Transformation

@Morleyhunt (21017)
Today's job is the kitchen cabinets... The one bank has had all the knobs/handles removed....the holes filled, sanded and primed. Yesterday I put a first coat on. It's light over dark, so the results were not particularly encouraging. This morning I applied a second coat....much better. A third coat should have these cabinets updated and ready to perform for a couple of years while I determine exactly how I want my new kitchen to look. Isn't it amazing the change a couple of coats of paint can make?
Very nice! That should lighten the kitchen up.
@Morleyhunt (21017)
it is so much brighter.
@Morleyhunt It will make eating a pleasure.
@Morleyhunt (21017)
@just4him the first coat of paint looked horrible, but when the second coat was applied I knew instantly that I had made the right decision.
So the photo on the left is the before photo?
@Morleyhunt (21017)
Yes it is....tonight I should be able to get a better photo as the change progresses. It's a temporary fix....the kitchen needs to be replaced, but this will freshen and renew it for a couple of years and not cost a lot. (I can almost pay for it with my Mylot earnings.)
@Morleyhunt oh well I’m excited to see how it turns out as I think the before looked beautiful as it was. So odd the handle was in the center of the cupboard door though.
@Morleyhunt (21017)
@shaggin the cabinets looked better in the photo.
@moffittjc (45398)
• Gainesville, Florida
I like the lighter color! It really lightens up the kitchen!
@Morleyhunt (21017)
The more I get painted, the more I'm liking it. Normally I like a natural wood finish....but these cabinets are 40 year old melamine on pressboard. They aren't in horrid condition, but I can't afford to replace them immediately...so this freshens them for a few more years.
@moffittjc (45398)
• Gainesville, Florida
@Morleyhunt I'm like you, in that I like a natural wood finish. But it sounds like you found a suitable alternative to your current cabinets until such time as you can make a more permanent change. I hope you like the outcome and that it holds up well for you for a few years!
That sure will make a difference. Lots of work!
@Morleyhunt (21017)
The first coat looked horrible but the second....Wow! What an improvement.
ack! ya painted wood?? jest kiddin', but i'm a wood gal myself. yer correct though, such lightens the room 'n i'm certain 'll 've much character there'n yer kitchen once completed.
@Morleyhunt (21017)
It's melamine.....the cabinets are pressed board with a melamine veneer. It is kind of tired looking and a bit beat up. The kitchen needs a makeover (new kitchen), but I need to decide on a better layout before I consider paying a lot of money to redo the kitchen. For now, it's a coat of paint (colour is called kettle corn) and new urethaned wooden knobs.
@Morleyhunt i've cheap mobile home cabinets so's can empathize. sadly mine'd not take to a sandin' to be painted 's i fear they'd jest plum fall 'part. currently the upper cabinets 're bein' supported by ol' table legs....
@Morleyhunt (21017)
@crazyhorseladycx these are the original cabinets....the home is almost 40 years old. Some of the cabinets are in pretty rough shape...the paint will help hold gem together for a bit longer.
They are looking good
@Morleyhunt (21017)
Thanks. I am looking forward to seeing the completed project, too bad I won't have knobs on the doors until May.
@Morleyhunt I love watching a transformation.
@Morleyhunt (21017)
@Tampa_girl7 it is much better already tonight.
Which photo is the new one?
@Morleyhunt (21017)
The off white cabinets are the painted ones. It's still early in the process.....more photos as I get more done.
@Morleyhunt Looking forward to the finished product. I'm sure your kitchen will look lovely.
@Morleyhunt (21017)
@toniganzon It's looking much better already. Brighter!
@Morleyhunt What color do you want them to be?
@Morleyhunt (21017)
I covered the dark melamine with a buttery cram colour....called kettle corn. It freshened the kitchen up.
@Morleyhunt That is great.
Very well done!! Those cabinets will brighten up the kitchen, for sure.
@Morleyhunt (21017)
It's only about 1/3 done but it look so much fresher and brighter already.
@Morleyhunt I would love to do that to my cabinets. Now, I must convince my husband.
@dya80dya (5579)
This looks so good. I like it. It's a nice kitchen.
@Morleyhunt (21017)
The colour freshened the kitchen....I'm still waiting for better layout for my kitchen.
i need to repaint my cabinet doors yet again,speaking of. how my family keeps staining them like they do is beyond me. i think next time i might ditch the white.
@Morleyhunt (21017)
My cabinets were a dark finish. The colour I painted is called "kettle corn" a nice soft yellow. It matches the colour of my china cabinet which will be housed next to these cabinets. I'm thinking a light pine green for the kitchen....but then I spotted a fresh looking yellow green that might look good as well.
Nice work!
@Morleyhunt (21017)
Thank you. I'm quite pleased with what I've done to this point.
@mom210 (6771)
• Atlanta, Georgia
I hope to do some upgrading this summer, we are in need of it for sure. Yours looks real good.
@Morleyhunt (21017)
I've been busy the last two weeks adding a bit or colour to our new home and now freshening the kitchen. I need to paint the master bedroom yet before I head back east as well as the kitchen walls. Each small change makes it more our own.
It sure can make a lot of difference. It would be nice to update ours a little bit.
@Morleyhunt (21017)
This is the less expensive, short term fix. Eventually it needs to have the kitchen redone...about 25% of the cupboard space is inaccessible....poor layout. Give me a year in this kitchen to decide how best to transform it.
I thought of you just a few days ago, and wondered what kinds of projects you're working on. I see that you have been really busy, it will be nice when you finish.
@Morleyhunt (21017)
The painting is a work in progress.....more stories to follow.
awesome cabinets
@Morleyhunt (21017)
They are looking renewed with the off-white colour....now for some wooden knobs.
Certainly a coat of paint can make a huge difference to the look of a room.
@Morleyhunt (21017)
It is so much brighter....I can't wait until it's finished!
Yes, paint can make all the difference!
@Morleyhunt (21017)
So far I'm transforming about one third at a time....wow! What a difference!
@garymarsh6 (14429)
Absolutely it will feel like you have got a brand new kitchen and just with a lick of paint. Well done you!
@Morleyhunt (21017)
It won't be brand new, but it certainly is beginning to look much fresher and brighter.