Our plans for today have been changed

Bunbury, Australia
I thought our only commitment today was to attend a barbecue this afternoon but last night at our community lawn bowls event, where my team lost by the way, the groundsman told us of a fallen tree on the golf course which we can harvest for firewood if we want to. The tree is a jarrah which is ideal for burning in our tile fire so by 8am we’ll be sawing up the fallen tree and carting home the timber. Luckily yesterday we bought a new chain for the chain-saw so Vince will fit that this morning, we’ll fuel it up, hitch on the trailer, grab our ear-muffs and work-gloves and be on our way. Hopefully we won’t fall asleep at the barbecue later. And tomorrow we’re going to Denmark – ‘our’ Denmark, on the south coast, not the overseas one. The photo is of one tree we won’t be harvesting. Someone must have been very disappointed when they cut this down and it stuck in its neighbour. You can see how the support tree has grown and taken the cut tree up with it.
I love to see you swing an ax.lol
I would love that too.. I hope Judy can show us a pic.
@toniganzon @amadeo We just used the chainsaw today. I used to chop wood but my back is too bad now.
@moffittjc (44001)
• Gainesville, Florida
@JudyEv No need to swing an ax when a chainsaw can do the job so much more efficiently!
You guys are always so busy to the max.
We rarely put in a full day any more. Maybe it just sounds that way but we do have a lot of downtime (read - myLot time).
What a silly mistake they made with the tree in the photo! It made it cool for us to look at though with how it grew up with it that way. Lucky for you getting the free firewood
There are two like this in the bush behind us. It would be pretty funny if it happened on the same day to the same people. It would serve them right as live trees are not supposed to be cut down. Ones that have fallen can be taken but living trees should not be cut down.
@JudyEv Are the woods where you are protected that way? I know where my father lives in the Adirondacks trees cannot be cut without a permit either. He didn’t know that and let a guy log land he bought and the logger got in no trouble for doing it.
@shaggin Yes they are protected but you still hear chainsaws going in the bush and know that trees are being felled. The ranger can't be in too many places at once.
@1hopefulman (30179)
That was a bonus for you! Don't eat or drink too much and enjoy the evening and if you are too tired, head home and get a good night's rest.
It's lunchtime and we've finished carting wood so I might have a sleep before I need to go out tonight.
@1hopefulman (30179)
@JudyEv I hope you had a beautiful evening!
Well that is a good opportunity and I don't blame you for changing your plans.
We reckon we have enough wood from this one exercise to last right through a winter so that is a really good outcome.
That is one big tree!
@xFiacre (4582)
@judyev Seems like there's always something for you to be getting up to - now it's lumberjacking.
Well, I think lumberjacking is a bit too fancy a word. Maybe Gathering Wood 101 would be nearer the mark.
@pgntwo (21761)
• Derry, Northern Ireland
That's an interesting picture! I hope your sawing goes to plan, it's hard work, and a chainsaw can kick in odd directions if the trunk is across uneven ground. Hopefully there is not much clean-up required after removal, some golf courses take great pride in their pristine greens, bunkers, fairways, and rough areas too...
We were told to take what we wanted and not to worry about cleaning up the area. They have a tractor and blade and will push the rest together. We got a really good load and after we come back from our week in Denmark (our town Denmark, not the country Denmark) there is more there that we are welcome to. Here is this morning's load.
@pgntwo (21761)
• Derry, Northern Ireland
@JudyEv In the right place at the right time, that's for sure!
@pgntwo We might ask Vince's brother to help with the next lot. We do a lot of things together particularly if it is something that is a bit beyond two people.
@miketagz (7494)
That's a lot of wood to chop off hehe. Happy grilling!!!
Thanks. I always like a barbecue.
@miketagz (7494)
@JudyEv Wow, hope I can taste of your style made barbeque. *Yum*
@miketagz We had pork chops and they were delicious.
@nitirrbb7 (3260)
You both just be careful while sawing up the fallen tree.
We've finished now and I think I might need a nap this afternoon. It was quite heavy work.
@nitirrbb7 (3260)
@JudyEv Yeah take some rest, you will feel better
@Tina30219 (34489)
• Onaway, Michigan
I hope you enjoy your trip to Denmark tomorrow.
Thank you. It is a pretty town and I'm sure it will be very relaxing.
@Tina30219 (34489)
• Onaway, Michigan
@JudyEv Relaxing is the best part enjoy the prettiness
@rakski (18648)
Sometimes plan changes without long notice but this one is good because you will have logs for your fireplace
Yes we need the wood over the winter so we were pleased to be able to get some wood.
@Morleyhunt (19856)
I've learned to be very flexible in any plans I make. Life throws me curve balls and I change my plans in an instant. Today was spent painting kitchen cupboards....more of the same for tomorrow.
It pays to be flexible I think. It results in much less stress and enables you to take advantage of any opportunities that might come up.
• Eugene, Oregon
I hope that the firewood chore goes well, better take some coffee along. I wonder if that "loose" tree could slip out of the grasp of the others? I would not like to walk near it.
It took most of the morning but is done now. I'm hoping the tree in the photo will bring the other one down one day and give us more firewood.
Sounds like a busy weekend for you! I've been out of the house all day. Played 18 holes of golf, very badly, ate too much at lunch, and was too full to eat much at dinner on our date night. lol
18 holes! I hope you had a golf buggy and didn't have to walk although I know you are used to walking good distances.
@JudyEv Lol, yes, we use a golf cart.
@alberello75 (17996)
• Genova, Italy
It is always bad to break down trees! Believe?
That's true. We usually only cut up trees that have fallen down.
@alberello75 (17996)
• Genova, Italy
@JudyEv But excuse me. For what reason the trees, in your parts, fall down?
@alberello75 During one big storm we had five trees come down in one night. Some don't have very strong root systems and if there is a lot of wind they fall over.
Hard work, but free firewood is always nice!
We were just starting to think we might need to buy some but we'll be set for at least another winter now.
@JudyEv - We have to buy some this morning. We are going camping today and tomorrow.
@teamfreak16 I gather you need to take your own firewood to make a campfire? Mostly here we can scavenge enough although fires are forbidden at the moment. Hope you're having a great time in the great outdoors.
I hope nothing gets in the way of you being able to go the next day to Denmark.
Thanks. We're back now and had a very enjoyable and relaxing time.
@JudyEv So glad you got to go Judy and nothing got in a way this time.
And I thought that was the tree you were harvesting. It's interesting how it fell like that. Enjoy your trip to Denmark and the barbecue.
If it ever comes down of its own accord we'll harvest it. We can't work out how to get it to fall or we'd be onto it.
@JudyEv I can see that as a problem, but nothing to worry about.
@kepweng (16794)
• Waikoloa, Hawaii
is the Tree have cut and fall? i thibk thier a lot dingoes thier
We don't have dingoes in our area thank goodness. Hopefully one day the tree might fall down by itself.