to be together no matter what.
Yes I have done that before.
@1creekgirl (11495)
I've seen so many family relationships dissolve, but the parent-child bond is never truly broken. I hope you can convince your daughter that it's not too late for the both of you.