Nurdle News

Nurdles in a jar.
By pgn
@pgntwo (22553)
Carthage, Tunisia
Been down to the nearest shore recently? Seen any little coloured dots or pellets of plastic on the sand or shingle? Those plastic pellets are nurdles. They don't decompose. They don't degrade. They are a threat to any shoreline and the natural wildlife that lives there. And there are oodles of them polluting our oceans, lakes and waterways. Collect those nurdles, and then find out where you can safely dispose of them. Before it's too late. PS. Those of you who thought "Kenneth Williams" on reading the title are ok in my book
WHAT ARE NURDLES? Nurdles are small plastic pellets about the size of a lentil. Countless billion are used each year to make nearly all our pla...
@garymarsh6 (14430)
I rarely get the chance to go to the seaside. There is quite some push regarding plastic waste at the moment. I have seen some very innovative means of turning this waste plastic into other things like building blocks, clothes, road covering. The culprits are the thoughtless people who do not dispose of their rubbish responsibly!
@pgntwo (22553)
• Carthage, Tunisia
Arts and crafts make a fine way to use up such materials, but not really a viable long-term solution. Like shredding old tyres to make all-weather sports pitches, fine until some 15years later when a link between increased cancer rates is tied back to the chemicals released by such surfaces (read about a German football club that studied the rise in cancer rates amongst those who trained on the original pitch vs those who were brought up with the artificial one)...
@garymarsh6 (14430)
@pgntwo Hmm oh dear that is a terrible indictment. It seems that the things that have been produced by man to ease our lives in turn out to harm us and the environment!
@garymarsh6 (14430)
@pgntwo Absolutely. Funnily enough we were only talking about this earlier and about how glass was all recyclable when we were young and how we as kids used to collect all empty bottles returning them to the shop who would give us money back on the bottles irrespective of whether we had bought them. Coke bottles were a pretty good earner for kids!
I don't get to the shore that often. Thanks for sharing this. I see there is a bit about these online so I will read up on them. Another disaster concerning nurdles. Here is the link
South Africa is struggling to clean up billions of tiny plastic pieces, known as nurdles, which have coated 2,000km of coastline.
@pgntwo (22553)
• Carthage, Tunisia
A lot of press about them too, none of it good.
They are dangerous, they are manufactured in the United States and the rest of the world says nothing. Some are colored, most are white, almost transparent. I do not believe I can see them.
@pgntwo (22553)
• Carthage, Tunisia
In this day and age, country borders do not prevent the manufacturers from having factories in many geographical locations around the world, where labour or energy or resources are the cheapest...
@pgntwo This is true, but some plastic materials should be banned and no more produced. We are far to be able to solve our pollution problems if we do nothing.
@pgntwo (22553)
• Carthage, Tunisia
@LadyDuck Using the cheapest is not necessarily always the best. I agree, some products should be banned, in the same way that certain gases are now banned (refrigerant and propellant gases that never decompose, chlorofluorocarbons are one such family of substances that are now controlled).
Thanks for the info and the link. I've never heard of nurdles before although I know there is a huge amount of plastic waste in the ocean.
@pgntwo (22553)
• Carthage, Tunisia
I had to read it again to check, but nurdles is what the plastic pellets, the raw material for your 3-litre plastic milk carton, are called.
@pgntwo It is just amazing sometimes to see how much plastic filth turns up along coastlines and river banks.
@pgntwo (22553)
• Carthage, Tunisia
@JudyEv Yes. Horrid.
@DaddyEvil (25922)
• Aurora, Missouri
Hmmm... I've never seen them in or around the streams, rivers and lakes in the Ozarks, pgn. Hang on a minute... Nope, not a single article reports nurdles in the Ozarks. It is strange, though... They are manufactured in the United States but the entire world uses them in their manufacturing processes. Ain't that a kick in the tush?
@pgntwo (22553)
• Carthage, Tunisia
Just a bit of a size 10 up the bum, yes. Maybe the Nurdles are called somthin' else there... like rubbers and erasers?
@DaddyEvil (25922)
• Aurora, Missouri
@pgntwo No, there actually aren't any around here, or at least not at the lake Pretty and I swim in. We were there today, uhhh... being cheap, if you want to know. (That drive makes a nice trip when you just want to get out but have no place you need to be.) We actually scooped up some sand to add to an above-ground garden bed we are making. I found some slivers of broken glass in the sand, but no miniature plastic balls. (Four 5 gallon buckets worth of sand is now in the bottom or our raised garden bed. )
@pgntwo (22553)
• Carthage, Tunisia
@DaddyEvil Well doesn't that just take the biscuit! I dunno how many millions of times I've read stuff that turns out just to be an exaggeration... Good that you took the opportunity to haul some buckets of lake sand back for your raised beds. Even better to hear that no evidence of nurdles or even smaller microbeads was found, it is of concern in Ireland as runoff from waste treatment enters our rivers and lakes.
Scientists at the Marine and Freshwater Research Centre at the Galway-Mayo Institute of Technology are trying to find out how plastic pollution is impacting ...
Well I'm ok in your book then I didn't know specifically about these pellets, but I know there is a big problem with plastic in general.
@pgntwo (22553)
• Carthage, Tunisia
We'll be the end of us yet, I fear.
@Morleyhunt (20996)
I've been to the "seaside" almost daily die the last three weeks....Nurdles? I suppose they could be under the ice....
@pgntwo (22553)
• Carthage, Tunisia
They're there, lurking, just beneath the surface... . Best seen after the t'has, I suspect
I'll try to pick them when I go to the beach next time. So far I couldn't remember seeing them in the beaches I've been to.
@pgntwo (22553)
• Carthage, Tunisia
They are quite small and end up pushed far into the root systems of any plants along the shore too. They are most obvious at low tide after onshore winds have washed them up in the surf.