A business shirt has a second life

Bunbury, Australia
When we go out using the chain-saw or cleaning up rubbish, I always wear jeans and a long-sleeved shirt. This protects me a little from scratches and scrapes. Sometimes we will be loading branches onto the trailer then later dragging them off at the spot where they’ll be burnt. It’s easy to get scratches when doing this so I try to wear appropriate clothing. So today I borrowed one of Vince’s old business shirts to wear. It was one that had stains on the pocket from a leaky biro so it wasn’t one of his best ones. The trees we cut up today had been in a fire so we were both filthy by the time we finished. Although I’m smiling my brow is furrowed. We had just finished when the photo was taken and I was hot, itchy and starting to ache. But I’ll be right after a good sleep. So I’m wondering, if you have business shirts or blouses, are your old ones recycled at the end of their ‘professional’ life?
I have had shirts that have become old and just comfortable for everyday wear and I have loved some flannel shirts that have worn out in the elbows and I make them into flannel short-sleeved shirts. I see by the photo that you have worked hard. Wish my surrounding looked like yours. Everything here is in ice and snow and we continue to be in the deep freeze.
when does spring start in latvia?
@hereandthere real spring sets in about the second week of April. There can still be snow in March.
@RasmaSandra sounds like a very long winter
Yes I use them as work shirts or even rags lol.
They make good rags. I've done that with them too.
@moffittjc (44667)
• Gainesville, Florida
I always recycle old work shirts into "rags" to be used around the house for cleaning and such. Since I work for the government, and our work shirts have our city name and logo on them, we can't donate them to charity to help the needy, so we have to destroy old work shirts by either throwing them away or cutting them up into rags to be used for cleaning. Since I've been in my current job for over 15 years, I probably have close to 100 work shirts sitting in my closet, many of which I don't even wear anymore!
I got one very nice sweater from the op shop for Vince but it had a company logo on it so I very carefully unpicked it. I know that not all logos can be easily removed but it's possible in some cases.
@moffittjc (44667)
• Gainesville, Florida
@JudyEv I have a wonderful jacket from a previous employer that I've had tucked away in my closet for years. I pulled it out recently and decided to try and unpick the logo on it so that I can go have a new logo embroidered over the spot where the old logo was. It is tedious work because if you don't do it correctly you can ruin the clothing!
@moffittjc If the embroidery is finely done you seem to have to take a stitch at a time. Can you not put a pocket over the whole logo or is it somewhere where you can't do that?
@alberello75 (18427)
• Genova, Italy
Excuse me the question: but why, you cut the trees?
The trees on the golf course were dangerous and in danger of falling so they got permission to cut them down. We have a tile fire which we burn in the winter to keep the house warm.
@alberello75 (18427)
• Genova, Italy
@JudyEv Let's try to understand ... First there were the trees. The golf course, was certainly built in a definitely later time ...
@alberello75 I thought you meant why did we cut down the tree. Yes, the trees were there first but have been cleared to make room for the town, the golf course and many other amenities. I suppose it's called progress.
@PainsOnSlate (20420)
My dad wore a suit to work every day of his life working, so when he retired all his shirts were used by all of us when doing outside work. They are wonderful for saving our skin... You brought back a fun memory with that shirt photo...
When the boys were small and wanted to paint I would put one of Vince's shirts on back-to-front to save their clothes.
@JudyEv You are very smart, my husband rarely had dress shirts so we didn't have them but my mother made wonderful aprons ( full body) that worked like a charm. My husband was a coach so shorts and t shirts were his work clothes.
@PainsOnSlate I loved being able to say to the kids that they didn't have to worry about getting dirty or covered in paint or whatever.
I can easily imagine you were tired and itchy, this is a hard work. I recycle clothing to wear in the garden. It's a shame to waste new clothing.
I have donated some to the op shop as Vince prefers to wear polo shirts when he is working.
