Favorite BIG #1 HITS Through the Years: 1962 Pop

@FourWalls (15291)
Great news at work today: I get another two-month vacation this summer. BETTER news: I’m working so much overtime this week I’ll pretty much have the vacation paid for by next Friday! Let’s celebrate with another big #1 hit single. I’m picking a #1 hit from each of the first 25 years in my life. Here’s the next Billboard chart-topper. 1962 (Pop): Breaking Up is Hard to Do - Neil Sedaka I may sneak up into the attic late at night to play some guilty pleasure music like Phil Collins or Toto, but I’ll blast Neil Sedaka with my windows down at a stop light. I love Neil Sedaka’s music. This was a top ten hit twice, 13 years apart, in two distinct versions. This version, which hit #1 in 1962, was the typical happy, upbeat Neil Sedaka pop that everyone was used to. In contrast, the 1975 version was a slow, almost jazzy, ballad. Sedaka said that the 1975 version is how he originally wrote the song, but the RCA brass didn’t think it fit in with his “style” and urged him to do the song with a more upbeat tempo. Score one for RCA: the song went to #1. However, the slower version also hit the top ten in the “comeback” era of the mid-70s, proving Sedaka wasn’t wrong, either. When I saw Sedaka a few years ago, he did BOTH versions: the upbeat version during the main part of the show, and the slow version as an encore. Breaking Up is Hard to Do Written by Neil Sedaka and Howard Greenfield Recorded by Neil Sedaka Released as a single, 1962 #1 for two weeks Do do do down doobie-doo down down:
The #1 Conkyjoe music video in 2009. Over 2.4 million views. A classic song on a classic Miami TV show, "Saturday Hop" with legendary DJ- VJ host, Rick Shaw....
@dgobucks226 (13839)
That is my favorite Neil Sedaka song! It's not "Hold The Line" or "Invisible Touch" but "Laughter In The Rain" is a very good guilty pleasure too!
I always fell in love with that song every time I hear it.
@dgobucks226 (13839)
@junrose123 Yes, the lyrics are so expressive you can feel them!
Well that is great, I would love it also to give a try later on so that I can really hear how good it is.
Huge huge hit. A classic.
Did you ever see the King of Queens episode that he was on?
@FourWalls (15291)
No! Did he sing "King of Clowns" and "Queen of 1964"?
@FourWalls - No, he was in the closing segment, backstage, reading a letter from Arthur.
Arthur Spooner (Jerry Stiller) says he helped Neil create "Happy Birthday Sweet Sixteen." Turns out he's telling the truth.
@FourWalls (15291)
@teamfreak16 -- that's a hoot. Love those cameos like that!!
I really like neil sedaka songs because they are great and fantastic.
I sing the upbeat version in the shower
@miketagz (7489)
A Local Comedy Tandem was Pork Chop Duo from the Philippines who re-enact one of Neil Sedaka songs entitled Diary.
I heard about that group and watch several videos of them, and it was really great and very funny.
@miketagz (7489)
@junrose123 Yeah but they are both gone. Anyway our hearts remain to remember their show.
@miketagz Yes it is just very sad that they are gone since they are my idols.