@JudyEv I have donated to charities bags of clothes in the past few weeks.
You look exhausted
I was pretty tired at this point but I've bounced back since. Now we have to do it all again probably early next week. I think we might ask Vince's brother if he is able to help us.
@Inlemay (16729)
• South Africa
I have recycled many a clothing item. It makes good sense
It does indeed. I've seen shoulder bags made from denim shorts and they looked quite classy.
@Freelanzer (9496)
Yes those old business shirts are great for working outdoors. I always keep a few handy for the garden during summer as they protect me from those nasty mosquito bites.
I'm sure they protected me too from lots of scratches from the ti-tree in particular as its foliage is very harsh.
Yes, I do!
There is always something they can be used for.
I get maximum use from clothes and those that are past it usually end up rags.
They make good rags and my mother used to cut them up into hankies.
lol I haven't worked for a long time and hubs was blue collar not white color so he still wears his old tee shirts lol But that is a good use for his older shirt!!
@JudyEv Or a cruise lol you do need a collared shirt to get in the dining room lol
@BelleStarr Yes, we took a few - quite a few - on our cruise. It was fun to get dressed up each evening.
@JudyEv We met a very nice couple who we shared the dinner table with and it made the trip even more enjoyable.
@FayeHazel (19112)
Oh yes, those style shirts are the best for working in summer. Lightweight enough to breath - but also dense enough to protect from scratches
That's true. I wasn't looking forward to the long sleeves but I wasn't nearly as hot as I thought I'd be.
@FayeHazel (19112)
@JudyEv Thankfully it was light colored too
@FayeHazel Nearly all his old shirts are light-coloured.
@dgobucks226 (13308)
Some clothing I wear for decades until they fall apart or come back into style, lol. But yes, I will use former nice clothing as gardening or cleanup attire
Some shirts seem to last forever don't they?
@dgobucks226 (13308)
@JudyEv Yes, I have a few that are decades old. Oops, that sounds pretty embarrassing
@dgobucks226 Dozens of ours are decades old!
@valmnz (12754)
• New Zealand
My work clothes have now become my round the house clothes. And Kevin's old t-shirts make good nighties!
Someone on here wears the button-up shirts as nighties so I might try that. There is still half a wardrobe full of them.
@valmnz (12754)
• New Zealand
@JudyEv ha ha we probably wouldn't have worn such things to bed in our younger days
@valmnz We went to an outdoor movie last night and there were teenage girls running round in onesies. If we'd had them when we were younger, we certainly wouldn't have worn them outside of the house. Fashions certainly change.
@anikoonline (3208)
• Hungary
My business blouses are not comfortable, so I don't use it later.
If they are not comfortable you never want to wear them do you?
• Hungary
@JudyEv You're right. But I have to work pretty to work.
@anikoonline Yes, we need to look smart when we go to work.
@zarlamain (24889)
That's really cool what you did with the business shirt. I just keep them in the back of my closet. There's not much I want to do with them at the moment.
Maybe you'll find a use for them another day.
@zarlamain (24889)
@JudyEv Maybe! I will hold on to them for now!
@YrNemo (14396)
I don't often yet rid of old shirts. I have some here that are about 40 yo, with paint spots in various colors.
They can last for ever can't they?
@YrNemo (14396)
@JudyEv true too, and that is why we just can't get rid of things....
Most of mine are either donated or just simply given.
It's pointless keeping them all isn't it?
@JudyEv true. I'd rather give ti away to someone who would have use for these rather than keeping it all.
@mydanods (6749)
• Nigeria
I just discarded one of my beloved shirts. It was showing signs of discoloring It was sad to have to let it go. Maybe when one of the men that takes recycled materials come around, I will gift it to them. I make it a practice to buy new shirts every 6 months so I have lots of discarded shirts.
It can be very difficult to give up a favourite shirt can't it?
@mydanods (6749)
• Nigeria
@JudyEv Really difficult.